Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to purchase the new 2008 CTS but noticed a problem already with the vehicle. I have test driven several new 2008 CTS's and they all exhibit a major and detectable shimmy when driven on the freeway in speeds over 58mph. I have spoken to a dealer about it and they are trying to figure out what's wrong with the vehicles. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem. It's definitely something you will notice when driving on the freeway and I know it's not coming from the road. I have a new BMW and test drove my vehicle in the same area I drove the new CTS and my vehicle exibited no shimmy at the same speed or shake on the freeway. Please let me know if you are having the same problems. I hope GM gets this handled. I have never owned a GM product and am getting a little leary about buying the new CTS. I might stay with imports. Please advice.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
129 Posts
I've driven two different cars well above 58 mph--one with the summer tire package and one with the all-season tire package--without any shimmy.

·
Registered
CTS 2008,SRX 2011 awd perfmc & 2011 CTS awd Coupe
38 Posts
No shimmy.:worship: Got mine and drove at speed of 120 to 150 kilo/hr (canada). Very stable. Nice ride compare to my 2005 and 2004 cts. Very quiet, and dont even notice i'm overspeeding at one point. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
I had the opportunity to open mine up over the weekend. Anywhere from 80 to 115. I couldnt believe how rock solid it was at the highest speeds. I've never driven a car this precise and firm at these higher speeds. There was definitely now shake or shimmy!

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
We have had 2 at our dealer with a shimmy and the wheel balance was off 1/4 - 1/2 oz on each wheel. A computer balance corrected it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am glad someone was honest from a dealership and admitted that they had a couple of new CTS with a shimmy issue. From what I heard GM is looking into it to see if it's eminating from the wheel or tire. Both are being checked out. The Michelin tires were designed for the new CTS. I will keep you posted. Otherwise, I think the car is amazing if not for this slight mishap.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
stop shaking the wheel at 53 and it wont shimmy lol j/k I have heard nothing but good thinks about the 08 ... cant wait till my lease it up on my 05 in april....... by that time accesories like the grill should be out!!!! good luck with your 08 everyone cant wait to see what you have to say as the months go on....

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
I am wanting to purchase the new 2008 CTS but noticed a problem already with the vehicle. I have test driven several new 2008 CTS's and they all exhibit a major and detectable shimmy when driven on the freeway in speeds over 58mph. I have a new BMW and test drove my vehicle in the same area I drove the new CTS and my vehicle exibited no shimmy at the same speed or shake on the freeway.
If you have a new BMW, why are you test driving or looking to buy the CTS? You have your new car already. And the shimmy is over "58" MPH. I thought the shimmy was supposed to be over 57 MPH. Also, I never "test drove" a car on the freeway. All my test drives have been designated to local roads around the dealership doing 35 MPH.

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
We have had 2 at our dealer with a shimmy and the wheel balance was off 1/4 - 1/2 oz on each wheel. A computer balance corrected it.
If the BMW's wheels are out of balance, it will have driveability issues. For that matter, any car will. What does wheel balancing have to do with the quality of the car itself?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts