Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I have been a V fan for a while. I currently drive a G35, and am without a doubt looking to upgrade. I have been lookin on autotrader at the Maserati Coupe. I am a big Maserati fan. From the 40-50K range, I can get a Maserati Coupe with 10-25k in milage. I know the V is a sedan, and it is hard to compare the two. They both do seat 4, and both have 400 HP. They both do about a 13 second 1/4 mile. It also goes 0-60 in 4.8. I just want to know what everbody thinks. I am a big V fan, but Maserati's do come with class. I live in Jersey, so snow is a problem, but the V, I assume, dosent fair too well either.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
I don't know if you plan to modify whatever car you decide to get but, I don't think the Maserati has the aftermarket support the V does. Also, do you have kids? Do you need the back seat to haul around clients, friends, family? All those reasons if answered yes, should motivate you to buy the V. If answered no, get the Maserati.

The Maserati is a coupe. The V is a sedan. Do you want to look like James Bond or The Transporter?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Doubt if the Maserati is as safe, or as reliable (The V seems to be so far if you don't beat the hell out of it). Plus the warranty won't be as good on a used Maserati, parts will be more expensive and mechanics may be harder to find if that's an issue.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
10 Posts
I don't know if you have checked into but the maintenance on the Maser is a bear. The parts are hard to find, expensive and just the regular scheduled maintenance is very expensive. Also your insurance will be much higher with the Maser then the V.

I know a couple people who have moved on from Maserati's, even though they loved them (you really can't beat the sound that engine/exhaust makes at WOT) due to the maintenance/reliability costs. The warranties don't really cover all that much and maintenance costs and wear items are on you. For example, to do a timing adjustment you have to drop the engine, and labor rates at a ferrari dealer is nothing to scoff at.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had a Maserati roll past me at the car wash a few weeks ago and it was definitely a sweet looking ride that sounded even sweeter. Add the element of exclusivity and it is a very attractive package.

The problem with Maserati is service. Its hard enough to find a conveniently located competent dealer for service of the V. With Maserati, it is hard to find a conveniently located dealer, period. Also, I rarely consider used cars with more than 10K miles on them, but that is just my preference.

If a two door vehicle will suffice, why not also consider a C6 Vette?

The V is a great ride, and bargains are out there to be had. At the same price point, I would probably go for a new V over the used Maserati. A good set of snow tires will get you through the winter.

CR

·
Registered
CTS-V
252 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson from topgear tested a maserati coupe and HATED it. Said it was crap. On the other hand, drove the V, and absolutely was amazed. Only shortcomings he said were shifter linkage, and plasticy interior. If you drive hard, you will break the V but there will be dealers around to fix it. If you break the Maserati, good luck finding a shop that's convenient for you. Thats the price you pay for the exclusivity of owning a Maserati though. Hope that helps

Ben

·
Registered
261 Posts
Performance is similar, with the edge going to the V.

The Maserati interior blows us away, but to be honest, the exterior of that Maserati is uninspired (I'm being polite here). It's not ugly, but it just doesn't look "exotic", which I think is one reason they can be had so cheaply.

I know a number of people who drive them, and Masesrati has made some huge strides in reliability, so the car wouldn't scare me all that much in that regard. I know they can be had with an automatic (if that's important to you) whereas the V can't.

It really depends on what you're after. Obviously, both will give you great performance, with the V providing you gobbs of power at both low and high RPMs. The Maserati does have power, but you won't find much of it down low, so there's a different driving style required.

If you're after servicability, affordable parts, comfortable room for four adults, and four doors, the V is it.

If you can accept the tiny dealer network for service, much higher service costs (and MORE frequent service intervals), and the thrill that can only come from drving something "exotic", the Maserati is it. Just beware, that particular Maserati won't attract the crowds of ooglers at gas stations that you might expect. It is an exotic, but it looks so unexotic that most people will walk right by it without noticing the name on the badge.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
V Amazed said:
Jeremy Clarkson from topgear tested a maserati coupe and HATED it. Said it was crap. On the other hand, drove the V, and absolutely was amazed. Only shortcomings he said were shifter linkage, and plasticy interior. If you drive hard, you will break the V but there will be dealers around to fix it. If you break the Maserati, good luck finding a shop that's convenient for you. Thats the price you pay for the exclusivity of owning a Maserati though. Hope that helps

Ben
And the "bong" ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats one thing that made me think about it... the reliability and the service. The one thing stopping me from a vette is that its a 2 seater, I like to accomodate people if need be, the coupe does seat 4. Plus the Maserati has class. As much as I LOVE the corvette, for some reason, it dosen't apeal that much to me (to have it as my main car). I really to beat up my cars, that is one thing that made me think also. I know I can beat up a V, where as the Maserati, well, who knows. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Maseritis are one of the nicest looking cars IMO. I followed one outside the Grand Canyon for around 2 hours (in my Grand Prix).

Maseritis can be considered as exotics. They are a lot more rare than the V. This should bring up a red flag though. They are not that reliable and there are not many mechanics that would even touch a Maserati (or that you want them to touch). Parts are so expensive, they make maintaining a high level Benz or BMW look cheap.

I wouldn't even consider driving that expensive of a car in snow. The V does a decent job in the snow with the proper tires and "throttle management". I think a lot of people think RWD cars = terrible in the snow. But imagine what we had to do before FWD, AWD and 4WD became available. We didn't have any electronic aids either, besides a radio to calm your nerves.

I wouldn't even consider the Maseriti coupe if you are considering carrying people in the back. A GTO might have more room in the back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
fcuk said:
I really to beat up my cars, that is one thing that made me think also. I know I can beat up a V, where as the Maserati, well, who knows. Hmmmm...
:eek:

These Maseratis are MUCH more reliable than their older siblings BUT, they absolutely will not put up with being beat-on. They're somewhat fragile and they require a driver that won't treat them like a "turn-the-key-and-go" Honda or something. They need more. If they make a noise, you need to hear it. If they feel funny, you need to notice it. They'll tell you when there's something about to go wrong, but if you're not listening, they'll hurt you. Given this new information, I'd stronly suggest fighting the temptation to buy the Maserati.

BTW: To those of you saying the Maserati's are beautiful, I'd absolutely agree "IF" we're talking about the Quattroporte. IMO, that's the best looking four door on the market today. I still consider the coupe to be a plain jane though.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
VELOSE said:
I don't know if you plan to modify whatever car you decide to get but, I don't think the Maserati has the aftermarket support the V does. Also, do you have kids? Do you need the back seat to haul around clients, friends, family? All those reasons if answered yes, should motivate you to buy the V. If answered no, get the Maserati.

The Maserati is a coupe. The V is a sedan. Do you want to look like James Bond or The Transporter?
Right on the money!. The V is a known entity!. This car is easy to take apart and put together. Other than the goofy differential, its an aftermarket delight and the parts are reasonable. The Mas is a great looking car for rich people to own, this way modding and repairs are a non issue.
Same with BMW, check the Dinan prices! Resale on a Mas also tanks quick. The V didnt do a lot better . If I had that kind of scratch it would be an Aston Martin anyway.
Just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Wow, tough decision...
I must say, as a Ducatisti, I am quite partial to the "mechanica italiano". I've never been one to follow the pack, as it is the V is quite rare, and prefer to have something with a little spice. With that said, I'd have to go with the Maserati. Without a doubt, the Maz has class...it looks great and makes all the right sounds. A guy parks his on the street by my office, a dark red...maroon?, and the car has something going for it. It's not an exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari, more understated...something that makes you look twice to confirm its marquee. A friend of mine traded a Porsche Turbo for a Maz Spyder, and he likes it better....go figure, I thought he was crazy until I caught a ride. The interior is absolutely beautiful and the engine makes sounds that rival anything I've ever heard.
Now, I love my V, and it does everything I ask quite well, but if I didn't need four doors (I think the Quattroporte is disgusting, a sad excuse of a Maz) and could afford the Maz...I'd have one. It's not a car you get and mod, at least not the engine. I can only imagine what it'd be like taking the Coupe to a track day and driving it well. And I'd bet with the right tire combination, it'd be tough to beat.

Bottom line, you need to test drive the cars to make the decision. One of them will speak to you, whisper to you through turns. I was fortunate enough to be able to ride several bikes prior to my decision, and I was impressed with all of them. But only one "felt" right, moved with me, and connected with me as a "soul-mate". I knew after a few miles that I'd not be able to sleep if I let her go. -Of all the cars I test drove this summer, only one had the same connection...the V. But I never drove the Maz....
-ace996

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Skeeter, that Maserati is Loco. I was like, "ok the back is cool, the side is cool, oh shiet the front cowl hood is beautiful." :D

I think as much as I would want to look like or feel like James Bond, I'd rather experience the thrill of the drive with my wife and kids as "The Transporter".

Still a tough choice..........:suspense:

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you read the posts on this forum, you won't believe the Mas is any less troublesome than the "V". Buy what trips your trigger. Both will be a disappointment!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts