Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 STS
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 STS, 150, 000 mi. Passenger mirror dips in reverse, doesn't come back up, or all the way. Is the problem inside the mirror housing? Clean and lube?
Doug

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
I assume you know that you can disable that reverse parking feature if you don't like or use it. I did because I rarely need it and feel that it just overworks the motor. Does it come back to position when you use the manual adjust buttons? If so, try reseting the memory. Maybe someone readjusted it for you. If the problem persists with the manual buttons, then I would suspect a failing motor or posibbly just in need of some lube. Either way I would guess it is inside the mirror housing.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
I noticed in my 2001 on both the mirrors and the steering wheel that the memory recall doesnt work well if "minor" adjustments are made.

Seems that I have to move WAY out of position, then move it to where I want and set the memory.
Trying to do a "fine" adjustment of a "set" memory, then setting that, doesnt seem to work.

Had noticed that my mirror wasnt going back to the set position as well until I realized this. It kinda moved round as though it was confused. Seemed to be ok once I moved it to its extremes then set it.

I have that curb assist turned off now though seeing as we're into winter here.
I dont know what the gearing is made of, or if there is any kind of pressure sensor installed.
So dont want to take the chance of shifting into reverse on a cold start with a frozen mirror and end up stripping the gears.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Murphyg,

Very Smart!... I have taken one apart and they are mostly plastic inside. Plus two electronic sensors and two "toy" sized 12V motors. While they look like they are designed to survive a good freezing... I can attest that It only took one good freeze to break off the little foot of my driver side memory sensor..

This memory feature is a major money maker for the OE... The total cost of all of the plastic bits that make it work can't add up to more than $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts