Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update: Well I've put about 300 miles on the new water pump and can say that there are no problems cropping up. No more marbles in a tin can. No leaks anywhere. Changed the oil & filter (new Wix filter and Castrol 5w-30) and drained the radiator & put in new 50/50 Dex-Cool. New air filter, too. Recharged AC system with some 134 (without sealant) so the AC is now nice and cool. She's running great now however, I'll be changing her spark plugs in a week or two as she's now at 92k miles. Thanks for all the good advice guys. BTW, I cannot find the cabin filter to replace. In one thread the cabin filter was supposed to be located in passenger side engine bay; another thread says it's under the glove box and another said it was above the accelerator pedal! Anyone really know where the blasted thing is in a 2001 STS Seville? Thanks.:banghead:

·
Registered
2014 XTS V-Sport Platinum
2,112 Posts
The cabin air filter is down at the drivers side of the center console to the right of the accelerator pedal. I hope you are a contortionist! It is the single biggest pain in the arse in the whole interior! I haven't bothered to address mine yet, but when I do, the service tech at the dealer can do it whilst I sip coffee in the waiting room.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Your car does not "require" a cabin air filter and there is considerable debate on whether or not it performs any worthwhile function whatsoever. Pull the filters out, vacuum out that compartment from time to time, and enjoy the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
The Deville cabin air filters are under the hood on the passengers side and VERY easy to change, unlike the Seville. If I ever had to do another Seville, I'd just pull it and do without like Kranz said.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,682 Posts
I pulled the 3-piece cabin air filter in 3/06 and have never regretted not installing another. That thing has to be the single most idiotic piece of automotive design ever foisted on the driving public. Cadillac or not, the entire idea and arrangement is stupid.

Get a fluorescent drop light and snake yourself into the driver's side floor, lying on your left shoulder. Up in/at the front of the hump, just inboard of the gas pedal, you'll see an amber colored nylon snap door with finger tab, about 1.5" x 4". Pull the finger tab and the door will pop, held by a retainer tab at the top. (If you feel the need, now remove the gas pedal.) Look into the cavity carefully: You will now cut a piece of tape, flip up a plastic tab on the bottom third of the filter, and (hopefully) slide the piece out toward you. The second part of the filter should (?) drop down into the newly vacant channel, and you repeat the tab pull drill. Now, if all the planets are correctly aligned, the third part of the filter will (?) drop down and you do the do again. NOW vacuum out the cavity - careful, there are a/c evaporator fins and coils in there - disassemble your new (why ?) filter, spray the tracks with dry silicone and reverse the entire process, but now you also have to figure out how to hold the pieces up in the cavity while you slide the new pieces together. When you finally give up in disgust, either pay the dealer to replace the filter, or leave it out - you'll never know the difference UNLESS you park under trees all the time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts