Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying a new 2010 CTS. I have always owned cars with manual transmissions, but usually German or Japanese makes that sell manual-equipped cars in large quantities. My understanding is that less than 2% of CTS's come with a manual transmission. Could that present a problem down the line in terms of reliability or service?

·
Registered
2008 CTS
112 Posts
Flip a coin. We can speculate, but without a few years of real world road experience, who knows? You would think the designers and technicians know what they are doing at this point, but this is GM we are talking about. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a manual trans if I wanted one. Worst case scenerio, they come with a four year warranty.:2thumbs:

·
Registered
Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon
1,086 Posts
I drive an automatic myself. However GM, through Chevy, sell a lot of manuals in Corvettes and Camaros. The 3.6L with manual in the base Camaro is the same combo' found in the CTS.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The manual trans is a Japanese product...Aisin...but it is built in the US tho. ITs rated to handle near 350 ft-lbs...
If youre curious about quality, Aisin also supply transmissions for Porsche.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI FE3, 6sp man, Fully Loaded, Black/Black
26 Posts
I own a 09 CTS manual DI with 18" summer tire Perf Package.

The car was basically impossible to find, but I've enjoyed owning it . Came from a 2001 E39 525i 5sp. The positon of the stick takes a bit of getting used to, and the cupholders are not very usable (if you have larger bottles or shift a lot) (fine on the freeway).

However after getting used to the stick position, the car is awesome.
You will likely have to special order or have a dealer do an exchange.

Good luck. Feel free to email me with any other questions.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I had an 08 with stick. I hated it for 18 months. The shifter is balky and the clutch grabs where you wouldn't expect it to. It took four tries for the dealer to find and fix a clutch leak which made it slightly better. A week later I traded it in for a 10 with automatic. Early reviews of the '11 says the shifter and clutch have been changed and finally feel correct. I know this is subjective, but after years of driving Vettes with manual transmissions, I was sorely disappointed in the CTS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts