Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

Before asking for help, let me first say thanks. I'm two weeks into my first cadillac (94 SLS) and this site has been an amazing help. I can't believe how much knowledge and experience some of you have! I can't imagine any Cadillac owner ever going to a mechanic without checking in here first.

So last weekend, with help from a bunch of really old threads, I got my fuel injection problem resolved. But after a successful test drive (and every day since then) I've had a "P038 current" code. I don't have one of those FSMs that Krashed989 has used to illustrate things for other members (yet) and I don't know where the MAT sensor is on this motor. I've got a Haynes manual (which is basically useless) with a picture that doesn't match my plenum. And I saw a FSM picture from a post back in February, for somebody with a 94 Eldo, who was also trying to find the MAT. That picture doesn't match my intake either.

Can anyone show or tell me where the MAT sensor is on the 94 SLS? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
Someone can correct this..........If the engine is a 4.6 Northstar, your model had the MAF (Mass AirFlow sensor) bolted to the throttlebody, while the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is a pop-in affair in the intake piping at the air filter box.

Much later engines have the MAF/IAT incorporated in the same housing.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The MAT sensor (also called the IAT sensor) should be just towards the front of the car from the MAP sensor (the box thing on the drivers side) once you take the plenum/beauty cover off. To remove it, you unplug it then you need a deep socket to unscrew the whole thing from the intake.

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both of you. It's the 4.6 Northstar, but its not the original. In some things it follows the documentation for 1994 models, and in some things it seems to match the documentation for later models. I'm pretty sure my Haynes manual was directing me to the intake piping at the air filter box. But I just couldn't find it. And since it was my first dive under the hood on this vehicle (and the disassembly and re-assembly were hours apart) I assumed I just forgot to plug the IAT back in. But I didn't want to pull the intake cover again if I didn't have to.

Anyway, your replies have helped. I'm sure I'll be able to find it now. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
I'm not exactly sure where the IAT sensor is on the '94, but it has to be between the air filter and the TB. That should make it pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
1994 Seville SLS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! That's my intake system for sure. And just as I thought, I hadn't fully seated the IAT. Thanks again, all of you. And thanks Krashed989 for the picture. That was exactly what I needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts