Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 4878 Posts

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,224 Posts
We have a few local breweries switching gears right now turning ethanol into hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,655 Posts
I have read where masks don't stop the infection... And in some cases make you more prone to it. Unless you have a full face respirator a mask won't help you at all. It does help those that are infected not spread it though...

Rodney

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,327 Posts
That's true for the general public who are usually wearing a mask that doesn't fit properly or the wrong type of mask. A properly fitting N95 mask will stop you from getting infected via your mouth or nose, eyes are still exposed though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,213 Posts
I'm of mixed opinion and is colored by the fact that there are apparently not enough masks available for medicals and first responders so naturally the lemmings and sans coulottes will be advised not to get one.

Personally think a mask, gloves (nitrile), cap, and wraparound glasses cannot hurt. Followed by an at least 20 second hot shower with antibacterial soap when return home is appropriate if very very nervous.

That said there are four levels of masks available: common dust/pollen/wood, metal, and drywall working masks that at unrated but probably 10 micron. Might as well use a bandito scarf (which will catch droplets)
Second are the very common P2.5 masks. These stop particles at least 2.5 microns in size. Most viruses/bacteria are smaller.
Next is the P95 medical mask. These stop particles down to .3 micron these stop airborne pathoges and usually have a charcoal filter layer. HEPA filters are similar. These are good for close contact with the infected and take a slight effort to breath.
Finally there are the P100 masks. These stop just about everything.

However the Corona is not airborne, it is spread via cough and sneezing droplets. Almost anything will block these from reaching mouth/nose and wraparound sunglasses will protect eyes. The head is the most common infection vector. Protect that and protect yourself IMNSHO.

BTW I have been using MERV-13 filters in my AC at home for years. These are said to catch 90% of 2.5 micron and 50% of .3 micron particles. It is the densest filter most home ACs can handle. Also HEPA room air purifiers are under $100 at Amazon. If I had a sick member of the family at home there would be one in their room. Look for multilayers with a charcoal filter element.

BTW, wonder if there will be an effect on male styles that masksa work best over a clean shaven face.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,334 Posts
Yesterday on the Children's Health Exam mobile unit ( a big Winnebago) that I drive, all the staff was being fitted for full head to toe protective gear, it included a large hood that covered the entire head and shoulders. I was told later in the day that they are going to stop using the Children's Health van to exam children only as of next Monday.
The van will be placed at the main health center clinic and used to pre-examine the Corona Virus people, to limit exposure of the Virus to the health center building. They have 14 buildings in the state of Nevada.
The NV Health Centers has 3 mobile units all of them will be used to screen for the Corona virus, one was sent to Carson City NV, one at Las Vegas center and mine at the main health clinic in North Las Vegas.

My manager told me since I am over 65 I am considered "high-risk" and can not work till the Corona Virus is under control. More info will be coming early next week on what will happen.

Nevada has over 400 cases of the Virus and 10 deaths as of this morning.

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (97k miles)
1,088 Posts
Wont the groceries rot if left outside for 48 hours? Especially stuff like eggs, meat, milk, etc

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
The facilities my wife works at have either outdoor/drive-up testing or a separate entrance.
NOBODY gets in without having their temperature read and adults enter alone to minimize exposure.

Dave is correct on the mask info. Type AND fitment are crucial.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
2,213 Posts
Have a mini-fridge I could put on the doorstep for perishable deliveries. Not sure what 48 hours accomplishes that a disinfectant spray could not.

Latest word is "The US economy will experience the largest economic contraction on record ". Still waiting for XLR prices to drop, considering a C5 'vette with 6 speed and T-top mostly 5 spoke wheels but like the XLR dash better.

Statistics do not mean much yet. Just saw one that indicates 5 recoveries for each death at present but many still infected who have not died.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
The number for our county is increasing, but my town count is low.
Most of the numbers are coming from the metropolitan area which also has things like an airport and other forms of public transportation. The wife has been working her second gig quite a bit to keep up with demand for testing.

This thread was alot more upbeat when we were talking about women and booze.
20200307_144635.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,120 Posts
Im going to bed. Sore throat and cold. Damn - you get nervous about everything these days.

Work told me I need to thin out my department. I such hate doing it. Never get used to it.
At least they go home with full government paid salary to come back in two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (97k miles)
1,088 Posts
Hey that sounds like a good thing Ejs. I wouldn't mind getting a two month paid vacation with job security for a return.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,120 Posts
Bob. You are right. I considered to sack myself but was not allowed.
Anyhow - I think it is never fun to be one of the “chosen” ones. And this time I wont pick the guys on the floor, but also key employees up in the ranks to show solidarity.
The guys going home have to give one week of holidays to get full salary in the period.
I hope things are better in 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Selfishly, it's kinda nice to come home from work and not have to take the kids anywhere.
They're eating me out of house and home though!

The level of paranoia is so high in public places, I believe you could rob a bank with a snot laden tissue.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
2,213 Posts
Would think a paid two week national holiday would just align us with Europe.

BTW the lack of vetting by Amazon is starting to show: received an "N95" mask (am considered at risk) to discover it is P2.5 and some aerosol sprays that were supposed to "Disinfecting cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria and germs" and turned out to be a duster.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,086 Posts
What in the hectometer is going on with people, it's bad enough that the world is being told by reliable sources there is no sure thing available to fight the virus at the moment, but that doesn't stop those who comprise the underbelly of the earth from coming out of their holes offering some form of fake deliverance, and obviously no shortage of those willing to believe. 300+ die in Iran from drinking a methanol cure for the virus, which they would have stood a much better chance against if they had actually caught it than drinking that stuff. Then again, in a way it's true, if they never had it, they never will.

4681 - 4700 of 4878 Posts