Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Some automatics are faster than sticks - f-bodies, for example. For the most part, the main advantage to a stick was the extra gear - that allowed bigger gears (ie. 373 instead of 323). Now with 6 speed automatics, that's all changing..

Tiptronics are okay. But like mentioned above, you can't hold redline. It'll shift at that point FOR you. It's really no big deal.. There's really no more excitement than if you just kept it in first and shifted manually with your regular shifter. I think it's a big waste, really.. I THINK the least expensive car you can buy with tiptronic is made by Volkswagen...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
what about the fact that in manual gear changes are quicker than automatic/tiptronic?
SMG is proven to be faster than both auto and manual. Maybe the v-series will come with smg

*off topic* this guy had a ferrari 360modena f1 at a local mall. We wanted him to rev his engine but he couldn't figure out how to put the car in neutral. LOL :D (has f1/smg gear box)

Attachments

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
The thing about manuals is if you dont know how to use it correctly then your car will be slower...I had a 99 auto vette that would blow away my friends 01 6speed... he never could get it right...as far as the M3 SMG that is an awesome trans...almost makes it worth buying that car...but a little small for me...which is my other problem with manuals...im too damn tall so it makes it hard for me to fit in a car in the first place...then you throw in a third pedal and it gets really cramped

Attachments

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
oh and if the v-series have SMG...not some quasi manual tiptronic....then there is no doubt i will own one

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
are you talking about the vti tranny by GM?

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
i was talking about a sequential manual like the M3 has...im not sure if GM even has one, but the do supply other manuals to BMW so they must be able to figure it out...a sequential gearbox in a cts like the one in the M3 would be AWESOME

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
TMK, GM doesnt have one. I think BMW makes all its own parts, but now sure on that one. It would be really cool to put a sequential on the northstar (6spd would be GOLDEN)

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
i believe the regular 6 speed in the 3 and 5 series is made by GM...this irks alot of people on BMW boards...ive seen it mentioned often but of course have no link

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
what it comes down to for me is if I can get a car or truck with a stick I would wilthout flinching

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I wouldnt personally get a stick, because I am not good enough at it, although i dont really have a lot of experience driving sticks. Not something ive had to worry about.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Devil_concours said:
what about the new tranny they are putting in the new gtp? is that a smg or auto stick?

I would guess its just an auto/stick...i have not seen or heard of an SMG other than BMW and Ferrari...my post responding to the CTS-V with SMG was wishful thinking. Also its 2800bucks extra on an already expensive M3 and 10k more on the Ferrari so I doubt from a cost perspective a GTP would be avaialble with one...but keep in mind im far from an expert i just read alot of magazines.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
They are on porches, also. My aunt has one (2001 carrera, 1100miles) and TMK it has one. I am really not up to date on these trannys, or any of that kind of stuff.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
The one on the Porsche is probably a tiptronic, i dont believe porsche has any SMG, although we're probably splitting hairs here. The ferrari and BMW smg's are based on F1 trannys and work almost exactly like one...in the case of the ferrari it even has the steering wheel paddles. Although this does seem to be a very gray area.

Tiptronic and SMG: both have auto mode
Tiptronic and SMG: both have manual mode

Maybe there is someone with a little more expertise that can clear this up. They are both vastly superior to something like a Chrysler autostick, which is basically just moving the shifter thru the gears...i can do that in my sls if i wanted to

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
also i have riden in an smg M3 and a 911 tip, the m3 trans is the best trans ive ever seen imho.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I have yet to ride in any car that has an outstanding tranny. Although, down in florida, there is probably more of those kind of cars around. Indiana doesnt exactly have what you would call exotic cars (the most exotic car i have seen in town is an Allante, pretty lame)

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
you know i guess the best way to put it is the SMG is a manual trans that has an auto mode...and the tiptronic is an automatic trans that you can shift yourself...the smg has no torque converter and the tiptronic does

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
OK, i think i understand better. You obviously know your stuff, or read a LOT of magazines!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts