Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got 230,000 miles on my 2010 SRX, but it's not Lux - 3.0 front-wheel drive. That's not an anemic power plant. Original everything in the drive train and still going strong. Changed transmission fluid at 150,000 and getting ready to do it again. Bought after market headlight enclosures, double-sealed them before installing, and put them in myself. No issues. Sunroof gets a little damp on passenger side front in a downpour, but if I park with any uphill tilt to the car, it doesn't leak. Replaced all the lights inside and out with LEDs. Had to replace 2 rear wheel bearings and MAF sensor, but that's all the major stuff. Consistent maintenance. I love the car. YMMV. Also have a 71 Dodge Charger 500, with half a million miles on it, and a 2008 Lexus ES with only 90,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone, I’m a new member to this webpage. I’m about to purchase 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD with 120,000 miles. I’m in love with the features on this car.
I have some concerns about the engine life on this generation of Cadillac.
On the internet, it says the average life of the engine on this vehicle is 130,000 miles, with regular maintenance and oil change. The car already has 120,000 miles on it. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this car?
Who on this page has the highest mileage on their SRX and how much do you pay for maintenance?
Hoping for a positive experience
This is a good place to go for advice, but my father always said the worst vice is ad-vice.

Do your research. Vehicle and title history, have a mechanic check it out (decent dealerships will let you do that most of the time, if they won’t, take your business elsewhere), get an insurance quote and then take it for the longest test drive you can. If it’s legit, check out used car websites for the same model with the same options to make sure the price is legit. That’s about the extent of what you can control. If your heart is set on it, buy it and lovingly maintain it.

You will find a million people who will say a first model year car is a huge risk and likely to have issues. Then you will find a handful of people who will say they’ve had no problems at all. Take all with a grain of salt, because odds are that your experience will be somewhere in between those extremes. For the most part, I’ve stuck with GM because their issues are fairly predictable and there are lots of GM dealerships to service it (yes, I’m one of “those people” that get my cars serviced at dealerships; you’d be amazed how many technical bulletins, minor recalls and part updates there are constantly being put out that a non dealership knows nothing about). Buy your dream car and then take it to a dealership to have them do a thorough once over. If they’re good people, stick with them. If they aren’t, go to another dealership.

Since you wondered, my daily car is a 2014 Cadillac ELR I bought after tons (years) of research. It’s been utterly fantastic for me, but there’s been all kinds of risks with buying a rare car (less than 3,000 ever made) that was only made for two model years. So I got a dashcam with front and rear cameras and had it professionally installed to help protect it from people. If anyone bumps into my car, I’ll have some video. Lord help whoever bumps into my baby and breaks a headlight (currently retailing at $800-$1000 for a single used headlight) or breaks one of the bumpers. I love the car so much I’d probably only trade it for a 2016 ELR, or maybe a Celestiq when they come out, but ELRs sure aren’t for everyone. My wife loves riding in my ELR, but hates driving it for an assortment of reasons (she loves SUVs and doesn‘t trust technology). Anyway, I took it to my local Caddy dealership for service (there’s only a handful of dealerships certified to work on the ELR) and found out the hard way the previous owner hadn’t kept up on routine maintenance, but it was early enough that they resolved all the issues quickly and updated firmware and software over the span of a couple visits (no charge as it was still under warranty when I bought it with 35k miles on it). Anymore it’s almost an event when I take my car for an oil change or a milestone service, the tech that works on my car loves it almost as much as I do, so at least for me I can say the Cadillac owner experience has been fantastic (this was my first Caddy purchase). Just as an example of what you get from dealerships, my car has always had a semi annoying chirpy rattle in both doors. I chalked it up to age, but when I mentioned it to my dealer service advisor, he looked it up and there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to replace a single retention clip doo-dad in each door with a new one that was made out of a softer plastic. They swapped the clips out (no charge) and no rattle at all anymore. That won’t ever happen at even the most reputable non dealer businesses. My dealer always washes and sweeps my car every time I take it there too, whether it needs it or not.

Just hit 50,000 miles (the warranty expired in 2020 due to age instead of mileage, which was a first for me), no issues at all and the techs that did the 50,000 mile service on my car didn’t even charge me labor for all the checks, recalibrations, adjustments and inspections they did. My (current) dream car is in great shape and I expect it to last me as long as I want it to, barring an accident or other catastrophe.

As I’ve mentioned, I’ve stuck with GM, but a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe almost pushed me away from them for a while. It was a giant POS that made me a thorn in the side of the dealership that sold it to me. There were several in warranty issues that were annoying but just about everything went wrong with it right after the 3year/36k warranty expired. I complained so much the dealership eventually gave me a deal on a loaded 2004 Trailblazer LTZ (back when Blazers were full size instead of the tiny Blazers of today). I kept it until the transmission decided to stop working with 120,000 miles on it in 2010. That Blazer wasn’t what I wanted, but I grew to love it and took care of it, and it was way more reliable than the supercharged 3800 V6 Pontiac that was supposed to be one of the most reliable and highest rated GM engines of all time. My experience with that engine was not pleasant and I’ve avoided V6 equipped cars since.

That was a long way to go to say “get what you want and take care of it well,” but it’s the best answer. Hopefully the one you get doesn’t let you down.

·
Registered
2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX
1,163 Posts
I am orig owner of 2010 SRX AWD, Performance. Has electronic shock absorbers,( $500 each) electric radio/Navagation screen w Deluxe Hard Drive- Replay a Song radio ($3700), power hatch ( $475) polished, phony plastic clad, chome wheels ( $775 each, she hits curbs!!) awesome HID headlights $575 each, large sunroof that leaked water on front floor/flooded rear hidden storage area 5" deep (destroyed power hatch motor) $485 for roof drain hose repair, harsh ride w OEM 20" tires: car garaged as every nite. 31,000 Original miles!

*Above are my costs to repair/replace items. Wife will NOT give up car! Loves size & looks!! So do I ! ( Tricoat White!) lol. NO OTHER ISSUES. We added body side molding HEADS UP my friend!! Buy at own risk!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cadillac paid $1,300 and I paid $100. I still am not 100% happy with the output of the new headlights. Was thinking of adding fog lights to assist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Everyone, I’m a new member to this webpage. I’m about to purchase 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD with 120,000 miles. I’m in love with the features on this car.
On the internet, it says the average life of the engine on this vehicle is 130,000 miles, with regular maintenance and oil change. The car already has 120,000 miles on it. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this car?
Who on this page has the highest mileage on their SRX and how much do you pay for maintenance?
It's a crap shoot without a maintenance history.
A good scan is critically important.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
53 Posts
I have a 2005 SRX AWD with 200,962 miles. It's leaking oil somewhere. It's not on the ground so may me using it. Not sure. Its a V-8 and Runs strong. Had to replace runoff hose as water collected in area where the Jack was located and had to replace amplifier due to water shorting it out. Sunroof doesn't leak, but the gear that opens and closes it needs replacing so it stays closed and the Sunshade won't close as the plastic pins broke off I just let the sun shine in.

If some could let me know how to fix Sunroof and shade issue, and fix where I'm losing oil, I would be happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you all for such informative replies. I loved the car way too much to let it go and ended up buying it. Honestly I have no regrets. I did check the sunroof and there were no signs of leak and the car also runs smooth.
However the previous owner changed the headlights. And for some reason, took the headlight covers with him!!
The headlights he installed look a little different than OEM. You know how you have 2 white led bulbs (not the amber one at the end of the headlight), the ones on the side of the headlight. Instead of that, it has a led strip, and the passenger side led strip doesn’t work.
Also it gives me AFL warning every time I start the car. I did some research and it showed me, the AFL motor might have disconnected so I should try to wiggle it back in place. It didn’t work. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s a non turbo car. So the only major thing I have to worry about is timing chain. I have seen some videos on YouTube on how to fix the leaky sunroof and headlight.
I mean, which car is perfect! It will take time and money to fix each and every car. Some car costs more than other. It all depends if you are willing to take that chance.
I haven’t heard anything positive in this thread but I feel it won’t be such a big problem.
It’s a 3.6 GM has had that engine for a long time in many different models and makes the engine strong and sound! I have an SRX with 98,000 miles on it and it’s been a very good car engine is sound is it convey I have had some suspension issues with mine. I will get in the car and drive it from North Carolina to Los Angeles right now And never think twice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 2011 SRX a year ago with 150k mi. Runns great passed PA st insp no rust Eng starts and runs fine. Use synthetic oil 10w30

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
966 Posts
Thank you all for such informative replies. I loved the car way too much to let it go and ended up buying it. Honestly I have no regrets. I did check the sunroof and there were no signs of leak and the car also runs smooth.
However the previous owner changed the headlights. And for some reason, took the headlight covers with him!!
The headlights he installed look a little different than OEM. You know how you have 2 white led bulbs (not the amber one at the end of the headlight), the ones on the side of the headlight. Instead of that, it has a led strip, and the passenger side led strip doesn’t work.
Also it gives me AFL warning every time I start the car. I did some research and it showed me, the AFL motor might have disconnected so I should try to wiggle it back in place. It didn’t work. Any suggestions??
So your car has adaptive HID's, the so called good lights. The lights move when turning at low speeds. Mine were bad, had that message, shortly after I got it, and were replaced under warranty before it went out. Replacing it is the only way that I know of to fix it, but, have it diagnosed as see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So your car has adaptive HID's, the so called good lights. The lights move when turning at low speeds. Mine were bad, had that message, shortly after I got it, and were replaced under warranty before it went out. Replacing it is the only way that I know of to fix it, but, have it diagnosed as see.
Yes, I did try to find some solutions online. It didn’t work. I also found out the new headlights that the previous owner installed don’t support AFL. I believe that’s the reason but I’ll get it checked this week

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
966 Posts
Yes, I did try to find some solutions online. It didn’t work. I also found out the new headlights that the previous owner installed don’t support AFL. I believe that’s the reason but I’ll get it checked this week
That would be the reason then,...You'll have to replace them with oem, approx $3000.00 for the pair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

I have attached photos of two different headlight version for this vehicle. The previous owner installed the headlight which can be seen in the second photo. The one with a led strip on the side. Also this version has the bottom bulbs as DRL and turn signal.
The other photo, in which the red car is visible, it has two led bulbs on the side. Also the bottom bulbs are high beam and turn signal.
I have 2010 SRX premium, which headlight housing is standard for my car? and is there a option to choose the other one from factory?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
71woNnEMC9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
2010-2014-cadillac-srx-replacement-headlight-hid-xenon-model-driver-left-side-6.jpg

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
966 Posts
The upper one, the one with the amber turn signal and drl on the lower portion. The high beam and low beam are on the same bulb as there is a flapper that opens up for high beams.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Kunal,

I own a 2010 CTS Sport Wagon with the 3.0L that has just shy of 170k miles on the engine. I can honestly say that this motor is running as well now as it did the day I drove the car off of the lot eight years ago when I bought it pre-owned at 34k miles. I believe that many of the 2010 SRX's have this very same 3.0L (the GM LF1 series engine) so if this vehicle you are now considering has the 3.0L, I wouldn't worry one bit about motor longevity. As a bonus, the 3.0L LF1 does not seem to be subject to the ubiquitous timing chain issues that its slightly larger brother the 3.6L engine seems to be prone to, as reported by many here on the forum. I can actually verify this as per a recent experience I had with my own 3.0L whereby I had to have the timing cover replaced (my fault, not the engine's). I asked the mechanic who did the job to inspect the timing chains while the cover was off to make sure that they didn't have any undue wear or need replacing and he reported that the chains looked amazing, no excessive wear or slack to speak of, even at 170k!. I was honestly leaning toward just replacing the chains while the cover was off as a matter of principle, but the mechanic was perfectly honest with me in telling me that replacing my chains would essentially be a waste of money at this point, that they really looked that good.

Again, if this SRX has the 3.6L motor in it, then I can't really speak to longevity as I have no experience with it. But the GM 3.0L LF1 certainly seems to be bulletproof, at least to this point. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The upper one, the one with the amber turn signal and drl on the lower portion. The high beam and low beam are on the same bulb as there is a flapper that opens up for high beams.
Both these headlights are OEM? Because I have the ones with high and low in same bulb and my AFL doesn’t work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hello Kunal,

I own a 2010 CTS Sport Wagon with the 3.0L that has just shy of 170k miles on the engine. I can honestly say that this motor is running as well now as it did the day I drove the car off of the lot eight years ago when I bought it pre-owned at 34k miles. I believe that many of the 2010 SRX's have this very same 3.0L (the GM LF1 series engine) so if this vehicle you are now considering has the 3.0L, I wouldn't worry one bit about motor longevity. As a bonus, the 3.0L LF1 does not seem to be subject to the ubiquitous timing chain issues that its slightly larger brother the 3.6L engine seems to be prone to, as reported by many here on the forum. I can actually verify this as per a recent experience I had with my own 3.0L whereby I had to have the timing cover replaced (my fault, not the engine's). I asked the mechanic who did the job to inspect the timing chains while the cover was off to make sure that they didn't have any undue wear or need replacing and he reported that the chains looked amazing, no excessive wear or slack to speak of, even at 170k!. I was honestly leaning toward just replacing the chains while the cover was off as a matter of principle, but the mechanic was perfectly honest with me in telling me that replacing my chains would essentially be a waste of money at this point, that they really looked that good.

Again, if this SRX has the 3.6L motor in it, then I can't really speak to longevity as I have no experience with it. But the GM 3.0L LF1 certainly seems to be bulletproof, at least to this point. Good luck!
The car I purchased has 3.0 liter engine. Thank you for your experience.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
966 Posts
They both can be oem, as the was 2 models available. HID and halogen. Premium and Performance models had HID, Luxury and Base models had halogens. Halogens are much cheaper, so, one can see why one could replace the lamp assembly with a much cheaper one.

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,075 Posts
There are two headlamp assemblies in the SRX. Base one uses halogens in the eyeball, with an amber turn signal bulb in the lower outer position and a high beam bulb in the lower inner position (FYI the high beam lamp also acts as the DRL, running at partial brightness). The uplevel assemblies have an HID bulb as both high and low in the eyeball, with a dedicated DRL in the lower inner position and the same amber turn in the lower outer. The HID versions come with adaptive forward lighting (pivoting eyeball). Whomever changed out your headlight assemblies either cheaped out and didn't get the HID versions, or were ignorant and didn't know which ones to get.

Max

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
They both can be oem, as the was 2 models available. HID and halogen. Premium and Performance models had HID, Luxury and Base models had halogens. Halogens are much cheaper, so, one can see why one could replace the lamp assembly with a much cheaper one.
So the one with led strip is for premium and performance models and the one with two led bulbs is for luxury and base models. Correct? I don’t know why I still get the AFL service light every time I start the car

21 - 40 of 46 Posts