Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 CTS 3.6 with the 6-speed Aisin manual. Lent the car out and my buddy came back and asked how the hell do you get it in reverse? Went out and the shifter is all sloppy, and won't go into reverse (like it won't go over far enough). I can get it in all the other gears, but the sharp detents and gates are gone, the shifter feels like a broomstick stuck in a pail of molasses. :banghead:

Looks like a few others have had this problem. Hopefully the problem is the shifter assembly and not the tranny itself.

Looking at the manual, it sez you hafta remove the exhaust and transmission mount to let the tranny down a little to remove the shifter rods. Any way to do this a bit easier?

GM Parts direct has a new shifter for $200. I doubt one is available locally here in Greece - thankfully, I've never had to visit the Cadillac dealer here in Athens. All advice welcome!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I haven't done one on a V6, the V8 shifters are easy to do but you do have to remove the exhaust and lower the transmission.
It sounds like the shift handle is broken.
Did you try lifting straight up? If it comes loose it is probably broken underneath.
I have seen a few snap in two.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ewill3rd!

It doesn't lift straight up, but it seems like the detents in the shifter are pretty much gone. The 1-2 shift has a bit of a curve to the right going into second. The front/aft detents seem to be there, although not as pronounced as they were. You can move the shifter right/left a fair amount in any gear whereas before this happened the whole thing was pretty crisp and tight. Not sure what all is inside that shifter assemble - detents, springs, gates, etc?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,818 Posts
There is a lesson to be learned here. No more allowing buddies, pals, friends, mates, family members, or b/f or g/fs to borrow the Cadillac. Lol

KOT

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I haven't done one on a V6, the V8 shifters are easy to do but you do have to remove the exhaust and lower the transmission.
not to question you, but V guys have been replacing shifters for a while without lowering the trans. Of course, all of them cursed about it, and some had shredded knuckles to show for it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not aware of a short shifter for the Aisin. The stock shifter is pretty notchy and could definitely stand improvement - anyone have a source for a short shifter?

I really gotta give Caddy props for having a manual available. It wasn't easy finding this car (bought it used in the US) and it's obvious that most opted for the slushbox. Here in Europe though it's the other way around, although 'matics are becoming incrementally more popular.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
112 Posts
I'm currently going through the same issues. One of the two bushings broke and I lost reverse.
My temporary solution was $4.24 from Autozone and took about 4 hours (trial & error) without dropping the exhaust or lowering the trans. Just gotta have a lot patience and small hands! I can get it in and out in 30 minutes now not including jacking the car up.
The plus side is that it was a cheap, temporary fix but the downside is that I have to leave the shifter boot and trim off because the rubber replacement I used is softer than the factory bushings and still has a bit more play than I would like and it needs the extra space to move from having the boot off.
Now tonight or tomorrow I am gonna work and making a new set of bushings from some universal urethane pieces I bought last night or I am gonna have a local company turn some out or brass.
I'll try and keep you guys posted on what works and maybe I can have some extras made to help out because I know that no one wants to pay GM $450 for a new shifter assembly!
The parts I used from Autozone were part of the "help" brand section. They are PCV grommets for a Toyota that I trimmed to fit and reinforced with fender washers. You can find them on their website: part# 42058.
You can try this fix if you like but it is not a 100% fix, that's why I am gonna work on the other types.
~Tony

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
112 Posts
Problem solved!
I had to share my excitement!
Cost was under $14.00 and the shift feel is excellent and now I can back it out of the garage once I'm done changing the diff fluid and rotating the tires.
Figured I'd do some other maintenance while it was off the ground.
I took a lot of photos and a few measurements so I'll post up a write soon.
Back to work...
~Tony

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved!
Cost was under $14.00 and the shift feel is excellent and now I can back it out of the garage once I'm done changing the diff fluid and rotating the tires.
Back to work...
~Tony
Looking forward to it!! I'm relegated to driving my POS Land Rover Discovery while the CTS languishes in the garage. No A/C in the Land Rover, and 15 mpg vs 30 in the CTS - at almost $11/gal here, that adds up quickly :bigroll:

·
Registered
2005 3.6L AY6 stock
34 Posts
I don't have this problem yet, but I'm really interested in the write-up.

Do you think the 14.00 fix feels better than stock?

Problem solved!
Back to work...
~Tony

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
112 Posts
I'm still getting the how-to together. Should be up by this weekend. But, for a quick response without a lot of detail I used some generic sway bar end bushings made by Energy Suspension and available at Auto Zone and most likely other places. Cost was $14 for 8 so you'll end up with some extras. Only one of mine was broken but I made/replaced both of them.
The third pic shows the new unmodified bushing, the factory bushing then the newly made bushing.
And as for the feel: it is night and day difference of how it was. But, also I bought the car with 50k miles on it so it was progressively getting "sloppier". This definitely tightened it up.

Hope this helps, I'll try to get the write up done soon!

~Tony
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311828880.887392.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311828700.921651.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311828727.471639.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I chose to awaken this thread since I have went and bought some bushings and was told to check if my shifter is loose vertically. well it is. it is very loose vertically, and every other way. Luckily after pulling the boot off i can reverse but is there a shifter I can replace mine with that's not the 650 1 yr warranty oem part? actually they said there's not even 1 nation wide so I can't even buy a 650$ oem.
(2006 cts 3.6l 6spd)
I have spoke with creative steel, I ordered my bushings through them, and they say they have one that may work but not meant for the cts..
the difference is the shifter doesn't sit in the mv1 transmission instead its solid to the frame of the car right?... I just want a tight shifter under 500!! or under 400 maybe

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
What bushings did you order from Creative Steel? Have you actually disassembled anything yet to see what's bad?

I have a shift lever from a manual V6 sitting in my garage. I haven't had a stock shifter on my V in a long, long time, but to the best of my recollection, the V6 shift lever is exactly the same as the V shift lever. I think the difference is just in the linkage that connects the bottom of the shift lever to the transmission.

This is a poor picture, but the CS bushings that go on the shifter rails where the arrows are pointing will make a huge difference.

Another source of play is the plastic bushing thing that surrounds the ball on the shift lever. Unfortunately, I don't know of any fix for the play that develops there, unless you replace the entire thing (like with CS's shifter). This is a video I shot to show how loose it can get:

I actually took the plastic bushing off the V6 shifter to install it on my V's shifter, because the V6 one was a bit tighter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm out of town ATM, but I'm told the t56 which is in the V. The shifter goes straight into the trans. While the 3.6 6spd is attached to the frame and has another rod that goes to the trans. I will be home Monday, is it easy to take it apart and will it go back together while I wait for parts?
I bought the 2" x1" poly bushings that have a slit down them. Sorry don't know what they are at this time.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,296 Posts
I'm out of town ATM, but I'm told the t56 which is in the V. The shifter goes straight into the trans.
Whoever told you that has never worked on one. :p The V has a remote shifter just the like the V6. You can go in the CTS-V forum and look at the shifter bushing install threads, you'll find they look just like what you're going to see when you start to pull yours apart.

I said I thought the V6 lever I've got looks the same as my original, stock V lever, and it seems like the parts catalog indicates I'm right. I'm kind of surprised I've never checked this before, but the shifter assembly is the same part # for the V and V6 - 15276075. If you look at the two diagrams, the difference is in the transmission end of the shift linkage.

T56 - 2005 Cadillac CTS V SHIFT CONTROLS/MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Aisin AY6 - 2005 Cadillac CTS V SHIFT CONTROLS/MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I will be home Monday, is it easy to take it apart and will it go back together while I wait for parts?
I bought the 2" x1" poly bushings that have a slit down them. Sorry don't know what they are at this time.
Working on the shifter is a bit of a pain in the ass. To get the complete assembly out you really have to get under the car. But you'd only need to do that if you bought the bronze & stainless steel linkage bushings (on this page) or the Delrin support rod bushings (on this page). [Note that the bronze shifter connector linkage will not work on the Aisin because the connection to the transmission is different.]

Sounds like you bought just the poly support rod bushings, the ones with the yellow arrows in my last post. You can replace those from above, without having to remove everything. It's still going to be a bit of a pain in the ass, though. :) Be forewarned that the edges of the plastic of the center console can be sharp - I was worried about cutting myself on the metal lip of the tranny tunnel, and instead it was the damn console that got me!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts