Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been daily driving my '05 lately, rather than having that be my toy (the '09 has taken that job...:lildevil:) &, I must say, that there are still a few things from the '05 that I prefer over the '09.

NOTE: these are MINOR complaints, not significant, so please keep this in mind when commenting...

1. Am I the only one that finds the tach/speedo a little hard to read at an angle? Esthetically, GM NAILED it; I LOVE the new look of the tach/speedo. But I often find myself having a hard time reading them, especially if I'm at a little bit of an angle (say, like if you're leaning on your elbow while driving). This is probably because they are recessed a little too much. Disappointing here because it looks so much better, but I do prefer how much more functional the '05 tach/speedo was.

2. Along those lines, I very much like the fact that the '05 displays much more information, at the same time, over the '09. For instance, in my '05, I can read, say, all 4 tire pressures, digital speed, total miles on the car, and the instant MPG meter...ALL DISPLAYED AT ONCE. Why? Because both the tach and speedo display information, as well as the nav/radio unit. On the '09? Yeah, I CAN get all of that information, but I have to toggle through a bunch to get to it. Kind-of lame in my opinion

3. (Okay, this is lame for both years) Am I the only one who finds it annoying that the rear-view mirror DEFAULTS into a dimmed status? Why doesn't it default into "normal" mode with a dimmer as an option? :banghead:

4. I very well could be biased, as I'm more "used to" the '05 NAV, but I still like the '05 NAV unit over the '09 unit. I'm probably missing something, so be gentle with your criticisms, but it just seems easier to use to me. Do I need more practice or is the '05 NAV unit better?

5. (Okay, another both year shortcoming) XM Traffic is near-worthless... lol

6. (If you get the CTS armrest upgrade...) The CTS armrest (upgrade)/center console for the '05 is bigger and better than the '09. Granted, the ability to plug in your ipod is golden (rather than upgrade that in your '05), but I wish I had the little bit of more-room that the CTS upgraded armrest provides in my '05.

Like I said, these are fairly minor. The '09 is such a better car than the '05 it isn't even funny.

Hell, the shifter and, especially, the differential, alone are worth their weight in gold, so don't misunderstand. BUT, since the car is so good, we might as well air out everything so that GM can now try and make the "perfect" car. :D

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Heretic!!! How dare you say you liked anything about the 05 better. I tried that once and everyone tried to bite my head off here. Get the pitchforks everyone! I'll bring the torches.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
I had the '05 V for 4 years and I loved the car except for that annoying Axle Tramp!! That was a major flaw in my book and shifting hard in the upper RPM range was just asking for some violent feedback from the diff!

Your point #2 is one that I would say is a bit of a minor annoyance with the '09 model. I liked the multiple digital displays showing more information at once (ie. all tire pressures on one screen with a visual graphic icon of the vehicle). I used to have oil pressure on one display and speedo/odometer on the other. Now, I am constantly cycling through the single display to see the items that interest me. The tire pressures on 2 pages as well as no visual graphic is a bit of a pain as well.
Your point #5.. Yes, doesn't do much for me either.

Tach and Speedo are very easy to read (for me at least) in all postions.

I prefer the dimmed rear view mirror but wasn't aware that the default could not be changed.
Give the new NAV some time and you'll see it is far easier to 'navigate' the system functions and points. Learning to use the DEST button is invaluble.

My '05 armrest console door was flimsy and didn't have a lot of room for much of anything under the door.. it never really closed shut, it just hung open really.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
When I first got the CTS, i got quite frustrated with the user interface. I tried to fire of this email to the factory:

#1. The little lcd readout behind the steering wheel can only show one item. My porsche readout shows 3 items and you can program which 3 readouts and then a small handle on the steering wheel allows the bottom of the 3 items to scroll through the remaining items.

#2. Organize the readouts on the lcd better. Information readouts and setups are mixed. I always have to see the compass calibration setups when I want to read tire pressure and transmission temps? Why are the average MPG and the instant MPG not next to each other? Where is the differential temp readout? (I had it go hot once after a spirited driver, I read the warning comes on after 300F).

#3 Ability to show/configure these items on the big LCD. On the Infiniti M45 there is a screen that shows the tire pressure of all 4 tires at once in a nice graphic. It allows me to keep up with maintenance schedule issues like tire rotation and oil/filter changes.

#4 What is the deal with bluetooth? There is no interface on the screen to do anything like make a call? To configure bluetooth? To even confirm that bluetooth is active. The infiniti M45 constantly shows the signal strenght on my phone on the LCD next to the outside temperature. I want it to load my directory from my iphone. If there is an incoming call, let me press the big select button, not reach over to the lcd.

#5 What is the deal with the help system? Once I find the item in the help system, let me then execute the command by pressing the item on the LCD screen!

#6 What is the deal with voice commands? The nav commands only work if the nav screen is on, the audio commands only when the audio is selected on the screen? I have to say "hands free" to make a call? Ridiculous.

#7 Audio playback. Playback of cds/mps do not show the length of the song. Do not show the number of tracks on an album.
When selecting by album, it shows album titles WITHOUT the artist name... Idiotic!!!!
When selecting by artist, it shows all the songs from all albums in alphabetic order? Not what I am looking for. I want the songs from each album together!
When selecting by folder, it sorts all the songs in a folder by alphabetically mp3-tag-song-name???? It should keep the original filename order without using mp3 tags.
STOP alphabetizing the folders. Show the folders in order that they are on disk (they are alpabetically in a folder, but a disk can have nested subfolders, so keep the folder list in the order that they are encountered).
Play the songs in the folder in the order that they are in the folder. The filename of the song determines the order, NOT THE MP3 TRACK NAME. THAT NEVER MAKES SENCE. THEN AT LEAST USE THE MP3TAG TRACK#.

#8 Navigation.
Would like zoom in/out buttons on the instrument panel.. The + and - buttons on the screen are too awkward and confusing. Again, i don't like reaching over to touch the LCD. The M45 has nicely integrated buttons for all NAV functions on the dash.

#9 Clock configuration?
Very sophisticated clock configuration screen. What is the point?
Clock does not show up on LCD screen. Don't know where it's used.

#10 seat memory. More than once did I accidentally restore a seat position instead of saving it! I cannot operate the seat restore while driving.
Porsche has the best seat memory. It has 4 buttons labeled: Mem, Key, 1 and 2. When you press the Mem+KEY together, it stores the current seat and assigns it to the key that is currently used in the car.
Press Mem+1 or Mem+2 and you can save the seat setting in 2 additional slots, so a total of 4 slots (2 keys + slot 1,2).
Now the important part: I CAN RESTORE MY SEAT POSITION WHILE DRIVING. When I press the Key, 1 or 2 buttons and hold it, the seat starts moving. When I release the button, the seat movement stops (safety in case the seat is not moving the way you like it). The seat only moves while holding down the button until it is in the right place.
Also, the seat restore is not very precise. If I move the seat a little forward or back from a saved position and then to a restore, nothing happens! I have to press an other seat button and then the saved seat button to restore.
And how about a steering wheel/seat exit strategy where exit is activated when you open the door and entry is executed by turning the key. No pushing of buttons needed. Again, that's how the m45 is.

All in all, I've learned to live with it. I organize my mp3s on the thumb drive so they always show in order by incorporating the artist name in the album titles and the track# in the track title, but that was a pain. I rarely use the seat memory buttons, won't let the wife drive the car. :) Have preprogrammed a few phone numbers, have to stop myself from yelling at the voice interface when it tests my patience.

Hans.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
I like that the 05 has fender tops and hood visible while driving, the 09 seems to have less front end showing with the exception of the hood bulge. The gauges are great in the 09 but a little too far recessed in the "tunnels" for me. The side view mirrors on the 09 are quite different to get used to compared to 05 also.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,718 Posts
The new tuned car's power must be growing on him. :)

Norm

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
I have yet to see any positive comments on the traffic feature. Perhaps the people who see no benefit from it live in areas without crippling traffic. I live in Atlanta, and this feature has been a godsend for me, with our terrible traffic at all hours. I especially like the detour feature. I find myself using the NAV even when I know the best route, just to receive en-route traffic alerts and re-routings. It has definitely saved me time. The weather alerts are also useful, especially with the terrible weather we have had this spring.

My mirror seems to default to normal, as did the one on my '08. I don't know if there is any programing for it.

I also would like to see more information on the screens. Suggestion: put the compass back in the mirror, or make it more prominent in the NAV, to free up a line. Suggestion: put four gauges in the right cluster, including oil pressure; there is plenty of room. Suggestion: regroup info, as stated above, and add "gas used" like on the SRX. Also, I'd like a nice, normal low fuel light, and have the range to empty go down to the end accurately, as opposed to low range with low fuel, which doesn't tell you much. A bigger tank would be nice, too. Suggestion: how about a "performance screen" on the NAV screen, with all pertinent operating parameters showing at the same time, to use while driving hard and monitoring everything at a glance. Suggestion: oil level gauge, or at least warning. Suggestion: probably would be an option, but I would like to see something like Porsche has when you combine "sport chrono" with their NAV: one can actually track speeds and G's on a track or a road, and it can keep the info lap after lap, and can be downloaded to a computer or handheld. THAT would be cool!

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,718 Posts
Hans, you must play navigator every time you two go out. Personally would never have time to figure that stuff out if I wasn't in the right seat. :)

Norm

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)
297 Posts
I also miss the multiple displays. I also miss the oil and transmission temperature readings.

And the compass calibration should really be under the configuration menu and not vehicle info.

The sad part is all this is probably easily fixed in software...except for the fact they'd have to pay someone to do it and validate the changes....so it will never happen.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
2. Along those lines, I very much like the fact that the '05 displays much more information, at the same time, over the '09. For instance, in my '05, I can read, say, all 4 tire pressures, digital speed, total miles on the car, and the instant MPG meter...ALL DISPLAYED AT ONCE. Why? Because both the tach and speedo display information, as well as the nav/radio unit. On the '09? Yeah, I CAN get all of that information, but I have to toggle through a bunch to get to it. Kind-of lame in my opinion
Thought that was annoying, as well. They just went in the parts bin and shared what all other GM/Cadillac cars were doing, which I hated. So user-unfriendly. Meh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts