Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
Well thats just dumb. Sorry. The emergency handle is painted red on the floor near the door. What did he think it was? Really sad he didnt at least read the handle and try it. Is this a fake story?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
What an awful way to go. Reminds me of those stories of people dying from carbon monoxide poisoning because they didn't realize their car was still running in the garage.

About two months ago, as I was coming out of the post office, I was startled by an elderly woman parked beside my car scratching at the inside of the drivers side window. She was in a panic and screaming for help because the electric locks on her Toyota wouldn't work and her car had died. In her frightened state she had forgotten how to unlock the door manually!

I told her how to unlock the door, and once she opened the door, I stayed and talked with her until she was calm.

As strange as it seems, sometimes people just panic in the moment and can't think straight.

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
If it was a coupe he could have removed the top. From the picture it looks like it was either a Grand Sport or Z06 and was most likely a Z06 since the GS also has a removable roof. Very sad that people don't take the time to read the owner's manual.

I am going tomorrow to try to purchase a '12 Grand Sport Centennial convertible; it will be my 3rd Vette. I seriously debated a CTS-V coupe but in the end decided the Vette suits my "wants" better.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Why didn't he just kick out the glass and jump out? If you're gonna die, why not at least try?
Panic. Think about the people who drown in lakes/ponds because they didn't break out a window or open the door when pressure inside equalized.

----------

Not GM's fault.
You're right, but GM will settle quietly if the family sues.

·
Registered
13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
244 Posts
If he forgot his cell phone in the waffle house and couldn't remember how to get out of the car both at about the same time he might of been having some brain function problems.

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
everyone is blaming the driver here, or gm but its Onstar that is at fault in my opinion. Onstar should be on a backup battery. Batteries are so cheap the system cant use that much in standby, its 100% ludicrous a feature created around safety, advertises where will your cell phone be moments after an accident, is rendered useless in this situation. Yes he could have opened his manual and found the lever but when your in a panic common sense is not so common.

Terrible accident what happened.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
How tragic. This is why you RTFM for your car. At worst, you break your window yourself.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
I can't say enough about having and reading the owner's manual. Most cars today are a rolling computer and there is a lot to know about them. I bought my 05 V used and there was no manual with it. I quickly learned there is so much about this car and most of it I didn't know. I downloaded an e-copy and I found on ebay the four book set with the leather pouch for $20 to keep in the car. Came in handy more times than I can count. And I find out a lot of good stuff here too.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V wagon
500 Posts
But if onstar had a separate battery, would have it been good? The car was a few years old and batteries do not last forever. So now the owner is going to have to remember to change the onstar battery. Given the guy did not know about the emergency release, I doubt he would be smart enough to keep a small battery located ? that doesn't do anything 99.99999% of the time. I know people that buy cars with the check engine light on, that drive a car with the TPMS on, drive on bald tires etc. You just can't fix stupid at some point.
everyone is blaming the driver here, or gm but its Onstar that is at fault in my opinion. Onstar should be on a backup battery. Batteries are so cheap the system cant use that much in standby, its 100% ludicrous a feature created around safety, advertises where will your cell phone be moments after an accident, is rendered useless in this situation. Yes he could have opened his manual and found the lever but when your in a panic common sense is not so common.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts

Onstar at fault? Really? That is what is wrong with todays people today. Always trying to find fault except in themselves. We all need to understand that responsibility for your self can be applied in all situations. Come on people. Blow your own nose and wipe your own ass. Please! Stop being a victim. When adversity comes your way you need be able overcome. Success in life demands it. Stop looking for something to blame and fix yourself. Onstar? Really? Wow!

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07
285 Posts
No way GM is at fault unless it could be proven that the door release mechanism is defective. No quiet settlement necessary.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
They are simple mechanical pull releases, and there's one on each side (driver/passenger), so doubt that's it.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Onstar at fault? Really? That is what is wrong with todays people today. Always trying to find fault except in themselves. We all need to understand that responsibility for your self can be applied in all situations. Come on people. Blow your own nose and wipe your own ass. Please! Stop being a victim. When adversity comes your way you need be able overcome. Success in life demands it. Stop looking for something to blame and fix yourself. Onstar? Really? Wow!
I couldn't agree more! Well said!

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
It's a tragedy, but it's not a defective design and it's not GM's fault. The man died because he wasn't familiar with how to operate his dream car in emergency situations.

That doesn't make him stupid, just a little unprepared for a contingency that ended up costing his life.

BTW, his car wasn't a Z06 -- no air inlet atop the nose and no rear brake duct -- so he could have popped the top. I'm guessing he became mentally disoriented or passed out before he realized what a deadly predicament he was in, or he just panicked.

BTW, if the CTS wagon's battery is dead, you can't unlatch the liftgate.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts