Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, if all of you remember my ex-girlfriend's 1991 Sedan de Ville, or if you don't here's the shots from the day we bought it....

Well she told me today she plans to move to Manhattan and won't need a car there so she's thinking she should sell it. She told me she'd sell it to me discounted because she wants to sell it to someone she knows will take care of it. Now the car has around the same mileage my Fleetwood has, around 130k. 4.9 V8, new cat, muffler, power steering, and sadly because she's been driving with a blindfold on apparently, new hood, grille, headlights, and a new fender and front end from a previous accident. Car's in great cosmetic shape and mechanical, you just can't kill her car, she's tried many times.... Haha. So yeah any thoughts? I absolutely love her car. I've driven it tons of times and it is fun, but in a way different way than my Fleetwood. Custom landau top and opera lamps. leather interior, the works. The only thing that has to go are the wheels. I don't like those wheels, I want these instead.....

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Dope, you say the deville is fun in a different way than your Brougham, what exactly do you mean? I know the deVille is more modern, quicker, and better handling..but it lacks the Brougham's presence and charisma. The Brougham is also much more old school and much less "garden variety".

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I mean is both cars are tons of fun to drive, but are completely different in the way they ride, handle, and perform. The Fleetwood Brougham has more of a cloud like ride. The car feels like it has no wheels and just floats. It handles in a more traditional way because it's RWD, and even though the acceleration is pretty poor off the start the car has tons of torque and overall power and can really unleash the beast. The DeVille has a much different ride. It rides smooth still but it's tighter, not smooth like the Fleetwood, but smooth none the less. The car handles tightly and really flies. The DeVille is very peppy, it has get-up-and-go. It however lacks the monsterous, tyrannic, behemoth power and presence of the Fleetwood. So they're two entirely different cars from two entirely different worlds, however they are both awesome cars and are both orgasms on wheels to a driver like myself. If I get it it will take over most of my Fleetwood's tasks that I wouldn't mind handing over to it such as going to work or the mall, or pretty much anywhere I wouldn't wanna take my Fleetwood.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I remember when I drove a '90 Brougham D'elegance it felt like it was totally disconnected from the ground, almost like a 90's Town Car. The Brougham was a little bit scary on a curvy road at 5 over the speed limit. The steering is very vague. But the handling wasn't very bad at all. The car stayed planted through the turns, and all though the steering gave very little feedback, you knew where it was going. My '92 SDV felt like a sports car after that Brougham. The hood on that brougham seems a mile long, and it seems as though the hood on the deVille is wider and harder to see where it ends. The Broughams' hood is much straighter and flatter than the devilles.
I would loved to have gotten that car, even if the 307 was a dog.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I slow down on turns but I'm used to the car so I can maneuver it with no problems. I also noticed the difference with the hoods, but the Fleetwood's hood is more straight and narrow as opposed to the DeVille's which looks short and wide.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
I also noticed the difference with the hoods, but the Fleetwood's hood is more straight and narrow as opposed to the DeVille's which looks short and wide.
Its funny because the deville's hood is shorter and narrower than the Broughams. The Brougham has a massive hood, I mean my hood is 54" long (yes I measured it) and the Brougham's seems about a foot longer. I think its because the Brougham has those very evident hood creases and the devilles are more subtle.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dunno what the hood is in inches but I can lay on it and spread my arms out and my finger tips will reach the windshield and headlights. I'm also 6 feet tall.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
im gonna bring a tape measurer next time I go to the junkyard and measure various cars hoods..I hope they have a Brougham or Town Car.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, here's a question. This particular 91 has the traditional analog speedometer. I am more of a fan of the digital one. Can I swap out the original analog one and replace it with a digital speedo? Is it a simple plug in swap or do I need to do something else? Also is there a way to program the odometer mileage in the new digital instruments? I would swap out the analog set with the digital set if it's just a simple plug in swap.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville
1,068 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
Hmm, here's a question. This particular 91 has the traditional analog speedometer. I am more of a fan of the digital one. Can I swap out the original analog one and replace it with a digital speedo? Is it a simple plug in swap or do I need to do something else? Also is there a way to program the odometer mileage in the new digital instruments? I would swap out the analog set with the digital set if it's just a simple plug in swap.
Unfortunately it would be more than you would want to get into. The thing in the tank would have to be changed, wiring harnesses, speed sensors, the whole nine yards.

Blaze

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
DS,dont worry about the analog 85mph ribbon style speedo, its kind of neat to have a throwback to the old style speedos, and its VERY easy to bury the needle ;) And if you really want the digital speedometer, there is one in the Diagnostic mode. EO9 I believe is the speedo.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have one with the old style speedo. I might have a shop do it though, depending on how much they'd want to do it, but I'm getting ahead of myself.... I don't even have the car. What would a 91 DeVille with 130k go for anyway? If I had to guess, somewhere between $1,500 - $2,000?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
oh yeah I forgot your '89 has it. A 91 deville with 130k miles goes for around $1960 according to blue book

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
youbetcha77 said:
Unfortunately it would be more than you would want to get into. The thing in the tank would have to be changed, wiring harnesses, speed sensors, the whole nine yards.
Blaze
Hmmm??? It's actually not that difficult to do. If you have ever installed a headunit by yourself, you could convert to the digital. However, the odometer mileage is the one hangup. That stays in the cluster, and to change it requires considerable modification. But installing it and having it work as Cadilac intended? Not difficult at all.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DaveSmed said:
Hmmm??? It's actually not that difficult to do. If you have ever installed a headunit by yourself, you could convert to the digital. However, the odometer mileage is the one hangup. That stays in the cluster, and to change it requires considerable modification. But installing it and having it work as Cadilac intended? Not difficult at all.
Nice, mind going though it with me? You could PM me if you want or just drop it here since I'm sure others might wanna know about it too. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts