Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
06 sts-v
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So call it ghetto but has anybody tried to make the y pipe for air intake from pvc pipe?maybe hVe it wrapped or hydro dipped afterwards make it look good. figured y pipe wouldn't be to hard make and use spectre parts in front of y pipe. Just trying to think of a way to keep iat temps down little better.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
So call it ghetto but has anybody tried to make the y pipe for air intake from pvc pipe?maybe hVe it wrapped or hydro dipped afterwards make it look good. figured y pipe wouldn't be to hard make and use spectre parts in front of y pipe. Just trying to think of a way to keep iat temps down little better.
Why bother when you can buy one for $250.00?

----------

You'd be better off buying the Spectre, and designing a truly sealed-off air box around the filter to seal out the engine heat. Build one nice enough, and you could sell it on here!

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
The Issue with PVC is that it can get brittle with heat. Plus you are very limited in bends and the seams internally will not make for smooth airflow. Smooth curves and radiuses are as important as diameter. Your 3" tubing setup could flow less than a smooth curve 2" custom unit..

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,413 Posts
Invest in a ScanGauge-II or an UltraGauge so you can monitor IAT before and after your "CAI" work ......... You might be very disappointed.

This usually works pretty well ...............

Attachments

·
Registered
06 sts-v
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea idk what I was thinking forgot about the bend in the front would look a little ghetto lol may try just wrapping the piping

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Rboughne1 said:
Why bother when you can buy one for $250.00? ---------- You'd be better off buying the Spectre, and designing a truly sealed-off air box around the filter to seal out the engine heat. Build one nice enough, and you could sell it on here!
I was gonna bolt a piece of plexiglass across the top of the filter to try and help with engine heat, think that would actually help

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
I have a ramair ducting pipe on my car and a box around the filter. At 65+ mph I get a big drop in iat2 temps.

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
I think ghetto would be an understatement...

MAD, where did you run the duct from, the brake duct?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Corner of the lower grill. But you could use the brake ducting. That's how the CAI on my Ctsv works it's ducted off the brake cooling duct.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You guys need the look up some old threads I shore I have picks up some where in there of my old setup. Not for show but worked well for $20 and the go.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
Read that too. It seems pointless if you cannot seal off the air filter completely from the engine compartment with an aluminum box, with the box's intake at the bottom/front behind/under the headlight. Then, you'll need a bigger diameter plastic intake duct than offered to feed your newly constructed air box.

That same guy did a comparison of flow rate between the Spectre filter and the K&N filter. Results were that at high RPM performance suffered bc the filters restricted the airflow necessary to run the engine. Filter size, as you're probably aware, is limited when running the Spectre stage 1&2 intake bc of the angle at which it intersects behind the headlight.

I wonder if TimmyC's intake runs a filter with larger surface area, as filter width & length isn't restricted bc of the different angle in which his pipe approaches the headlight.

----------

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=42722

Check out the equation 1/2 way down about filter com in relation to engine rpm...

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Interesting idea, big concern for me and anyone else living where there is inclement weather is that it will blow moisture right onto your air filter which is no good. better to turn that part at an angle so the moisture condenses on something away from the filter. That is why most airbox/filter boxes have inlet/outlet 90* of from each other.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts