Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you have been toying with the no-lift shift option? I thought I would have heard more about it. Especially the 1/4 mile guys. It must be a hoot rowing through all the gears while keeping your foot firmly planted! I wonder if it gets loose when traction is off.

·
Registered
None
143 Posts
I was just wondering how many of you have been toying with the no-lift shift option? I thought I would have heard more about it. Especially the 1/4 mile guys. It must be a hoot rowing through all the gears while keeping your foot firmly planted! I wonder if it gets loose when traction is off.
There's too much power to do a no lift 1-2 shift, but you could possibly do a 2-3, and definitely a 3-4.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have any of you guys tried or do you just feel it could get real bad if you did? Anyone try it on the 1/4?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
forget 2-3 also. You'd only get traction on a 3-4 and above
....and thats gotta be around 100 mph. Wouldn't want it getting squirrely at that speed. Although, "whats his name" did it at Monticello and it sounded sick. It was a 3-4 shift for sure. It looked like quite the time saver.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
I have done this 2-3 and 3-4 and didnt really notice anything different from other manuals I have owned. I guess it all happens so quik its hard to notice. I did a W.O.T. downshift passing someone from 6-3 and spun to 4th, I thought the wifes eyes were gonna pop out of her head.

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
I have done this 2-3 and 3-4 and didnt really notice anything different from other manuals I have owned. I guess it all happens so quik its hard to notice. I did a W.O.T. downshift passing someone from 6-3 and spun to 4th, I thought the wifes eyes were gonna pop out of her head.
LOL on the wife's eyes thing. Mine tries to put her feet through the passenger side floor board while putting her seat in full recline without using the buttons. It's kinda funny watching her do that. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing. I've always thought it was normal not comin' off the throttle while comp shifing in full scat mode. When I think back to my old Muncie M22 Rock Crusher days, that's the way I used to do it. Never tried it in the V though,... too scared!

·
Registered
Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!
405 Posts
I know you are supposed to be able to do it, but.............at the moment of truth I think I would bail
and just lift for an instant. Too many bad things can happen (at least in the old days) if you miss
a shift. I know its a mind set, and I'll work on it - if my car ever gets built!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Are you guys saying that You Use the clutch and shift without lifting your foot off the gas? Not shifting with out lifting the clutch right? shifting without the clutch and make some serious burger meat

·
Registered
'09 Sedan Black Raven M6; '14 Sedan Phantom Gray A6 Graphite
315 Posts
Shifting while keeping your right foot buried is not new stuff guys. It was S.O.P. before Mopar's Torque Flight gained dominance at the strip. 'Clutch Tap', where the clutch is lightly and quickly engaged just at the precise moment when shifting) was also pretty much standard fare. These were 1/4 mile moves just as important to good times, just as much as good heel-toe coordination is today. But I still ain't gonna try it,... just to scared!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Shifting while keeping your right foot buried is not new stuff guys. It was S.O.P. before Mopar's Torque Flight gained dominance at the strip. 'Clutch Tap', where the clutch is lightly and quickly engaged just at the precise moment when shifting) was also pretty much standard fare. These were 1/4 mile moves just as important to good times, just as much as good heel-toe coordination is today. But I still ain't gonna try it,... just to scared!
Yes, but keeping your right foot planted while shifting without power loss or the possibility of breaking valve springs is "new."

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on. Someone do it. I wish we could still pull up Andy Pilgrim doing it at monticello. Cadillacdrivinlabs.com is off the air. I wish I could have somehow recorded my lap. I just forgot about it and will be kickin' myself untill I can get a 2009.

·
Registered
Cadillac
73 Posts
Tried it once from 3rd to 4th. With this car it is not useful as it put a lot of strain on drive train.
Hey guys it still is a CADDY !!!!!!!!!!!!! Luxo

Lovin this car so I will try to keep it as nice as I can
Buzz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts