Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while since I checked on my oil level. I changed my Oil around 1500 miles ago.
This morning I start my car and I immediately notice something different, My engine has a different pitch, a higher wine.
I turn off the car and check on the oil, and not even the first dot shows any oil.
I go to the store and add 1 quart and it seems the fill up all the dots. but my car still has that distinctive wine pitch.

Im just curious if this could have caused anything major? the car seems to be running fine but I have no clue of what might have been damaged.
The higher pitch is almost unnoticeable to others around the car and it is slightly more noticeable in the cabin.

Any ideas or words of motivation, don't want to have any major issues with this car anymore.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
If one quart brought back up within range then the issue isn't running low, the car takes 5 quarts. There is also an engine oil low warning which works prior to engine start assuming your on level ground. If the oil pressure light didn't come on at any point you should be ok. All this being said the viscosity and quality of the remaining oil can potentially affect the engine. I've noticed with the oil being burned the car runs low but also the oil get's burned rather quick so increasing the oil change interval is necessary in addition to adding oil every fill up.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I may have just stayed paranoid and sometimes I hear small clicking when taping on the gas with the engine cover removed, But I believe it might just be the throttle body clicking when opening up.

I also noticed the plastic line that runs from back of the engine to the air intake connector was loose, im not talking about the lines that are on the intake gasket im talking about the line everyone talks about drilling a larger hole in the head to prevent oil consumption.

It seems the wine noise is gone, and I hope it was nothing serious

Thanks for the info briggy

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
If one quart brought back up within range then the issue isn't running low, the car takes 5 quarts. There is also an engine oil low warning which works prior to engine start assuming your on level ground. If the oil pressure light didn't come on at any point you should be ok. All this being said the viscosity and quality of the remaining oil can potentially affect the engine. I've noticed with the oil being burned the car runs low but also the oil get's burned rather quick so increasing the oil change interval is necessary in addition to adding oil every fill up.
Just a couple of corrections:

- According to GM the engine takes 6.0 quarts (with 0.5 a quart in filter)
- I have seen these engine spin a rod bearing without oil pressure light ever coming on

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
Sure but not what I was trying to correct. But he has a valid reason to be concerned. Again as I have mentioned an engine low oil-pressure light is not the sign to look for on these engines to suspect possible damage. I know someone who their engine spun a rod bearing when they ran a bit over a quart low and no warning of whatsoever appeared anywhere. That person had just an oil change not much over a thousand miles before the engine developed a noise that became louder very quickly, even after the oil was changed the damage was done. A new crankshaft, rod bearing, piston & rings, connecting rod and new gaskets were in order to complete the repair at the dealer. The car had 36K miles at the time, it never consumed oil before then, this was years ago, but as of present date this acquaintance's car never stopped consuming oil since the rebuild by a dealer.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Again as I have mentioned an engine low oil-pressure light is not the sign to look for on these engines to suspect possible damage. I know someone who their engine spun a rod bearing when they ran a bit over a quart low and no warning of whatsoever appeared anywhere.
I knew a lady once who swallowed a fly, I really dont' know why she swallowed a fly .....

The goal is not to escalate prognosis based on what is possible, but what is probable. One quart low, with no warning light = engine damage not probable. Typical oil starvation signs would be knocking, overheating, and loss of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a couple of corrections:

- According to GM the engine takes 6.0 quarts (with 0.5 a quart in filter)
- I have seen these engine spin a rod bearing without oil pressure light ever coming on
I must agree to this, i was coming back from a 200Km trip so not all that far, and doing around 120Km/h and shit started sounding weird and grinding noises and and such for me, i went through all the gages and having just had a oil change it was my last thing to think of so i drove it home and then in the morning to the shop, when they drained the oil they told me there was around 1 quart left in there and that the engine in this car uses the oil for alot more componets then most cars which is why i takes more, indeed took 6 they told me, so after a new system flush and more oil added i was lucky to not have wrecked my engine, but i never had a oil light and the oil % was at 87%, so at this point i was assuming clearly a leak in the system, i have had it in the shop 4 times since because it goes through a ton of oil so i carry a 5 quarts with me at all times and normally have to put that much in to make it through 2 months or 5000kms of driving and yet they can't find out whats causing the issue, no blue smoke ever no drips in the garage.... i guess mine just likes oil.

·
Registered
04 CTS Base, 3.6, 07 CTS Base
28 Posts
I must agree to this, i was coming back from a 200Km trip so not all that far, and doing around 120Km/h and shit started sounding weird and grinding noises and and such for me, i went through all the gages and having just had a oil change it was my last thing to think of so i drove it home and then in the morning to the shop, when they drained the oil they told me there was around 1 quart left in there and that the engine in this car uses the oil for alot more componets then most cars which is why i takes more, indeed took 6 they told me, so after a new system flush and more oil added i was lucky to not have wrecked my engine, but i never had a oil light and the oil % was at 87%, so at this point i was assuming clearly a leak in the system, i have had it in the shop 4 times since because it goes through a ton of oil so i carry a 5 quarts with me at all times and normally have to put that much in to make it through 2 months or 5000kms of driving and yet they can't find out whats causing the issue, no blue smoke ever no drips in the garage.... i guess mine just likes oil.
The 07 that I give my grandson, done the same thing. Sounded bad, was 4 quarts low, filled the oil to full and no more noise, just wondering if it has done bad damage. going to change oil this weekend, and cut filter open to see if a lot of metal, still had 11% on oil change. We forgot to tell him to check the oil. Hope its not destroyed!!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
NEVER FOLLOW THE % OIL CHANGE HEADS UP !!! Even GM has modified the oil usage as it isn't realistic and doesn't account for used oil. If you own a CTS 2 gen check your oil every fill up. I typically run a quart low between fill ups believe it or not this is normal. Most of the oil is burned through the PVC system which sucks oil into the manifold. I've also heard discussion on the sump leaking at the seams while driving. my CTS .... my wife's CTS is guilty of both

1 - 13 of 13 Posts