Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new - The Defender has replaced the Harmony and the Hydro-edge. It looks so boring! I have been very pleased with the 'edges but I need to budget for new tires before next winter. I'm sticking with Michelin if I can. Has anyone bought the Defenders? Any comments? Michelin/Tirerack say they do everything better of course. Not needing anything sporty, just safe, reliable traction for the STS in all weather. Thanks. Sorry if I'm dragging up an old discussion

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I tell you other than a bit louder than Michelins I'm quite happy with Pirelli P4 all season. They were very good in ice/snow during trips this winter. So no I don't have an opinion on the Defenders..

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
My brother has Defenders on his 03. From riding around in said car, they are very smooth, very quiet, and handle well. Dad has been quite pleased with them as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
After having Michelin Hydroedge on both of our Sevilles and being very happy with their performance we were recommended to have the new Defender series put on at the last tire change on the '02 and are very satisfied with them.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,507 Posts
You would like the Cooper CS5-V. Replacing the old CS4-V. About $775 out the door, not including $60 off until 04/15/15.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,822 Posts
^^^^ agree with Sub. I've been quite happy with the Cooper CS3's I put on our '03 base DeVille last fall. They are very quiet.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
I have a set of Defenders on my SLS it they are smooth and quiet although I hoped for better traction in winter conditions.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Everyone will have their own preference in tires, and you can get great tires from many names.

My opinions of other tires aside, my defenders were very well-wearing tires and were extremely quiet. I'm glad they replaced the hydroedges - I didn't care much for them. The Hydroedges weren't terrible tires (also wore very well), but I found snow/ice performance to be less than stellar...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I had Michelin Symmetry 235-60-16s and I really liked the ride quality with the quietness. Excellent traction all around. Until some tire slashers got me after ~5,000 miles. Might try the Defenders next time.

Then I found a set of OEM chrome wheels off of a 03 Deville with 225-60-16 Yokohama Avids with 90% tread on them. It's rather loud going from a Michelin but not to the point it becomes bothersome, the ride quality and overall traction was okay. Will not buy again, though. These are what I currently have on my Seville, getting old, so will be replaced when I go back to the country.

Deville has Firestone PS830 225-60-16s. Interior quietness is comparable to the Yokohamas, but the tires chirp when they're not supposed to. Also will not buy again, the reason I have these is because they offered to replace bubbled tires with these for free.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
We have a set of Defenders on our DeVille.
They are a good tire as others have posted they run smooth and quite.
I would sum them up as a very good all season tire.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
I recently put a set of the Michelin Defenders on my #2 - 02 DHS -
one word - EXCELLENT -

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I had a set of Michelan LTX tires on my old Fleetwod. Very quiet and smooth riding tires, only complaint was no whitewall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts