Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 3.6L, are there any under the hood/intakes or muffler/exhaust upgrades I can purchase that'll give the car more vroom?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
1. Get engine up to normal operating temp.
2. Pour about a gallon of ice water on exhaust manifold.
3. You will hear your car about a mile away.
4. Slight problem: r/r exhaust manifold is not cheap.

lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
K&N/volant intakes. Corsa or no exhaust. Tons of stuff here...run a few searches. This forum is nuts...people switch out LED colors for fun!

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How different would the car sound if I just install an intake vs. if I just install a new muffler? And can I just install Corsa mufflers and keep the catback and all the other stock pipes?

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Man. I put the K&N cold air on my 06' 3.6. It sounds really awesome. The intake is pretty loud at all ranges but there's a deffinate growl under the hood around 2,500-4,000RPM at all throttle positions (you can hear the air getting sucked in...ROOOOOMMMM). And then it will die down a little. At full throttle to red-line...it's just crazy noizy. I'll get the wife to stand out side shooting a vidoe while i fly be her if you'd like.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
For the most loudness go for new mufflers or straight pipes.
The intake just adds sound to the engine bay.

The mufflers will add more a rumble to the rear.
And you can just replace the mufflers and the leave the cats in place.

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
CAI or muffler mod was one of the first things i considered for the CTS, but i reeeeeeally didn't want my elegant Cadillac to come out sounding ricey in any way. i suppose it's harder to f up with a V6, i'm just so used to people modding up their inlines and making them sound like wind-up toys.

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If I had the choice, I'd most likely change the muffler instead of adding an CAI since adding CAI will void pretty much all parts of the warranty I have.

For the most loudness go for new mufflers or straight pipes.
The intake just adds sound to the engine bay.

The mufflers will add more a rumble to the rear.
And you can just replace the mufflers and the leave the cats in place.
Is it possible to buy just the Corsa dual exhaust/dual tip mufflers or do I have to get the whole exhaust system?

CAI or muffler mod was one of the first things i considered for the CTS, but i reeeeeeally didn't want my elegant Cadillac to come out sounding ricey in any way. i suppose it's harder to f up with a V6, i'm just so used to people modding up their inlines and making them sound like wind-up toys.
I hear ya, I'm trying to stay away from that Civic/Impreza squeak toy sound. I want an American muscle sound.

·
Registered
2004 CTS
239 Posts
Actually, it's pretty tricky to get the muscle-car sound out of a six; they can sound just as ricey as any 4-banger. Sound-wise, our engines are closer to a 350Z's than they are to a Mustang or Corvette's.

·
Registered
05 3.6 auto,sport package,navigation
127 Posts
Remove the stock briefcase mufflers and go with straight pipes. it's cheap and sounds great. drones a little up hills but worth it if you have a lead foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
straight pipes might be a little raspy but yes they will make the car louder.

the corsa exhaust is in my humble opinion way over priced for what it gives you. (by the way, the corsa comes as a full bolt on from behind the cars all the way out, no way to just get the mufflers and tips)
It would be cheaper to go to a local shop and have a custom exhaust done.

You may want to look at dynomax mufflers, either the ultraflo or super turbo.
I had stainless super turbo's on my 97 grand prix gtp (supercharged v-6) they gave it a nice deep rumble, no drone at highway speeds (something you want to avoid) and really had a voice when you stomped the gas.

check youtube for sound clips.
when listening, listen "past" the sound. its hard to explain, but try to take into account that the microphone on most cameras really can not capture the low end rumble of a good exhaust.

here is the dynomax ultra flows on a v-6 mustang.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an 03 cts 3.2l With a K&N cold air intake and a borla dual exhaust system.

And the car growls:devil:

There are some videos around here somewhere Ill see if I can find them

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
I put a borla dual exaust on mine and everybody thinks its a V8 under my hood after a couple of months a they got broke in and really has a great sound now

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember reading on this forum that you can't put Borla with 3.6L V6?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
show us were it says you cant put a borla with a 3.6L? provide the link from this forum

1 - 20 of 25 Posts