Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1985 eldorado biarritz convertible
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i named her after the hottie of the 80's suzanne somers. today i took her into manhatten and her odometer ticked over the century mark.
IMG-20150316-00861.jpg

all wes well, until on the way back , i had to reduce speed in a short peroid of time on the highway. when i came to a complete stop , it was like the trans didnt know it had to downshift. this happened two seperate times , once actually stalling the motor , which i was able to throw into neutral and start right back up. i have new fluid and filter which is on my "to do " list. any ideas on how to adjust the trans or whats going on?

thanks

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,999 Posts
stopped / nearly stopped
=======================
sounds like the torque converter stayed "locked" -
just like NOT depressing the clutch pedal on a stick-shift car -

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so , what am i looking at here? catastrophic? or will a fluid / filter change make a differance. i really dont feel like doing a trans job

·
19,999 Posts
so , what am i looking at here? catastrophic? or will a fluid / filter change make a differance. i really dont feel like doing a trans job
=============================
catastrophic?
depends on your definition of catastrophic -

will a fluid / filter change make a differance.
NO -

i really dont feel like doing a trans job
after all you and suzanne have been through together?
certainly - she's worth a little examination - no?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
=============================
catastrophic?
depends on your definition of catastrophic -

will a fluid / filter change make a differance.
NO -

i really dont feel like doing a trans job
after all you and suzanne have been through together?
certainly - she's worth a little examination - no?
yes indeed. can you guys point me in a direction to start examination? or am i looking at a trans shop right off the bat.

·
19,999 Posts
yes indeed. can you guys point me in a direction to start examination? or am i looking at a trans shop right off the bat.
==========================
trans shop -
but stay away from AAMCO - and other chain-type shops

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. is this something i should address asap or wait till it gets worse? when i drive around normally it doesnt act up , even when i slow gradually as usual on the highway. its only in those certain situations. also , if i have the torque converter replaced, i imagine i should do the rear main seal... anything else "while im there" ?

·
19,999 Posts
thanks. is this something i should address asap or wait till it gets worse? when i drive around normally it doesnt act up , even when i slow gradually as usual on the highway. its only in those certain situations. also , if i have the torque converter replaced, i imagine i should do the rear main seal... anything else "while im there" ?
========================
I would do nothing except have it checked by a pro - ASAP

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks. didnt know how urgent it was. as for questions to ask , what would i ask him to check specifically? i have a good indy guy in my town that has old guys working in his shop which is a plus. i would feel more comfortable having older guys look at an 85 than some kid right out of wyotech.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Try this, put the car in 3rd gear and drive it a week. If it no longer acts up, you need the torque converter lock up solenoid replaced in the transmission valve body. Fairly simple. It attaches with bolts to the valve body. A wiring harness goes from the exterior of the trans to it. The new solenoid will have this harness and the harness plugs into a socket by the shift lever on the side of the trans. Takes about another 20 minutes to replace while you're doing a transmission service. On rare occasions I've seen this happen if the brake light switch fails. If you have no brake lights, the solenoid gets no signal to unlock the torque converter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
will do. if i drive at highway speeds in third will it cause issues? like i said , i dont notice the issue when doing local driving , only when slowing from higher speeds. my cruise control system works and i dont believe there is a brake light fail , so i can probably eliminate that. good to know i have an option before throwing money at a shop.

i see a "trans control solenoid" on rockauto. would this be the part? ACDELCO Part # 2141464
thanks

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
You could drive in 3rd gear for years, no harm. This solenoid is only activated above 42 MPH on light throttle in 4th gear, so leaving it in 3rd helps confirm the solenoid is sticking. And that's why city driving wont cause the issue. I just verified that you have the correct part number 2141464.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks again, i really appreciate it! i will go through this process and hopefully nail this down

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
What Rockauto shows requires you to cut and "butt" connect the original harness. No harm, just make sure no exposed wires at either end of the splice. If I were doing it, I would add shrink tubing as well! to provide a permanent seal to the wires.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so I finally got around to doing this job today. I dropped the pan , and by the look of the fluid / filter and pan magnet, was probably time for some service. ok now, the unit from rock auto had a red and black wire. the original unit had a black and what looked like a white (when new) wire as part of that harness. however , the original solenoid had stamped on it red+ / black - in correspondence with the wires coming out of it. problem is ... those stamped indications were opposite of what one would obviously see as the black / red wire. naturally I would match the red on the new unit with the lighter color wire on the harness , and black with black. however I wired them as per the indication of the stampings. like you said , I soldered and heat shrunk the connections. I took her out on a decent test drive on highway etc etc , and so far haven't been able to replicate that shiftdown issue. I need to put more miles and testing. do you think I got that wiring ther wrong way?? it keeps bugging me and I hate to have to drop that pan again.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Are you familiar with getting into self diagnostics? Assuming no, simply drive the car till its fully warmed up. Then on a stretch of road where you can maintain 60 MPH for maybe 10 miles, lightly depress the brake pedal with your left foot while maintaining 60. You should feel a slight "bump" from the transmission as it disengages lock up, then another slight bump as you release your left foot as it reengages lock up. Thru diagnostics you can watch the engine RPM change as you apply/ release the brake pedal. Too late now, but I've always used synthetic trans fluid because its slipperier and keeps the solenoid from ever sticking again.

·
Registered
Eldorado
12 Posts
You can also disconnect the plug on your transmission; that controls the torque converter lockup. This will also cause your service soon light to come on, but will prevent your converter locking so you
can be sure of what the problem is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts