Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CTS V wagon
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus on micro cracks in rotors? I picked my car up from the dealership for unrelated work and they gave me my car back with a fairly dramatic warning about my rotors being unsafe because of cracks. The cracks are very small (hardly visible) and largely limited to the center of the rotors. I track the car occasionally so they've no doubt been caused by heat cycles at the track. I'm not inclined to worry about it, but, for those of you who track your cars, when do you start thinking about replacing rotors? When the cracks are pervasive over the whole rotor face? Or do you base the decision to replace them on other factors, like warping or thinning?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,051 Posts
The little cracks are called heat checking. There's absolutely no need to worry about it at all. The only time I replace rotors is when they get to their minimum thickness.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,187 Posts
Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
Unless the cracks get to the edge or you can catch a fingernail on them. Otherwise normal if you use your brakes hard.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels
456 Posts
Another vote for nothing to worry about. Good to read you got your car back though :)

----------

Also, from my experience tracking a Lightning, when a plain faced rotor (as opposed to a drilled one) actually cracks, it isn't something that propagates from the little heat checking you are talking about. It just suddenly and violently cracks. Standing next to the truck when a rotor fractured through at the track the noise it made was impossible to miss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts