Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I’m a new member to this webpage. I’m about to purchase 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD with 120,000 miles. I’m in love with the features on this car.
I have some concerns about the engine life on this generation of Cadillac.
On the internet, it says the average life of the engine on this vehicle is 130,000 miles, with regular maintenance and oil change. The car already has 120,000 miles on it. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this car?
Who on this page has the highest mileage on their SRX and how much do you pay for maintenance?
Hoping for a positive experience

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts
No.
It's the 1st year of this design and could have some major problems in It's near future.

Kudos for asking here first, before you buy it.
Yep, walk away unless the price is super cheap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly I think the engine is the least of your worries. I just bought a 2010 Lux myself but with only 90000 miles. Lessons I've learned....If you buy it, keep in eye on leaking sunroof. Make sure the headlights are not moistured up and check them at night. There are many other quirks according to this forum. Also, just because it's the first year of this generation, doesn't mean Cadillac changed anything to make it better in subsequent years...understatement of the year there...lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your reply. I did see the forum and headlight and sunroof are not my biggest concerns. I can fix it myself. But the engine compartments and the components in there seem quite complex. So if I take good care of the car, how long can I make it last? Can everyone please tell me your car, year and miles. And also how has the maintenance treated you?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,194 Posts
If you're willing to deal with it, timing chain and turbo issues are in your future, along with sunroof drains, tailgate motor issues. I've bought 1st year cars a few times, but, I worked at the dealer during those times.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a non turbo car. So the only major thing I have to worry about is timing chain. I have seen some videos on YouTube on how to fix the leaky sunroof and headlight.
I mean, which car is perfect! It will take time and money to fix each and every car. Some car costs more than other. It all depends if you are willing to take that chance.
I haven’t heard anything positive in this thread but I feel it won’t be such a big problem.

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
614 Posts
You, Sir, are a breath of fresh air. You write like a person with a positive/realistic attitude about vehicle. With that attitude you probably will not have a lot of problems. At least they will not seem like large problems to you.

George

·
Registered
2010 SRX
37 Posts
I bought my 2010 SRX Luxury 3.0 about 4 years ago with about 100k miles on it (paid $7500), and it now has about 145k miles. I have been very happy with it, would only consider selling it to get a XT5 or XT6. The only things I have done other than change the oil going by monitor, is to replace the headlights (got a check for $1300) and normal maintenance items such as tires/brakes. Engine is very smooth and quiet, AC ice cold.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
716 Posts
Well to cut to the chase, I would pass on that car. Man there are a ton of SRXs out there. Do yourself a favor and find one with lower miles and the improved 3.6 used in 2012 and after. A Premium should have the "good" headlights at least. Mind does anyway. At 120k the timing chain is on borrowed time unless it's been replaced. Might want to check that out. If it's been changed out that's another thing to not worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Everyone, I’m a new member to this webpage. I’m about to purchase 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD with 120,000 miles. I’m in love with the features on this car.
On the internet, it says the average life of the engine on this vehicle is 130,000 miles, with regular maintenance and oil change. The car already has 120,000 miles on it. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this car?
Who on this page has the highest mileage on their SRX and how much do you pay for maintenance?

Hey there. I had a 2010 SRX. Had lots of Issues with it. I suggest passing. The sunroof leaked to the point that it ruined the internal computer, and even bigger problems after that. The Cadillac Dealership wanted $130.00 to diagnose the roof, even though I showed them what the issue was (thanks to youtube). I took it to an aftermarket auto parts place (Accessories Unlimited) and they fixed it for $89.00 but at that point it was too late. I had the top of the line unit, drove and looked really nice. Oil changes ran about $110-$160 but our local Cadillac Dealership is really proud of their stuff. I will never buy another newer Cadillac again. Love my 1988 and I will stick to that. My 2 cents worth. Good luck.....Oh and by the way. When I traded it, the miles were at 94,000

Or a SRX anyways!

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
730 Posts
As to concerns of the engine
One thing GM knows how to do is build strong running engines

I bought this 1993 SedanDeville 60 Special 20 years ago for only $800 in cash
The owner who was a older woman knew nothing about cars but told me the speedo broke some years ago
At the time I bought it speedo reported about 178,000 miles.

Even if I only put 2,000 miles on it per year over 20 years is another 40,000 miles so that makes it this 4.9 Liter engine has about 218,000 miles !

As to maintenance, tranny only changed the fluid once
Engine normal oil changes, and due to how bad it would be to change the sparkplugs and wires
I still have not changed them and the car runs very well
Does have a slight leak, think it is pan gasket.

Other then that I had to change the compressor for the A/C, replace the shocks and fix the auto load leveler
that had air leak.
And replace the tires, along with brakes. That is it

First got it I buffed out the paint and chrome and most seeing the car think it is much newer then it is

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
716 Posts
I beg to differ on Caddy building good engines. Just go ask a mechanic if you should buy a Caddy. I can't tell you how many people I asked who said don't buy a Cadillac. They all cited the infamous timing chains. Most of the engines produced for about a decade ending in 2012 were anemic and troublesome. Not just Cadillac, many other GMS of the same era. Sorry, big GM/Caddy fan here, but they had some really bad engine years. Most of the 80s were nothing to brag about either. Caddy made good engines up to the mid 70s, had a few more during the early 90s, and now seems like they are pretty good again. As with anything automotive though, your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,584 Posts
Good engines, bad engines; good cars, bad cars; good transmissions, bad transmissions; good electrical, bad electrical; yadda, yadda - apply that to ANY automobile brand ever made and it's about correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good engines, bad engines; good cars, bad cars; good transmissions, bad transmissions; good electrical, bad electrical; yadda, yadda - apply that to ANY automobile brand ever made and it's about correct.
You know, your are correct. Any vehicle out there you hear good and bad...Luck of the drawl!! LOL:cool:

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
564 Posts
You pays your moneys and you takes your chances with any vehicle. Some just happen to be worse than others!

I mean should I be complaining about our 64' Landrover which had bad seals on the hydraulic clutch after we owned it for 14 years ? No I think not.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
730 Posts
I beg to differ on Caddy building good engines. Just go ask a mechanic if you should buy a Caddy. I can't tell you how many people I asked who said don't buy a Cadillac. They all cited the infamous timing chains. Most of the engines produced for about a decade ending in 2012 were anemic and troublesome. Not just Cadillac, many other GMS of the same era. Sorry, big GM/Caddy fan here, but they had some really bad engine years. Most of the 80s were nothing to brag about either. Caddy made good engines up to the mid 70s, had a few more during the early 90s, and now seems like they are pretty good again. As with anything automotive though, your mileage may vary.
Well I must be really lucky in this as I have owned GM vehicles for 55 years, starting with a 1951 Chevy and have never lost a GM engine and I am worst case in racing from drags, autocross, track and open road racing

Fact is in my line of work I see all kinds of other makes of vehicles if rat rods, restores, etc most engine they select to use is a GM engine, like the LS, LT, etc
Even worked on a company building a special type of helicopter and used a LS6 engine.

Most problems can happen when people do not properly maintain their vehicles, use cheap 3rd party replacement parts or do not bother to use the internet and keep up with all GM TSBs for their vehicle and then act on them

Not saying things cannot go wrong but well known that GM engines are designed well, so much so at some time GM warrantied engines for 100,000 miles, even for Corvettes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 srx lux.it has 156000 on it the only complaint I really have about the little suv are the headlights at night you will have to drive around with the high beam lights on it's a flaw Cadillac knows about but wont recall they want you to buy them and have them put in at your own cost. And supposedly reimburse you.?? I'm not sure what they are thinking but its supposed to be a Cadillac and they should bite the bullet and just recall them I dont trust them to reimburse me since they don't even acknowledge an issue or problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2010 SRX Luxury and it's got 102,000 miles. It's been a great car with just a few issues, headlights, lower control arms, bushings and struts, that's it! (Cadillac replaced the headlights too). Excellent service at my Cadillac dealership. Totally satisfied!

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I have a 2010 srx lux.it has 156000 on it the only complaint I really have about the little suv are the headlights at night you will have to drive around with the high beam lights on it's a flaw Cadillac knows about but wont recall they want you to buy them and have them put in at your own cost. And supposedly reimburse you.?? I'm not sure what they are thinking but its supposed to be a Cadillac and they should bite the bullet and just recall them I dont trust them to reimburse me since they don't even acknowledge an issue or problem
The headlight reimbursment ended last year…I replaced mine for $266 and have excellent low beam visibility at night…easy job with minimal skill required.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts