Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the line, was at a light with a yellow M3, I was feelin a bit grumpy, so revved a bit. Had my windows down because it was nice and cool out (50's). So I heard his I6 wind up in response. I gave the full on V8 rev, and he perked up and revved his motor full out. (My raspy angry V8 sounded cooler to me.) I alread had traction control off, no ac on, etc, so all I did was put it back in D, hold the brake and feather the gas to load my torque coverter. Light turned green and I launched the fleetwood for everything she had, tires were scrabbling a bit, but with a pair of 255's being held in place by a big butt and posi, she dug in well. He chirped his tires, but there wasnt much power there, so I beat him off the line. Bigtime... I was across the intersection, and he had fallen back to leel with my trunk. I still had my lead at the barked 1-2 shift around 40. (Remember, I have 3.42 gear set and posi on a computer tweaked LT1.) He was still only in my back door. He also chirped his 1-2 I think, but I don't recall where it was... By 70 he had climbed back up to my front door, and by 80 he was level bumper to bumper. We both shut it down there because we were approaching a curve, not sharp, but not an 80 mph curve either. Needless to say, I was much happier about my day then. :)

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
A true M3 driver wouldn't have shut it down for a curve. :p

I'm kidding. Well done.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
The curve would have been the end of any older caddy, going 80 anyways. That is where the m3 shines though :)

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
wow nice kill! I bet he was thinking WTF?!? A Cadillac?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
It is my dream to race and beat ricers and euro sports car in one of the biggest, most ostentatious american cars ever built....a '76 Lincoln Mark IV. I figure to run low 13's I would need about 525hp and of course a different tranny/differential among other parts

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Mark IV is my #1 dream car. How would you get more than 525 hp? Ford Racing makes a 525 hp crate 460 (actually its 466cid)

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 460 Big Block. Have the motor torn down, put some flat top pistons in, (around 750-1500) with a lower compresion rating, about 8.5 or 9 to 1. Set an old school roots on top, or if you want to preserve the looks, set a snail in on the side. (Around 3k either way) With such a low compression, you could easily run 8-10 PSI. Roller rockers (500ish), a cam set up for it(possibly as low as 300), change out the ignition for one of MSD's setups (300 ish). Have the heads checked, flow tested, honed, etc. (1000-1500 foor good work) high flow fuel, coolant, and oil pumps, extra engine cooling work, etc. You could easily see 600-800 streetable horsepower on pump gas.

You could also get that ford crate motor, pull the pistons and drop the lower compression ones in, which would likely drop you 50-100 horses but putting the boost in would get you 615-700 on just 8 PSI. If you planned it right, and pushed 12 psi through, you'd be just over 815 in theory. Then it's find a trann and rear to handle that load. (That will likely run you around 5-7k for the back half of your drivetrain. 10-15k grand total for a murderous powerplant and the drivetrain to get the power to the tires.)

It's kind of a scary number when you look at it finished out. However, you can spread that out over a few years. One year, build the rear end and put it in the car, probably 1500 or so. Depends on how overbuilt you like. That built rear and sleep through the base motor for a year or two. Then do the tranny. I'd recommend a newer, smarter automatic. 600-800 horses is a lot for a clutch, and if you're on it, you'd be through gears awfully fast. The nice thing, is some companies are having fun with the 5 and 6 speed autos out, and adapting them for other motors. After a coupleyears for the wife to settle down, do the engine, and fully enjoy. :)

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Clutch? I want an automatic, a Mark IV is wayyyy to big for a stick shift. Are you talking about running a TURBO 460. That would be so cool! I love V8's and I love forced induction! Best of both worlds, give them a nice throaty V8 roar, followed up by a Blow Off Valve.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You people and your puny little 460s. :p

Anyway in a month or two I'm gonna call out the 2 M3s on racingsouthwest.com. One's a 95, other's a 99. The 95's stock, the 99 has a "Jim Conforti intake." So we'll see what they can do against an ETC. I might have run a cutout, maybe an 80mm TB, maybe even a lil spray by then... Oh yeah, there's an 05 M3 on there too, maybe if I'm spraying by then I'll call him out too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts