Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed transmission fluid on the floor of my garage whenever I pull in. Decent size spots actually. Brought it into my mechanic and he says that the leak is coming from the front left axle seal. Well, after a fair amount of research, this pretty much sounds like my 3rd clutch housing is shot. Any shop around me is going to charge $2000 for this job. Basically, my car will be scrapped, so I'm wondering if there is any chance this is JUST an axle seal?

I don't even know how to check for play or anything, as my mechanic skill end at taking the brakes and rotors off. Transmission stuff is beyond me. I really really really don't want this to be the problem though, that would destroy my whole car at only 110k miles.

·
2007 DTS
'07 DTS, '11 Impala LT
138 Posts
Oops ... are we talking devile or DTS?

I will assume it is DTS, and if I understand your question, you want to know if this is a transmission seal?

In review your mechanic has called it a front left axle seal. So I would say yes as the axel is connected to the transmission.

But for me the strange part of this is that the car has only 110k and you are on your third clutch housing?

Anyways I do not believe that you need to take the transmission apart to replace this seal. When you remove the axle just place new transmission seals in the transmission and the replace the axle.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,429 Posts
From looking at the OPs other posts it appears that he also has a 2006 "DTS".

Please update your profile to show car(s) driven. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From looking at the OPs other posts it appears that he also has a 2006 "DTS".

Please update your profile to show car(s) driven. Thanks.
Yes, actually just switched from the 2003 to 2006 DTS. Anyways, I've always heard that the axle seal leaks very seldomly without transmission damage, I'm wondering if this is most likely indicating that transmission damage.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,429 Posts
If this is the bent/misaligned one you bought from the questionable dealership then they owe you - big time.

From your other posts it sounds like you probably got a Golden 90 Warranty - 90 seconds or 90 feet, whichever occurs first :cool:

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this is the one you bought from the questionable dealership then they owe you - big time.

cadillacforums.com/threads/really-tempted-to-purchase-a-2006-dts-performance-edition-but-the-dealership-seems-shady.1112652/page-3#post-17965509
Yes it is, and they will most likely get out of it for sure. I had a mechanic look over the vehicle before purchasing, he told me he believed the seal was leaking only a small amount and that it would be a simple fix. Well, he probably didn't know that this typically isn't an axle seal but a more costly reverse clutch housing issue. It's odd, people say on the forum that the 4T80e mostly had this fixed by 2005 and I have a 2006 that may have this. Is there a way to check by pushing on the wheel hub?

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
239 Posts
Here is a repair option without removing the transaxle if interested. CADILLAC 4T80E AXLE KIT, Includes INSTALL TOOL Here is the complete thread, lots to read :) 4T80e Fix for leaky driver's CV shaft / output... Here is a shorter thread 4T80E 3rd clutch / axle seal leak .

apparently there is a bushing that goes out early on some of these transmissions which cause the axle to move and hence leaks. Normally you will only notice the leak when you go in reverse, that is when the axle lifts up and pukes a bunch of fluid. You can also replace the bushing as the part is cheap but labor is not, transaxle has to come out.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a repair option without removing the transaxle if interested. CADILLAC 4T80E AXLE KIT, Includes INSTALL TOOL Here is the complete thread, lots to read :) 4T80e Fix for leaky driver's CV shaft / output... Here is a shorter thread 4T80E 3rd clutch / axle seal leak .

apparently there is a bushing that goes out early on some of these transmissions which cause the axle to move and hence leaks. Normally you will only notice the leak when you go in reverse, that is when the axle lifts up and pukes a bunch of fluid. You can also replace the bushing as the part is cheap but labor is not, transaxle has to come out.
Thank you, I have seen this fix. I ended up ordering this one on eBay and am going to have them do this. I Figured the cost of doing an axle seal vs doing an axle seal and axle should be marginally different. What I'm worried about it the fact that my transmission has some sort of damage. I don't know that I want to keep this vehicle even after this fix, as I think this is indicative of a potential tranny failure in the future.

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
239 Posts
Gotcha. I only have 5000 miles or so on mine since I did this fix, so far no problems. I bought this car with the leak (only 43000 miles), my only concern is if the previous owner let the fluid go low, if so I may have a problem at some point. My understanding is other then the possibility running with low fluid because of the leak the transmission should be fine. I guess the fact the bushing is worn there could be a little bit of small shavings In the fluid, if worried about that change the fluid and filter. Someone might be able to answer your question better then I but as long as the fix last I would not worry about it too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts