Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 2.8L 6spd. I was changing my oil and checking all of my fluids and everything looked good, except for the tiny manual transmission fluid resevoir (just in front of the coolant tank on the driver side). It is empty, but I can't tell how long it has been like that. Also my car has been a little hesitant when I let off the clutch in first gear. Almost like it is swaying forward and backward until I get up past 3k-4k RPM, is that related? My understanding is that you should never have to top off that fluid and if it is low, then there is a leak. I am going to take it in as soon as possible to get it looked at, but what should I be sure to tell them to look for? Should I avoid driving until I get it to the dealership? Can I get ewill3rd or anyone else to chime in on this one?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I highly doubt it is leaking.
We see a lot of this on the CTS-V.

That is actually the clutch fluid reservoir and for some reason the clutch systems are prone to causing the fluid to turn black and disappear.
You should start by simply having someone bleed the system and be sure it is filled to the proper level with good clean DOT3 or DOT4 fluid.
After that is done re-evaluate your clutch pedal operation and see if it is better.
Even if the reservoir is empty the lines can still be full and the system can work okay but this should be addressed before it gets air into the lines which will cause more issues.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch fluid! There ya go.... I couldn't think of the right descriptor. You are right. There is a tiny bit of condensed fluid in the bottom of the reservoir. It looks like dirty engine oil. I was worried that I would take it to the dealership and they would top it off and send me on my way. Needed to get some trusted input. Thanks for your help on this!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You are most welcome.
Topping it off might be okay, but I usually use a pressure bleeder and flush the system thoroughly.
It gets the nasty fluid out and any air that may have gotten in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts