Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '04 CTS with the 3.6 L engine and currently has 53,000 miles. I have had small engine oil leaks / coolant leaks in the past, but nothing like what I saw today:

This has been leaking for at least an hour now and is not stopping. Any ideas of what the large metal housing / covering is ... where the four drops of oil? is comming from?

X

·
0 Posts
It looks to me like coolant for the most part... notice the pinkish tones on the last pic.
The exact same thing happened to me recently. It was the water pump. These pictures actually look exactly like the ones I posted here a few months back.. exact same location.

I had no leaks whatsoever, then BAM... i checked my car in the morning and had a river of coolant coming out.

I'd bet anything you need a new waterpump.
Good luck!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
I would agree with catch. Though I haven't had this problem and I hope that I won't, sorry fellas. I can see the pinkness in the drops, and since the water pump is under the timining cover, it would make sense on why you think it's an oil leak.

Here's a simple test, and hopefully you've done it already before this problem so you have something to compare to. Squeeze on the water hose above the engine, does it sound empty? Or can you hear at least some water in there as it should?

KOT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the oil pan, and it turned out to be coolant instead. Is the water pump easy to replace or should I take it in to the dealer?

X

·
0 Posts
I think it's pretty tough to access. It was beyond my ability, and my mechanically inclined friend was not eager to tackle it... so I brought it to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts