·
Registered
1,380 Posts
bahh just get an Allison Auto :D

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If I understand correctly, the use almost the exact same tranny on the F1 cars (F1 versions are probably beefed up more). but i would assume that they would be able to handle anything that you threw its way.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Devil_concours said:
basically most real smgs are proven bullet proof gear boxes?
They are definitely the most technologically advanced and most expensive transmissions. And even a Ferrari 360 is gonna have a tough time blowing a trans used in Formula One. I dont know if BMW has found a link to the M3 engine problem and the SMG, but i have not heard anything but great things about it. Manuals are usually more durable than autos...i guess it comes down to the mechanism that works the "clutch", but I believe parts used in F1 are generally some of the best in the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Brett said:
I dont know if BMW has found a link to the M3 engine problem and the SMG
well i heard that bad engine problem on m3 only applied to models produced within 2month period. I guess they did find the issue before it got out of hand.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Devil_concours said:
well i heard that bad engine problem on m3 only applied to models produced within 2month period. I guess they did find the issue before it got out of hand.
This weeks autoweek maybe it was last weeks, said that BMW was extending engine warrantys on all 01,02 and possibly 03 M3's. The article inferred that they still are not sure what the problem is, and gave instructions for owners on "what not to do"...it was things like dont rev the engine in neutral, let it warm up properly before beating on it etc. they are probably just being careful, and as far as the warranty its probabaly good PR. makes you feel a little safer buying one regardless if there is really a problem

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Brett said:
This weeks autoweek maybe it was last weeks, said that BMW was extending engine warrantys on all 01,02 and possibly 03 M3's. The article inferred that they still are not sure what the problem is, and gave instructions for owners on "what not to do"...it was things like dont rev the engine in neutral, let it warm up properly before beating on it etc. they are probably just being careful, and as far as the warranty its probabaly good PR. makes you feel a little safer buying one regardless if there is really a problem
well m3 and m5 doesn't let you rev hard until the engine is fully warmed up. There is a function where your redline is down low and it will disappear little by little until the engine is fully warmed up.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts