Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after I drive my car lets say about 2 miles...i hear a small whine when i press on the gas, starts at maybe 10 mph...nothing noticeable really to anyone else but me....as I lay on the gas harder the noise seems to get slightly louder....anyone know what this could be?

when I was at the cadillac dealer a couple of weeks ago getting my transmission flushed i asked them to look at the rear diff. they told me it looks a little greasy but this is normal and they usually say when they go they see huge leaks.....i dont know what the problem is...

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
I told you once that you're a worry wart with rabbit ears. Relax and enjoy your car. They all make noises. In case you didn't know, cars have moving parts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ours doe sit too. There is a noticable whine when at low speed and pressing on accelerator. Let off pedal and noise goes away. Seems to be 10-20mph for us.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here...
Did you ever take it in for it?? what did they say it was?

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
Rear end gears have an opposite symptom. Less noise on the gas and more noise on the overrun. This could be almost anything.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the rear differential failure will cause more noise when your not on the gas????

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Mine does something similar. A whine that starts around 10mph & grows louder until about 35 & then I can't hear it anymore. It's done it since I got the car. I took it in thinking it was the rear end, and they replaced the rear end, but it still does it. I've taken it back in twice & they can't find any issues with the rear or tranny. Might just be normal noises & as Koz also suggested, once you start listening for noises you're going to hear all sorts of them!

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
all helical gears will have some level of whine to them

the stock rears have a machined groove in them where theyjust set the carrier during assembly, the OEM parts are machined to tolerances that meet their design so that you don't need to shim them, this being said any slight amount of variation will cause some differing levels of gear whine due to different levels of lash in the set.

yoru diff is fine until it grinds and sticks when you're turning

whining != busted diff

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Some noise is normal.
I remember the hydra-matic transmissions of the '70s... you want to talk about noise!
I really loved that old sound though.

Each ring and pinion has a "drive side" and a "coast side".
Drive side failures are more common but depending on what happens the coast side can be noisy sometimes and the drive side can be quiet.
The Getrag rears are known for some excessive noise, but you have to have heard some bad ones to know a good one.

I'd agree with koz, if it gets to the point where you'd rather get hit by a bus than drive your car then it might be an issue, but if you have to turn off the radio and hold your breath to hear it, you are probably worrying too much.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
Some noise is normal.
I remember the hydra-matic transmissions of the '70s... you want to talk about noise!
I really loved that old sound though.

Each ring and pinion has a "drive side" and a "coast side".
Drive side failures are more common but depending on what happens the coast side can be noisy sometimes and the drive side can be quiet.
The Getrag rears are known for some excessive noise, but you have to have heard some bad ones to know a good one.

I'd agree with koz, if it gets to the point where you'd rather get hit by a bus than drive your car then it might be an issue, but if you have to turn off the radio and hold your breath to hear it, you are probably worrying too much.
thats just the different faces of the pinion and ring contacting each other

as in drag or drive mode right?

top to front
and bottom to back

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
I had a Muncie "rock crusher" transmission in an El Camino. It about drowned out the exhaust noise. You wouldn't be able to stand this long enough to get the car out of the driveway. The working parts in cars converse civily with one another as you cruise down the road. Think of them as friends sharing ideas and experiences.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
In my experience load dependent noises coming from the diff tend to be pinion gears/bearings going bad. If it is speed dependent it could be wheel bearings - these tend to go before a lot of other things. Also, don't discount tire noise. Some tires make a real racket.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Not to mention, usually you won't hear differential noises until you get above 40 mph (at least gear noise) or get up to highway speeds.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe Ill just hollow out the converters and throw a borla on it and call it a day....................

(I want points for this one)

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe Ill just hollow out the converters and throw a borla on it and call it a day....................

(I want points for this one)
Married men don't have these problems. We learn to tune out the background noise to where all we hear is a constant drone.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Married men don't have these problems. We learn to tune out the background noise to where all we hear is a constant drone.

HAHAHA after my last steady girlfriend I am pretty damn good at tuning stuff out.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Make an audio recording and find a way to link it or post it, that way we can hear what you hear and tell you whether or not you are losing your mind.

Being married, I have learned to tune out all kinds of stuff.
You should see me ignore the worn out sway bar links on my Trailblazer!
:D

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Oh, I thought this was the "what's that whining noise on the passenger side" thread. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts