Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently power was lost and the owner didn't know about the override and didn't have his cell phone.

Sad but it amazes me how many people don't know about their vehicles.

Waiting for the lawsuit on this one. How quick before this feature disappears from the Corvettes. I don't believe the ATS-V uses the same system from the Corvettes and V-Coupes.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/nati...ette/71053474/

·
Registered
'12 CTS 3.6, '06 Corvette
39 Posts
The over ride is a mechanical lever. In my 2006 vette seated in the drivers seat you let your left arm hang down to the floorboard, go forward 6-8 inches and pull the lever to release the door lock. very easy.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
Yea, this was one of the first things that I worried when I was considering my 2011 CTS coupe. Some members on here were nice enough to tell me that there is a mechanical lever in case of an emergency. You just gotta read the manual. I used to tell my passengers about this feature, when they get into my car the first time.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I used to tell my passengers about this feature, when they get into my car the first time.
Smart. At a local car show, I had to show a kid "trapped" in a C7 where the lever was. His mom was about to pull him out through the window.

gohawks63 said:
I don't believe the ATS-V uses the same system from the Corvettes and V-Coupes.
Correct. ATS V coupe uses old fashioned door handles inside/out.

·
Premium Member
'11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package
1,547 Posts
The report on the news last night said the poor old guy was frantically reading his owner's manual when he died. Moral of the story is to always read the manual, cover to cover, when you get a new car.

As for kicking out the window, check this video: http://bit.ly/1B85DSH

Best to have one of these in the car: http://amzn.to/1B85K0w

----------

Here's a video of a news report of the incident: http://bcove.me/9lm4kkk2

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
Hard to believe this happened in front of a Waffle House and no one could get him out in time. I could understand if he was in a remote location. Just baffling....

Shakey

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Hard to believe this happened in front of a Waffle House and no one could get him out in time. I could understand if he was in a remote location. Just baffling....

Shakey
Well, among other things, the horn didn't work. I suppose that with the windows all closed, it would have been be hard for anyone to hear him shout, and if the windows were tinted, it would have been hard to see him gesturing, especially if he had parked away from other cars.

It occurred to me that if his car had been equipped with keyless entry, this might not have happened as he might not have been able to get into the car due to the drained battery.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
When i picked up my 14 Coupe, the salesperson didn't know what the levers next to the doors on the floor of the drivers side and passenger side were for, now that's a sad statement. They work easy enough, but you have to know they are there and what they are for. Of course he also didn't know how to fold down the rear seat.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,597 Posts
SMH...how can this happen? Did they change the manual handle location in our coupes thru the years. Every time I get in and out of my car, I see the handle...every time I vacuum, I see the handles :confused:

·
Registered
none
12 Posts
Is this the same on CTS sedans? I know it has a level, but like the coupe uses an electric motor to operate the latch on the front doors.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Why were several posts removed from this thread? Too critical of GM? I posted this morning suggesting that if GM wasn't so cheap and was more concerned about safety they would include inexpensive rechargeable battery backups for the electronically controlled locks in these cars, but it's been removed without notice.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
SMH...how can this happen? Did they change the manual handle location in our coupes thru the years. Every time I get in and out of my car, I see the handle...every time I vacuum, I see the handles :confused:
Nope. The man didn't know his car. He panicked. He died senselessly. Sad, but true.

This same thread is being discussed in the V forum. I posted this pic as an example for those not familiar with Corvettes. The XLR and CTS/V coupes are the same.

View attachment 309425

1 - 20 of 22 Posts