Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the exact help I was needing I'm headed to play with those bushings and I'll see what that does for me.
It seems that I have options for shifters then, is there a specific term I should use to look them up, what I'd really like is lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
New bushings are a piece of cake to install and will make the biggest difference if you were going to choose one or the other. I did the creative steel bushings and a short throw at the same time. However when you do a short throw, the icing on the cake is getting a heavier shift knob. It makes a huge difference in shift ease and quality on a daily driver.
I recently purchased my RZ Ralco short throw shifter off EBay for $160.00. about half the price of some competitors. It works fantastically.
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions and anything surrounding it. I'm having the "sloppy" shifter issues in my '05 CTS 3.6L Manual. I found these but I'm not sure which exact one I would need to purchase. Can anyone assist? Also, how difficult are they to install once purchased? Is it something I'll have to go under the car for? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
This is the exact help I was needing I'm headed to play with those bushings and I'll see what that does for me.

It seems that I have options for shifters then, is there a specific term I should use to look them up, what I'd really like is lifetime warranty!
The only option that I know of that replaces the stock lever ball-and-plastic-socket is the Creative Steel shifter. There was a guy who used to modify a Hurst shifter (I believe intended for a Mustang) to work, but he stopped doing that a while back. I actually have one of those Hursts; I didn't like it, thought it was too notchy.

In searching on Ebay I see that Fidanza now has a shifter; they say it's for the CTS-V, but as I've said, the V6 shifter assembly is the same. I don't know if it's just a lever, or a complete replacement shifter - I can't tell if any of the pics on Ebay are actual pics, or just a "file photo" type example picture.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions and anything surrounding it. I'm having the "sloppy" shifter issues in my '05 CTS 3.6L Manual. I found these but I'm not sure which exact one I would need to purchase. Can anyone assist? Also, how difficult are they to install once purchased? Is it something I'll have to go under the car for? Thanks in advance
I just moved your post from the thread in the CTS-V forum to this thread in the V6 forum. (If you want to get back to the CTS-V thread, just click on the arrow next to t1turbo's name in his quoted post.)

There are a few different spots where slop can develop. The CS page you linked to has 3 different parts which addresses the most common one, but there are a couple others.
  • The poly bushings from CS go on the shifter support rods - go up a few posts to my picture with the yellow arrows on it, that's where those bushings go. Or in this diagram, it's where the #4 is pointing in the bottom picture:
    The stock rubber bushings are probably shredded or gone completely, so installing the CS poly bushings will make a major improvement.
  • The Delrin bushings from CS go where the where the linkage from the shifter to the transmission attaches to the transmission. That's what sx54dx was working on earlier in this thread (see post #15) and spelled out in more detail in his DIY thread. You can read in that thread what's required to replace those bushings.
  • The bronze bushings and stainless steel sleeve go at the bottom of the shift lever, where it attaches to the shift linkage that goes forward from the bottom of the shift lever to the transmission. You'll have to get under the car to get to that, but I don't know if you'd need to remove the lever from the car to replace those.
So that's the 3 things the CS parts address. The other 2 areas of play are:
  • The plastic bushing "cage" that goes around the ball on the shift lever. See the video I posted a few posts back. As I said in my reply to Kissler, the only option that I know of that gets rid of that plastic cage is the Creative Steel complete shifter, which installs a completely new pivot.
  • Where the shifter support rods attach to the transmission - where the #1 & #2 pins are in the top picture above. You'll have to remove the shifter assembly from the car to get to those. That's quite a bit of work, as you might imagine. I don't appear to have any pics, but I took mine out years ago, which required dropping the exhaust and unbolting the transmission crossmember so I could lower the rear of the tranny enough to get the shifter out. I think in the big scheme of things, these are a pretty small issue compared to all the other ones listed above.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
I imagine folks have done that, but you'd have to go searching in the CTS-V forum to years ago. I know probably 8 or 10 years ago there was discussion of doing aluminum ones, possibly using ones from another application that also uses a T56 family transmission. I'm not sure anything was ever confirmed about whether they would fit or not. (And I suppose that's a moot point for this discussion, since your transmission isn't a T56.)

I just received some of the Delrin ones from Creative Steel. I did the plastic "Home Depot mod" version years and years ago, and haven't looked at them since. But my transmission is going to be dropped in the near future to address a fluid leak from the shifter interface area, so I figured I'd do the Delrin ones while it's out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I imagine folks have done that, but you'd have to go searching in the CTS-V forum to years ago. I know probably 8 or 10 years ago there was discussion of doing aluminum ones, possibly using ones from another application that also uses a T56 family transmission. I'm not sure anything was ever confirmed about whether they would fit or not. (And I suppose that's a moot point for this discussion, since your transmission isn't a T56.)

I just received some of the Delrin ones from Creative Steel. I did the plastic "Home Depot mod" version years and years ago, and haven't looked at them since. But my transmission is going to be dropped in the near future to address a fluid leak from the shifter interface area, so I figured I'd do the Delrin ones while it's out.

I am all set I had a friend who made them out of delrin for me. They work great ! The shifter has never been better ! Thanks for all the help and advice.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts