Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Metal in newly rebuilt engine oil

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rodnok01 
#1 ·
I have a cts v with an ls2 motor and it is just over 1000 miles since rebuild. I found metal shavings in my oil at 500 miles and less at 1000 but they were still there. Is this a normal thing to happen and should I be worried? Everything in the engine is new (bearings included) except the crank and rods and the cylinders were over-bored. (The first picture is 500 the second is 1000 but the 500 has some dirt from the pan and there was a little bit of metal on the plug where as on the 1000 there was no metal on the plug)

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Rim

1000:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Rim Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
good catch ! good job doing the oil yourself. you can find websites to analyze the metals/oil. I would document this with your mechanic and save a sample in case the rebuilder balks at a warranty replacement? I would also tear the filter open...notice i said TEAR not cut, i take a chisel and whack a hole in it, use a screwdriver to make the metal proud of the surface and use vice grips to tear it apart like opening a can

#3 ·
Unfortunately the builders are not replying to my emails and they only gave me a 30 day warranty on the engine work to which I am definitely over because it took me a while to get it put back in the car and running due to some other complications with the car. Does this seem like anything out of the ordinary for a rebuild of this caliper? All the info I have found online already is all over the place some people think it’s totally normal especially if the block was machined which mine was and others say it’s not normal at all and there’s a problem.

#5 ·
i would imagine if its non ferrous, it might be a issue? but only might...? some wear is expected me thinks...if is cast aluminum or steel it could possibly be crap from a poorly cleaned block after re-man? change the oils again after 500 ? and have a gander? you might be ok.....

#6 ·
Is it possible that it could be any left over burrs in the cylinder wall or any of the parts just mating to each other? Another thought I heard is it could be the timing chain hitting the timing cover but I didn’t get a dual link chain so I think that’s unlikely. I suppose I will keep driving it to get to the next 500 mi interval and I will probably get the oil tested. Is there any indication you guys can see with the metal shavings themselves as to what they may be? I don’t think it’s bearing material because the oil at the second change didn’t have any gold shimmer at the top of the oil. There was some at the first change but I think it could have been the engine grease used for assembly.

#7 ·
Hate to burst your bubble but in no way is that normal/good/to be expected. That looks like bearing material (thrust bearing if had to guess) and alot of it unfortunately. If that was leftover from engine work that'd be the worst cleanup and shop I'd seen. I just tore down a locked up motor didn't have chunks that big in it.

#9 ·
Tear the motor down before it grenades... Be prepared for alot of parts needed. If that's what came out of the pan imagine what's in the filter/pan and moving around the engine.
That entire motor would need to be gone through, checked and rebuilt.
It happens.... Won't take much debris to ruin cams, lifters anything oiled...

Anyone who said that's normal after a rebuild is 100% wrong and has zero idea what they are talking about. I've been rebuilding and blowing motors since the 70s and never seen anything like that and didn't destroy the motor in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.