Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
93 SDV / 94 Z28 Conv. 355
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I hit a puddle or slick spot as I was coming out of a plaza. I was getting in front of traffic, so I was kinda moving, but not floored. The passenger tire spun really bad and ever since then The car drives like crap. From a start you can hear the engine rev. but the car goes very slowly, even floored; Till you get to 45+ then it seems ok. I can start in 2nd gear and it's almost a normal take off. I'm figuring since a tire spin damaged the tranny, it was on it's way out. On a side note the tranny was making a whinning noise every time you hit the gas. Does anyone know the the mph ranges for each gear? Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
medicz28 said:
The other night I hit a puddle or slick spot as I was coming out of a plaza. I was getting in front of traffic, so I was kinda moving, but not floored. The passenger tire spun really bad and ever since then The car drives like crap. From a start you can hear the engine rev. but the car goes very slowly, even floored; Till you get to 45+ then it seems ok. I can start in 2nd gear and it's almost a normal take off. I'm figuring since a tire spin damaged the tranny, it was on it's way out. On a side note the tranny was making a whinning noise every time you hit the gas. Does anyone know the the mph ranges for each gear? Thanks for your info.
A spinning wheel could damage the tranny... Pull the trouble codes. Check out the tranny fluid (level, color, smell). How many miles on the clock?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny level is good and the fluid does not smell burnt (yet) The only trouble code that happened after the event was (40) Power steering Pressure switch. It doesn't stall at idle or exessively idle at high RPM. Unless it was set off when I floored the car to see how it would go with the tranny problem. The car has 112K miles. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just the TC! By the way, the spinniing killed my AC. It was making a horrible rattling noise, Like the bearings were going. You could hear the bearing noise with it off, turn the AC on and it was twice as loud. Now I can't hear it at all and the AC blows warm. Oh well, the car's 13 years old!

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Looks like one of your shift solenoids failed. Not a reason to scrap the car. Someone claimed you can bypass the AC using a shorter serp belt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some road test's. The car has normal starting movement in 1st or 2nd gear, but 3rd and D, you can floor it and it starts out at a crawl. At highway speeds it seems to run fine. I can't tell if it shifts into D! At about 70+, if I let off the gas and give it gas it has to rev a little before it catches into gear. Am I correct in thinking there is a 1/2 shift solenoid and a 3/4? If so, I assume it would be the 3/4 and is it changable within the tranny pan? Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
I am having a transmission problem, too.

Anyway, as I learned, there are 2 shifting solenoids in your transmission (4T60E?). Both are on to get into 1st. Only one needs to be on to get into 2nd. Both off to 3rd. Another one (but again only one) needs to be on to get into 4th. So, maybe it is some internal mechanical problem, not just a faulty solenoid, I think. Well, I don't know much about the transmission, so hopefully someone who knows more can help...

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
I can post some scans for testing solenoids electrically with an DVM (digital volt meter).

Do you have a factory service manual? It is in 4T60-E-14 and 15 sections.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, I don't have a factory service manual, just a Haynes. I'm assuming changing out the solenoids isn't go to do it. I would love the readings if you have them, thanks.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
medicz,

Files are pretty big... I can email the scans if you want me to. What is your email address.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
before you do, is this something I could do with my Dig Mul Meter? Just taking readings off of the solenoids or is it pretty intensive? What are the chances it's just a solenoid? Or the all dreaded 2600$ tranny rebiuld? Either way, thank you for the help. [email protected]

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
The test is not that intensive. I cannot evaluate the chances. Unfortunately.
You got mail. LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I asked, becuase I want someone to tell me the opposite of what I already believe.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
It may be as simple as a bad connector or external wire. Replacing the solenoids is not a big deal either. You seem to be a pessimist (just like I) LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's because I also own a Camaro. Another little maintance gem from GM.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the files, their awesome. One question, on "Testing shift solenoids A, B and VCC.". Step 6, connect four more wires to pins B,D,F and G at transaxle harness. I'm not sure what exactly to do with this. Does it mean run each pin to ground? Or something else?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just re-read it. I assume you just hang wires from the pin slots, so you can ground them with the DVM. :bang2:

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
I found this web page talking about 4T60E:

http://gmperformancetuning.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=2780

Especially, read what "turbo400sbc" wrote. This may help you. I cut and pasted below:

the main weakness of the 4t60e's differential is that off the line with lots of right tire fire (one tire spinning the other not---may or may not be a problem with your engine/power level) the spider gears tend to spin real fast and without enough lubrication between the gears and the spider gear shaft they tend to friction weld the spider gears to the shaft and cause it to snap/and the retaining pin and the spider gear shaft comes out of the carrier and destroyes the tranny/case (usually while burning rubber everything is rotating so fast that it's catastrophic failure)

while racing we all know that if your spin'in your tires your not going anywhere (no power getting to the ground) and it also cost ya money (gotta buy tires more often).
it would be far better to throttle back just off the line and git rolling some as you increase throttle opening to WOT
(this is of course if you have enough engine power to spin the tires--and you dont have to buy your own tires! lol)
this will overall decrase your 30/60 ft times and make you faster in the long run.
besides if pricing is an issue you wont like the cost of an LSD (phantom grip or otherwise)
I personally have done plenty of lincoln lockers (welded diffs in RWD (and one manual tranny'd FWD chrysler tranny (always results in less turning ability) but since he raced alot on dirt oval he wanted it) and they are great for the money if you dont mind the drivability issues (we may do a welded diff in the rear engines (3800) 4t60e in my buddy's twin engine 94 442-if it spins the tires at the track-so i'll keep ya'll informed)
the aftermarket will have devoloped a better (and hopefully a locker) diff for the 4t60/65 e's some time in the near future so if after your rebuild/junkyard tranz you hae the issue it's always a possibility to upgrade in the future (when ya got the money etc etc)
schlim
BTW the bottom pic is the rear (3800) engine in the back (used to be the rear seat lol) of Al's 94 cuttlass supreme (modified 3100/3400 hybrid in the front)

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
hang on here , isnt there a fuse thats tied to the A/C and shift solenoids in these 91-93 devilles ? do yourself a favor and check ALL fuses before going further .....I have heard of this problem 2 or 3 times where a 91-93 car is haveing a tranny issue and also has no A/C

1 - 20 of 40 Posts