Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a look out guys . wish i had one. a 30 minute job tuns into a nightmare. While tightening up the bottom bolt on the stat housing it snapped. OMG i about flipped the F out. Bad bad Bad thing to do. What an amateur mistake:thepan: All day i have been fooling with this. Trying to take out the fans out. can't get to the last bolt on the bottom right side (passenger) Maybe take out the radiator what a bitch that is. Can't jack up the car. ramps wont work. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THOSE BOLTS Made of alloy crap. well using a air ratchet probably was not the thing to do... Taking them out is ok. tightening them up till snug then tightening by hand would be the ticket. Even tried a right angle drill and ez-out. Snapped the ez out head. These bolts are a special triangular shaped thread that really digs in i guess. This is going to cost me a fortune In time and tools i had to buy and now bring it to a shop. FOR A 30 MINUTE JOB. Do your self a favor bring it to a shop.. if they break it they gotta fix it. Well i don't know what i'am going to do I got a buddy with a shop and a flatbed. Hopefully he can help me out this week end. Sucks Moose C. (sorry if any ladies here)

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Jess, since i have to take out the Radiator or just fans hopefully, you getting those Crank puleys soon? Cuz i ll leave it out till then. Hell why don't i pull the engine and drop the forged ZR1 components while i'm at it. :dammit: for a friggn T stat i gotta go through this.

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
If you had access to a lift, you could do this yourself. You need a straight path to the bolt that is damaged. Once you get that, buy yourself a Heli-Kit that is one size up from the damaged bolt hole. Carefully, drill out the broke bolt. Then tap and install the heli coil. Or, take out the money you saved for a rainy day, and take it to a shop like you said. I know your pain. I've made the same mistake on a Syclone i once owned. Cecil..........

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
WOW! I guess i need to put instructions in the box with them. The bolts just need to be snug not very hard. 22inch lbs usually. I would have to check for EXACT torque. As for the bolts, you can pull off the water pump pretty easy. then just do it off the car. THEN you have an excuse to dump in a cam i have laying here on the floor. :) j/k

If you where local, i could have just put it in for you..

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
That sucks, Mod Hell has earned the name. :devil:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My father always told me " Don't fix it if it ain't broke".
Boy did i get that from every one around my muttering A$$ all week end. Got it done though. runs cooler. Clayed and waxed on Monday looking sharp baby. Sore as heck though

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
I REALLY have to claybar and wax mine also. Every time i wash it, it has water spots all in the paint and windows when im trying to dry it. They dissapear after it dries completly but it still looks bad. I was going to try the ICE stuff on it. That worked well on my Vipers.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the Turtle wax Black box .made specifically for black cars. It is a two step process. Add the clay that makes three. uhg... my shoulders. Did a fantastic job though

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Yea i bought a box of that black stuff, pretty weird its actually dyed black and will leave black stains on everything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts