Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I have been a long time owner of my 2008 CTS and loved every minute of it, except it seems when I tried new tires. I once had a offer to try the Bridgestone replacements for the Pilots with a 30day return promise if I didn’t like them. Long story short I returned them in the first week of having them and got the Pilots. Two weeks ago I found that once again it was time for new shows for my CTS, so like normal I went to the dealer where I have always taken it (Except when I tried the Bridgestone’s) and they told me they no longer carried the pilots and instead now offer the Michelin Premieres. So after asking the tire guy some questions about them I decided to give them a try. They seem to have a similar tread design better build quality and they were said to be quitter. After two weeks I can say a few things for a fact, 1: they are quieter, 2: the ride seems softer. However in the corners the car doesn’t feel the same, it almost feels like the grip I used to have when cornering has been somewhat lost.

So I figured I would come here and ask other owners if anyone has had a like experience with this tires vs the pilots, or if anyone of experience can outline the differences and what to expect. My first instinct is to take the tires back and have them put Pilots back on, but being Michelins and the success I have had with their line I am inclined to give them a shot...

Am I just being a really picky CTS owner, or do these tires perform less than the pilots in regards to handling?

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires as replacements for the MXM4s. The Pilot Sports are much better in rain and cold conditions. I would never buy MXM4s again - traction in the wet was terrible.

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
I also have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 2011 CTS. Very highly recommended!

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,021 Posts
My dad replaced his OEM Michelins with Pilot Sport A/S last summer on his 09 3.6 AWD. The car drives better than new. He's very pleased.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
479 Posts
Just put on a new set of Pilot Sport A/S 3's replacing my Summer Only Continental Sport Contact 3. I am pleased with the results. They seem to grip better and the cornering is just as good.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
605 Posts
I have not tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 however when my MXM4's are ready for replacement I plan on using Continental Extreme Contact DWS. According to Tire Rack survey the Pilot Sport A/S 3 corner better but the Extreme Contact outshines in snow/ice. I have used the Extreme Contacts before on my other vehicles and especially coupled with the AWD on my CTS and living in PA that is the selling factor for me. Also the Conti's are about $20 less per tire and rated for 10% (5k) more miles treadwear. But if you live in a warmer climate and want more performance the Pilot Sports seem the way to go.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

·
Registered
2010 CTS Wagon
214 Posts
OK - my $0.02 worth. I had OEM tires on the car when I bought my 2010 CTS AWD Wagon. I hit a curb and punctured one of the tires at 12K miles. Since I was concerned about tires and all being the same diameter, I bought 4 A/S3 - that was 78K miles ago. I recently had them measured during inspection (PA) and they were all 8's (2 is the replacement time). They have had excellent grip in the PA snows and combined the tires and AWD make this one of the best cars to drive in the snow that I have ever had - the tires have lasted the longest too.

On the other hand, I put the Contis on my Volvo V70 AWD wagon before I gave the car to my son who lives in Boston. He was very please at how well the tires do in snow.

Either ones you get I dont think you will be disappointed - either are better than the OEM.

·
Registered
09 AWD DI CTS
25 Posts
I replaced my OEM MXM4's with the Pilot Sport AS/3's and have been very happy with them. They both wear and handle better than the OEM MXM4's. Overall, I was not impressed with the MXM4's.

The Michelin Premiere A/S, according to Tirerack.com, is a different class of tire than the Pilot Sport A/S 3. The Premiere is classified as a Grand Touring All Season (as is the MXM4), while the Pilot A/S3's are either High or Ultra High Performance All Season tires, depending on speed rating. I find the performance of the Pilot Sport A/S 3 in the snow to be good for an A/S tire.

As for availability, if you can't find the tire you want locally you can try Tirerack.com. They carry a multitude of different tires and they have authorized tire installers throughout the country. They will ship directly to the installer, who will call you when the tires arrive and mount and balance for a fixed fee.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
I have not tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 however when my MXM4's are ready for replacement I plan on using Continental Extreme Contact DWS. According to Tire Rack survey the Pilot Sport A/S 3 corner better but the Extreme Contact outshines in snow/ice. I have used the Extreme Contacts before on my other vehicles and especially coupled with the AWD on my CTS and living in PA that is the selling factor for me. Also the Conti's are about $20 less per tire and rated for 10% (5k) more miles treadwear. But if you live in a warmer climate and want more performance the Pilot Sports seem the way to go.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS
I had the Performance Package summer tires and switched to the Conti DWS, so far they have been great. Of course the summer tires started to lose cornering grip just with the temperature drop here in Northern Virginia. However, the all season DWS handled just as well in warm weather and obviously are far superior in wet, cold, and light snow. I cannot offer a comparison to Michelins...

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6DI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the replies about the Pilot Sport A/S 3's and the other brand tires. I will look into those, but I take it no one has ever compared the "Michelin Premiere A/S vs Michelin Pilot MXM4 (235/55R 17)" as asked in my OP?

·
Registered
09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere
404 Posts
I also replaced my OEM MXM4's with the Pilot Sport AS/3's last summer and have been very happy with them. Yesterday, I got my AS/3's mounted and road force balanced after having snow tires on for the winter months. I see the difference, the car rides much better. Overall, I highly recommend them and feel they ride better than the MXM4's.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
Thank you for all the replies about the Pilot Sport A/S 3's and the other brand tires. I will look into those, but I take it no one has ever compared the "Michelin Premiere A/S vs Michelin Pilot MXM4 (235/55R 17)" as asked in my OP?
From my experience with the MXM4s, I don't think anything (within reason) could be worse. There's a reason everyone is telling you to buy the A/S 3s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts