Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For reasons that I will get into later, i need to know how much "throw" your clutch pedal has. from fully disengaged to completely to the floor. what is the distance?

Also, when your clutch is completely disengaged, what is the position of the clutch pedal compared to the brake? is it even with the brake pedal? by even, i mean they are both the same distance from the the floor where the clutch touches when fully engaged.

if any of you would like to help a brother out, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

also, i may be using engaged and disengaged in the reverse, but you guys know what i mean... i hope. i just need some help...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
For reasons that I will get into later, i need to know how much "throw" your clutch pedal has. from fully disengaged to completely to the floor. what is the distance?

Also, when your clutch is completely disengaged, what is the position of the clutch pedal compared to the brake? is it even with the brake pedal? by even, i mean they are both the same distance from the the floor where the clutch touches when fully engaged.

if any of you would like to help a brother out, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

also, i may be using engaged and disengaged in the reverse, but you guys know what i mean... i hope. i just need some help...
Not sure if this will be of any help, but the brake and clutch pedals on my car are pretty well on the same level or plane. If there is a difference, it's negligible... they feel as if they are level with each other. The pics may actually be a bit misleading.
Sorry about the quality, but it was pretty difficult to hold the phone steady.

Elie

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Mine are even as well. It feels like the clutch pedal has about 1" of "play" in int before it starts to disengage. Any where past that inch, I can shift to the next gear. Personally this clutch feels very different than any other manual car I've driven...especially my Z06's. It feels like the clutch doesn't disengage until pedal is to floor, but that is not the case in reality.
Hope that information is helpful.

Mark

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you all are so awesome. thank you so much...

my clutch was replaced.

the pedal is about 2 inches closer to the floor than the brake. with my foot on the clutch and not pushing it in, my foot can fit behind (or at least beside) the brake pedal. the tech told me it was right and that there is no adjustment to the pedal. i took him to a 6mt coupe on the lot and said there was no way it was right and that it was unbelievably different than when i took it in.

my car is so effed up right now it isnt funny and can imagine this only gets worse. the guys at my dealer have no effing idea what they are doing. i should have just lived with the shudder.

Im so pissed off.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear bro.

Pics?
i wouldnt take the car. i told them to keep it until it was perfect or that they would be buying it from me.

they called me to tell me it was ready and i went to get it and it was not. they broke my shift knob when they were taking it apart and had to put a new one on. they DESTROYED the black obsidian piece around the shifter (which i had wrapped in satin black) by prying it out with a flat head or something and further by laying some sort of jagged shit all over it... that was all bad, but then none of the radio or a/c worked.

unreal.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the funniest part of this is that i went around to the dealers lot to see if they had any 6Mt to see and feel the clutch... they had 1, a coupe. of course i was immediately accosted by some guy and i told him what i wanted to do... he was nice and said no problem and that he would go get the keys... TEN MINUTES later, he comes out and unlocks the car. I got in and pushed the clutch to compare it to a new one and immediately felt a HUGE difference. I asked the sales guy for the key so i could start it. he says, "uhm, yeah, ok... but you cant drive it... the entire time I was inside i was trying to convince the manager to let me have the keys". i told him again that i didnt want to drive it. it quickly reminded me of why i dont like american car dealers. i could walk into the bmw or porsche dealer and they'd give me the key to anything they have with nothing more than MAYBE copying my license...

such a joke. the new standard of the world? wtfe.

·
Registered
<-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(
1,172 Posts
Wow dude. Need to go to another dealer. I'd call Cadillac, report it, see if they can't do something for you.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow dude. Need to go to another dealer. I'd call Cadillac, report it, see if they can't do something for you.
im going to see what monday holds and do just that.

they wont let me touch their new V's but they act like mine is a base CTS. Guy walked up to the car when i pulled it in the service bay the first time and laid a clipboard on the hood to write down the VIN.

morons.

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Yikes...
get to another dealer ASAP. I would have left the minute the clipboard was placed on the car (after berating the guy).

Mark

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,561 Posts
This is almost unbelievable! Get away from these idiots.

Paul

·
Registered
13 6MN Vagon OBM
295 Posts
Guy walked up to the car when i pulled it in the service bay the first time and laid a clipboard on the hood to write down the VIN.
Dude, I am SO sorry you're dealing with this!! I know the clipboard isn't your biggest problem, but when I read this I simply puckered! Boardmember MReilland had a GM hotline for off-the-charts customer experiences, and I'm afraid that yours qualifies. Perhaps you could PM him. I recall a recent post by another member that had a horrendous dealer experience rectified by another competent dealer.

I was a new BMW owner for 17 years, and have noticed a difference at times (even my early BMW dealer experience wasn't quite world class). I can tell you that my current Cadillac dealer offers on-par customer experience with what I left--a top-tier BMW dealer that consistently earned BMWNA's highest awards for c/s. There is hope! Hope you get this resolved fully and quickly.

-Dave

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive already talked to member mreilland... in fact, he contacted me when i first reported issue with my clutch on this board.

i think i may just go get the car on monday and try to find another dealer that can work on these cars.

another thought, and i've posed this to mreilland, is to see if there is anyway to have a GM tech come to look at the car and supervise the repair.

im still really angry... this has certainly cast a dark cloud over my weekend. i had big plans for the car. a nice bath and waxing and some nice time behind the wheel with the first decent temps we've seen all winter and a fully functioning clutch.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
539 Posts
they broke my shift knob when they were taking it apart and had to put a new one on. they DESTROYED the black obsidian piece around the shifter (which i had wrapped in satin black) by prying it out with a flat head or something and further by laying some sort of jagged shit all over it... that was all bad, but then none of the radio or a/c worked.
unreal.
Typical!!!!

Dude, I told you in your 'shudder' thread they would mess it up...

I'd pull everything off the list except for the oil change and diff check. Have someone take a drive in the car, with you in it, to check the clutch action. I'm guessing they'll say normal. If necessary, they can peek at the clutch through an inspection window. It will tell them nothing though. Don't trust the dealer to do anything!!!! If someone out there has a dealer can actually be trusted to do ANY of this stuff, then you have a way better dealer I've ever encountered with any marque.
You need to switch dealers, although a new one probably won't do much better. The clutch and the brake should be roughly even. It sounds like the hydraulic system is full of air or the installation is wrong. They probably put the throwout in backwards...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
When I showed up to the dealer I had no intention of buying my wife's new car, I just wanted to drive it. It didn't take 5 minutes and we were out flogging the crap out of it...which ultimately led me to buy it (that and the 5500 under supplier price). Every dealer is different, find one that will treat you better.

Joe

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I showed up to the dealer I had no intention of buying my wife's new car, I just wanted to drive it. It didn't take 5 minutes and we were out flogging the crap out of it...which ultimately led me to buy it (that and the 5500 under supplier price). Every dealer is different, find one that will treat you better.

Joe
i think i have... its called every bmw dealership.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
Eh...My Porsche dealer is also my BMW dealer, and while YES, I agree they treat you more professionally, the dealership is nicer, the purchasing process is quicker (not much compared to my V), sometimes they also treat you as if you are an idiot and that everything they sell is the best, and that their shit doesn't stink...it's one of those things....

My Porsche had a noise at speed, something "flapping" or something. It turned out to be a piece of the skid plate under the car (the entire care has plastic sheeting under it) had come loose and was literally flapping. They spent 2 days arguing, almost literally, that it was the non-porsche approved tires I had installed, first it was the rear, then the front, then they were "flat spotted", then feathered, then anything else they could come up with to say that it was the one single part I had installed not from them...it was ridiculous.

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts