Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a McGaughy's 2/3 Spindle & Rear Spring Kit installed in my '07 Escalade a week ago.

I have the stock 22" wheels on and the ride is definitely uncomfortable on slightly bumpy roads; manageable on smooth highways.

A friend, who had the same kit installed on his '07 Escalade a while ago, was disappointed with the ride as well (but loved the look) so he took a chance. He trimmed the stock rear springs about a half of a coil and swapped it with the McGaughy's. The rear height was about the same, but the ride is much softer! With the front spindle not changing the stock ride up front and with the trimmed stock coils in the rear, it feels like a stock ride! I didn't attempt to do this in the beginning because I wanted to see how long it'll last on his ride and it has been months now with no problems.

He said that he'd trim the stock front springs with 2" drop spindles back in the days of dropping Chevy trucks resulting in a softer ride so he tried it for his Escalade which turned out fine. The ride of his Escalade and mines is like day and night!

Did anyone else do this out there?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Hotchkis has rear springs that are 2" lower than stock, some people who installed them said they liked the ride, it was not that harsh. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He mentioned cutting just half a coil, meaning half of a circle. I remember that he said he followed the same amount of cut he did with stock coils for dropping the front end of Chevy trucks two inches. He said he experimented cutting a full coil, one wrap, and it was too much.

I may try it this weekend because the cost of obtaining new stock rear coils isn't that much ($50.15 a piece).

HCVONE, where would I get info on the coils from Hotchkis for Escalades?

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how the 2/3 McGaughy's drop looks like installed.

Straight-forward system: 2" drop spindles up front, therefore nothing is changed on the stock springs and shocks. The rear consists of 3" drop springs and the installment of shackles that mounts the existing shocks 3" lower.

The front ride feels the same as if it was at the stock height, but the rear is stiff and gives a harsh ride driving on business and residential roads. Driving on freeways is tolerable, but nothing close to stock ride.

As I've mentioned, a friend trimmed his rear stock springs about 1/2 of a coil and it sits at the same level as the aftermarket drop springs, BUT the ride feels the same as the stock height ride. He mentioned to trim the stock spring about 1/4 of a coil first and install it. Drive the Escalade around the block to make it sit, then check the height. If it's still high, trim another quarter coil and measure again. He said that each stock coil varies, therefore you may end up trimming 3/4 of a coil, but shouldn't take more than that.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2 wheel drive.

At times when I look at it when it's parked, the 2/3 drop is just at the level where the rear-end of the Escalade seems to be a tad lower than the front. I like to have a slight "rake" in my vehicles, therefore I may consider dropping the back at 2 to 2.5 inches instead of the full 3". I'll try to accomplish this by trimming the stock rear springs.

I've seen lowered Escalades on the road (with big wheels) that appear to be lower at the rear; as if they had many passengers sitting in the very back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Hotchkis has rear springs that are 2" lower than stock, some people who installed them said they liked the ride, it was not that harsh. :)
I went to the Hotchkis site and no springs showed up for Escalades. Do you think the springs your friend used could have been another brand?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I put these springs in my 2007. The application says 2006, but in GM's wisdom, the springs are the same. I put on a detailed thread last year with pics, and it took me less than 1 hour. I used 1 floor jack, and 1 bottle jack.

I had to remove the pics from the old thread, but if your interested, I can recreate it.

Here is the link to the Hotchkis product in question. I ordered it direct.

http://www.hotchkis.net/products.php?mainCategory=116&categoryId=143&products_id=266

The key to these springs softness are that they have the same number of coils as stock. The McG springs are thicker, with less coils.

Dave

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave -

Did it basically lower the rear at 2", rather than 1.5" as advertised? If so, I think I'll try these at the rear with the McGaughy's 2" drop spindles up front to get the stock rake.

Could you post a pic please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The drop actually became 2.25". However, I put in a 1/2 inch riser because I was not lowering the front. This link is the original article. There are a couple of pics, but I've removed other's due to space restrictions.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/73292-07-escalade-mild-rear-drop.html

Here is the pic of the 2 springs.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/21713d1152025738-asantis-56k-look-out-pics-1024x768-new_and_old.jpg

Now, here are before and after pics. The before was done when I received the spring kit (see box).

The other is several months later, when I was actually showing someone the mudflaps I installed. The rake almost looks like the rear is lower than the front, but its the angle. The measurement is still 1/2 " higher in the rear (measuring the front/back of the running boards).

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave - So what's your honest opinion on these set of springs? Do they ride pretty smooth? I'm thinking of trying them out before I go on with trimming my stock rear springs.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I didn't notice anything different. If you ready my original installation thread, I thought it might have been a bit stiffer, but I also had removed my 3rd row, which lightened the truck as well.

The point of showing you the two springs side by side was to illustrate that there are the same number of coils (wounds) as stock. The McGaughy's uses much thicker material, but fewer coils. This is what causes the McG's to be so stiff.

I would recommended them.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts