Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm really considering purchasing a 2005 CTS V that someone is selling on Craigslist locally. They're asking $13200, here's the catch: it's a CTS that was turned into a CTS V. It has the front fascia, side skirts, (supposedly diff and suspension, which I'm going to check tomorrow) of course, LS2+6 speed trans, steering wheel, badges, wheels, even the calipers are from the V!! It has 92k miles and the only real things wrong are bald rear tires, engine vibrates a bit when accelerating (maybe mounts, maybe normal?), sunroof switch doesn't work, engine diagnostic indicates "service airbag" and engine cover is missing, nothing that really bothers me. Otherwise, it's a clean title and is in very good shape on the outside and inside. The KBB on a V is between $11-13K but much less on a base CTS. What do you guys and gals think? Should I skip this since it's a swapped V?

·
Registered
Silver 2014 CTS - VSport; Caterham CSR
28 Posts
You've got to be wondering why someone would take a perfectly good CTS and do all that. Unless it wasn't that good before. A clean title doesn't always mean it there wasn't major damage, it just means the current title does not reflect it.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, according to the owner, all the work was performed by Cadillac, professionally done and all service records are available at the dealer.
If he'll go for $10k then we're talking, but I am apprehensive of buying a replica vs a true V.
There's a true 2005 6 speed V going for $19k with 65k miles and some mods, that I'll have to drive for. Better buy?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
69 Posts
Well, according to the owner, all the work was performed by Cadillac, professionally done and all service records are available at the dealer.
If he'll go for $10k then we're talking, but I am apprehensive of buying a replica vs a true V.
There's a true 2005 6 speed V going for $19k with 65k miles and some mods, that I'll have to drive for. Better buy?
i'd take a closer look at that service record, if its just oil changes and filter changes, thats not a real good sign to say "buy it"
when i read the word replica was red flag already, i say pay money for what you should get, not something someone put in the back yard of there home,
and then selling you for 10k or 13200 which can earn you a ticket to mechanic shops to fix bugs and issues why replica means not original anymore,
with making you feel "man, this is a 13k headache, i should have listened to lo_o1zero:highfive::rolleyes::canttalk:" lol

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Assuming this is a real conversion I have to wonder what compels someone to do this. I see this on the Mustang forums often (I also own a 2011 Mustang GT California Special convertible), with people who buy V6 Mustangs and then want to covert them to GTs.

The parts alone, not counting labor would probably put you over what it would have cost you to just buy the V (or Mustang GT) in the first place.

Even an engine upgrade goes beyond just a mere swap. You most likely have ECU and BCM upgrades that need to occur if you don't want your dash lighting up like a Christmas tree with warning lights, and let's assume he did it all the "right" way. If he's selling it for $10K, I would think he's taking a major bath on it.

----------

I say this because I dabbled in this. Before my Mustang GT I owned a 2006 Mustang V6 convertible. I bought it because initially all I really wanted was a summer convertible. I immediately regretted not getting the V8.

I added a cold air intake, tune and cat back exhaust. That alone was nearly $1,000 in mods with only marginal performance gains. I then started looking into adding an aftermarket turbo, but there was so much to consider, exhaust manifolds, tuning and not to mention suspension and brake upgrades to handle the additional power. The turbo upgrade alone would have been close to $5K-$6K, and even with those upgrades I would have only gotten that V6 to "near" what a GT puts out in performance. With all that money it would have been cheaper to just get rid of it and buy the GT (which I did), and probably have better reliability.

Now if you get your enjoyment in the journey of putting the car together, well that's another thing all together, and there's really no price for that.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
Why not just buy a clean example of the real deal for just a little more? How many miles on the donor vehicle? I think you're buying someone else's amateur project (no way did "Cadillac" or a dealer perform this swap), so think about resale down the road. When I'm buying a used performance car, so much as a CAI and I wonder how it was driven. OEM stock please! Oh and bald rear tires...haha, hmmmm, this car has been hammered on, count on it.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points.. I am a pretty good wrench turner, working on cars for 14 years now. Engine swaps, clutches, suspension, you name it, I've done it. A buddy and I both owned f bodies which I changed the clutches on both, difficult, no, time consuming, yes. I own an S13 which I swapped in an SR20DET myself, in my street, so yeah I get a kick out of assembling and modding my own cars!
Anyway, this seems like a properly swapped V, with everything down to minor things like the steering wheel, side skirts, dash cluster and yes,the computer swapped over. I even have both VINs to check at the dealer. Yes it was expensive to do, yes I saw a pic of the car staging with a corvette at the speedway, and yes I'm well aware of costs of parts and potential issues, however I'm not afraid of challenges and have extensive skill to tackle most problems that could arise.
That said, I will very likely pass on this car and keep looking. Really what concerns me most is resale value and reliability. I need something with less miles and that can have good resale value in the event I do not desire to keep the car any longer.. My search won't stop for a V though. After driving that V, I can say I am hooked to the power! Its really a 4 door Vette! The hunt continues..

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Don't settle for less than the real thing. Good luck in your search. :)

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
I had an '07 V, great car. Hard to find a true 4-door corvette (meaning rear drive, V8 power, and manual). Chrysler products are decent looking but heavy and don't handle well at the limit, (though I wouldn't really be bothered by that). Chevy SS is an option new, but a little spendy and certainly doesn't look the part. G8 GXP is cool, but you pay a premium and hard to find.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V Sport, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1972 Pontiac
342 Posts
First of all, it's not worth anywhere near 13k. More like 8k. 2nd, I'd be patient and wait for a real V that was built by the factory. He's full of shit that the dealer did that. Never happen. 3rd. This is the wrong forum. This is V sport, not V. Just FYI, the guys in 1st gen cts v would know more although I did have a first gen V, then an sts v and now the cts v sport, so I am versed in the car.

----------

Also, most likely the V components came from a totalled V that he installed in a regular cts that probably had a blown motor or tranny.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not even a month later, and I found my V!!
2005 model in light platinum. Thought it had a rebuilt title, turns out its a clean title V (it was in an accident, reported to carfax, but everything is in proper working order and body lines are perfect)!! 78k miles with only worn out engine mounts, sloppy shifter,chipped nav buttons, and the notorious wheel hop, but no diff whine, and everything that should work, works fine.
Best part about the deal, I got it for $10k! $3k less than blue book in my area.
Already ordered new engine and transmission mounts, as well as adjustable shifter kit from Creative Steel, and i'll do a write up/review once installed so pretty stoked:yup: Very next upgrade will be Geforce axles to help out with the hopping.
I have a feeling that I have the 4th gen diff, hence 0 whine, but won't know until I get under the beast. Thanks for the guidance folks, patience pays off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts