Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try this CAGS eliminator from Mid America?

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.101
Part 603-703.

My dad bought it for the V and for some reason had trouble shifting into reverse putting it in. After he took it out, no problems getting to reverse.

Seems like it's a pretty simple little thing, so it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't work, so I'm curious if anyone has any input on this.

Getting another one is an option, but if I can get this to work without any fuss, no reason to buy something else...

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Check the FAQ's and make sure you used the right harness. There is one on each side of the trans as I recall. Picking the wrong one causes the symptoms you described.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that folks like the StealthV one, but lets focus on this one. CVP33, with regard to your suggestion that it may be plugged into the wrong harness, wouldn't that mean that it wouldn't eliminate the skip shift function?

In my dad's case, it did eliminate the skip shift, but it made reverse hard. Look forward to yours and others replies.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
GOTTSPD said:
I understand that folks like the StealthV one, but lets focus on this one. CVP33, with regard to your suggestion that it may be plugged into the wrong harness, wouldn't that mean that it wouldn't eliminate the skip shift function?

In my dad's case, it did eliminate the skip shift, but it made reverse hard. Look forward to yours and others replies.
Sorry, my bad. Step one: get under car, remove mid america unit, reconnect harness. Dispose of ind america eliminator in suitable trash receptacle. Test reverse. If problem persists, see dealer. If problem is eliminated, the obtain stealthv !CAGS unit, and install per his instructions. If reverse problem returns, then something is truly funky. And, yes while the above is tongue-in-cheek, the skip shift harness has nothing to do with the reverse lockout, unless I am missing something; they are on different circuits, so even the inferior mid-america cags eliminator should have no effect on reverse. That having been said, if the resistance is set wrong on the inferior CAGS eliminator (or even a superior one) you should get an error code which could (though shouldn't) confuse the system.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
It sounds like it may be installed incorrectly..... Does the mid america piece even have the right connector? I looked at the website and it looks like it might be close, but not sure...

If you lost reverse, than you unplugged the reverese lockout.

Reed

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He didn't lose reverse entirely, it was just hard to get to. Not just syncros not lining up hard, but really hard. Then after taking it out, reverse magically became easy to get to again. Also, it did eliminate the skip shift. Would you be able to get to reverse at all if the reverse lockout was unplugged?

FWIW, I have never seen this device in person (heck, I've only seen the car a couple of times a year ago).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
c4racer said:
So the V must be looking for a different resistance value than the vette? Anyone know what value R is needed?

Scott
Different plug (connector) than the vett, same 2.2k resistor works.

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like it's the same connector? Again, I haven't seen the parts or the car, but my dad said the mechanic connected the connections. What makes you say that the connector is different?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts