I was looking at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort

·
Registered
253 Posts
airbalancer said:
Looking to book a trip to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico around Jan 22
Has anyone been in the area?
I was looking at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort
Don't know anything about that particular resort, however, I did just spend my honeymoon at the El Cozumeleno. I can tell you a few things: If you can afford it, do not go all inclusive unless the resort is a 5 star all inclusive. El Cozumeleno is a 3 star and after 2 days all the food tasted the same. After 4 days it became blatantly obvious to me that no food ever went to waste in their kitchen: cabbage rolls one night was the next days cabbage and meatball stew. And I would have killed to have a little mexican food (tacos, enchiladas, or any local fare), but since American dollars dominate the industry down there, just about all the food on the resorts is American (or maybe it was just my resort). Also, I'm sure you heard not to drink the water, but have you heard not to eat the salad either? The salad is almost invariably washed in tap water. My wife got a nice case of Montezumas that she couldn't seem to get rid of because she (or me either) didn't think about the salad. If you are planning on exchanging money in the hotel, exchange it from USDs to Pesos. They screw you if you are exchanging Canadian dollars. Don't ask me why. If you decide to visit Cozumel, resist the urge to rent a motorscooter. Not only will you look like a tourist (undesirable) but you will also quickly find that people with cars don't care that you're on 2 wheels. Resist the urge to bring liquor back (unless it's some $200 bottle of tequila that you just can't get north of Mexico), because the biggest price break you'll see is maybe $3. When you are walking in the marketplace, avoid eye contact with the merchants. If not, you'll be back at your hotel wondering why you bought all this crap you can't return. I'll chime in if I think of anything else.

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
We visited the Mayan Riveria in Sept of this year and had a blast. Stayed at the Palladium on the Colonial side away from most of the activity. Much more private if thats your thing. All Inclusive with adequate food. There are 4 ala carte restraunts that will require reservations which I do suggest, but the Buffets are fine with plenty of choices. We stayed in one of the Mayan Suites which was worht the extra bucks. Marble everywhere and service was great. Expect to walk lots wherever you stay as most resorts are large, and auto rental is affordable and suggested. They drive crazy there, so be forwarned. Take your own snorkel gear and try the Cenotes and local lagoons for some eye candy underwater. Do some searches on the web and you might want to invest in a map from the Map Girl. It was worth the $7.95 I paid. I'll see if I can dig up some more info for you if you like. Just email me and we'll take it from there. You will have a blast if you plan/budget properly.

Don

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We always do the all inclusive trip. I find it better if I know the cost before I go away. Usually the place we go is out of the way and there is no other place to eat.or resort around
Last year we were in Montelimar Resort in Nicaragua(pixs http://groups.msn.com/MontelimarResortJan2003) great deal it cost $1100.00 for both the wife and I.
Food was so so, room ok, beach was great. It was the only place on the beach. You could go a hour on ATV before you had to turn around. Beer and rum was good.
We have done Cuba, Panama, San Andres Island, Brazil
Not in to the shopping thing( way travel thousand of miles to buy crap, these place as no deals on electronic stuff anyway, and like they would have caddy stuff)
Did you find Baracelo too large and was there alot of kids around?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts