Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A old friend brought me his 2010 DTS yesterday an told me the smell in his car was so bad they could not ride in it, The car is garage kept an not left in rain, but has a ungodly mildew stink. cabin filter is new under hood, an i find no wet spots in carpet. Is there a filter behind the glove box or does anyone have any ideals?

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,625 Posts
take out the cabin filter? and look in there, maybe a dead rodent? Does the AC drain on the ground when running? if not clean out the drain tube.. you live in a high humidity area so it could be mold in air ducts, spray a can of lysol while the fans are running full blast. there may be a product for this on amazon, hopefully someone who has been down this rabbit hole can chime in

Reactions: budroe

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,142 Posts
No, the cabin filter is all you have.

I agree with Tripwire, but DO NOT use Lysol, unless you like the smell. I did that once and I smelled Lysol for a year. I'm sure there are other products made for this that do not have a smell that lingers.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,675 Posts
Years back there were posts and threads in here - CF - about mildew smells. Was a GM TSB on how to spray a GM mildewcide into a hole in the HVAC intake plenum. Maybe a Google search for "cadillac forums deville mildew smell" or some such ..........

yes, the LYSOL spray is forever.

Reactions: budroe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
First, figure out if the smell is coming out the vents.
Water could have gotten under the carpet and soaked the foam padding.
The smell is so bad it is very strong everywhere, drain is open, I cleaned car on inside, pulled back carpet to check for water stains, even trunk was ok but it stunk back there too. I sprayed sanitizer all over the the carpets, removed the cabin filter an turned the blower motor on an sprayed a can of sanitizer in the intake of the hvac. This car is garage kept an rarley in the rain, Just not sure where the smell is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,625 Posts
I think you need to be very accurate in your " smell description" - any bodies in the trunk? has to be something molding or rotting..... see the cartalk episode about a roasted chicken being forgotten under a seat LOL

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
8,072 Posts
More than likely it's in the carpet i bet... If it was me I'd take the carpets out and power wash them. Of course its8a bit of work and trunk may be the culprit. Did you check the spare tire well? Had a Buick wa notorius for getting water in there and man did it stank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't discount dead rodents under the intake manifold - it's dry - no coolant - open to the valley at both ends and is a known, discussed, common nesting place for snakes, mice, and rats.

When I purchased my used 2009 about 6 months ago and went through everything I found that the previous owners had actually placed DeCon pellets in the bottom of the air box. It worked, no rodents.

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
260 Posts
Do the DTS's still have the afterblow option that can be turned on? I had a mildew smell from my 98 Devillle, turning on the afterblow solved that problem.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Turns on blower motor after 45 minutes or so on high for a few minutes to dry the evap. Started mid 90s i believe on gm vehicles, unfortunately its only turned on at factory for southern deliveries....
It can be turned on though, not sure when/if made 100% across the board or if they stopped it.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
579 Posts
I'm not sure if it can be done on the DTS. For the blower to turn on, a physical switch needs to be turned.

On the Deville, the blower was controlled electronically.

5 mins before my destination, I put the blower on high and turn off the AC to help dry the evaporator.

I've also had some luck with this Amazon.com: Genuine GM Fluid 88861431 Odor Eliminator - 32 Ounce : Automotive

Every spring before putting a new cabin filter, I spray this in the HVAC intake right above the blower.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
2,625 Posts
NY? even the mildew has a attitude LOL, never had to consider this thank god, been to Delaware and houston in Aug.....no fun for me

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
7,242 Posts
When I purchased my used 2009 about 6 months ago and went through everything I found that the previous owners had actually placed DeCon pellets in the bottom of the air box. It worked, no rodents.
those pellets are not a repellent for rodents. They are anti-coagulants. The rodent must eat enough to get a lethal dose but where death occurs is any one's guess. And, NO, it doesn't make them want to go outside to get a drink of water.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Romo, it's a programming issue, need a tech2/tech2win to either turn option on or reprogram the module.
Gm turned it on be default for some models over the years.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Luxury III
1,674 Posts
Yes, my 2008 DTS has the after blow enabled. I hear it running sometimes when I come back to the car and the dealer told me what it was. So it is possible but I don't know how.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts