Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Platinum (soon), 2013 Nissan GTR E85 (sold)
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015i Platinum ESV with about 1690 miles. My wife drives the Escalade normally but decided to take it out to work yesterday. I was coming back from dinner and there is a straightaway just before I have to turn into the neighborhood. I decided to floor this bad boy and see what kind of power it can make since I almost never drive the thing. I punch it beyond the knockdown point and it has great power and got it up to about 45 mph from a dead stop. All of a sudden the vehicle decelerates quite violently but just as I was about to turn into the neighborhood. I said to myself that if this car wasn't new I would have thought something broke.

I coast into the neighborhood and brake at one of the roundabouts and press the gas once I'm through it but the engine only revs but doesn't actually accelerate as though it were in neutral. Again, more gas results in revving but no actually movement. Fortunately I have enough momentum to creep just right up to my driveway and make it half way up it realizing that without ability to accelerate I can't beat gravity with that little momentum. So I decide to park in the street and place the vehicle in reverse.

Pressing the gas while in reverse causes the car to go forward. Pressing the gas in drive causes the car to go forward.

It appears to be some sort of transmission internal failure. I also was making a pretty bad smell as well.

I have to have the car towed now to the dealer for warranty repair.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
So I have a 2015i Platinum ESV with about 1690 miles. My wife drives the Escalade normally but decided to take it out to work yesterday. I was coming back from dinner and there is a straightaway just before I have to turn into the neighborhood. I decided to floor this bad boy and see what kind of power it can make since I almost never drive the thing. I punch it beyond the knockdown point and it has great power and got it up to about 45 mph from a dead stop. All of a sudden the vehicle decelerates quite violently but just as I was about to turn into the neighborhood. I said to myself that if this car wasn't new I would have thought something broke.

I coast into the neighborhood and brake at one of the roundabouts and press the gas once I'm through it but the engine only revs but doesn't actually accelerate as though it were in neutral. Again, more gas results in revving but no actually movement. Fortunately I have enough momentum to creep just right up to my driveway and make it half way up it realizing that without ability to accelerate I can't beat gravity with that little momentum. So I decide to park in the street and place the vehicle in reverse.

Pressing the gas while in reverse causes the car to go forward. Pressing the gas in drive causes the car to go forward.

It appears to be some sort of transmission internal failure. I also was making a pretty bad smell as well.

I have to have the car towed now to the dealer for warranty repair.
Just guessing ....but sounds like the torque converter blew up!

·
Registered
2015 ESCALADE ESV 2015 CTS 2018 XT5. 2018 CT6
418 Posts
Didn't you have an unresolved vibration, maybe this fix will be the cure for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning the tow truck shows up and puts it in neutral and the vehicle almost ended up running into my house.

Ever gear other than park resulted in the car driving forward. What a nightmare.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Next time do a power brake first to build up that pressure then as you release the brake the acceleration will be noticed. Instead of gunning it a 3rd or fourth gear. My guess is it's just a broken gear spindle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever the problem is, it will not fix my vibration issues and shouldn't be happening. This is the very first vehicle I've ever owned with a major mechanical problem. I've actually never had to use a tow service before. Buyer's remorse is slowly creeping in.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Whatever the problem is, it will not fix my vibration issues and shouldn't be happening. This is the very first vehicle I've ever owned with a major mechanical problem. I've actually never had to use a tow service before. Buyer's remorse is slowly creeping in.
I know your pain from my old 2010 nightmare lade. I wish you the best and I hope they get it fixed for you and that no more issues arise. Good luck.

----------

I know your pain from my old 2010 nightmare lade. I wish you the best and I hope they get it fixed for you and that no more issues arise. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 ESCALADE ESV 2015 CTS 2018 XT5. 2018 CT6
418 Posts
I was in one of those for a while.....about as much like my idea of Cadillac as a Subaru!
Really? The SRX is a great car for my daughter. I'm pretty sure the SRX is the best seller for Cadillac. It's not an Escalade but it is half the price.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Really? The SRX is a great car for my daughter. I'm pretty sure the SRX is the best seller for Cadillac. It's not an Escalade but it is half the price.
Well....I was probably a bit too harsh in my assessment, but the one they gave me for a loaner ( a 2015) was most likely the base model ( lots of squeaks, noisy 6 engine ) .....my son has a 2012 Kia SUV that has more "luxury" appointments and feel than that SRX.....of course back in my Mercedes days, I was given a C class as loaner one time and i remember thinking that I had driven Camry's nicer than this! :) So....probably it is their best seller and probably is a good car......just was a surprise to me, never having owned a Caddy before this Escalade,and had this image of ALL Caddy's being quiet, comfortable and swamped with comfort!!

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Well....I was probably a bit too harsh in my assessment, but the one they gave me for a loaner ( a 2015) was most likely the base model ( lots of squeaks, noisy 6 engine ) .....my son has a 2012 Kia SUV that has more "luxury" appointments and feel than that SRX.....of course back in my Mercedes days, I was given a C class as loaner one time and i remember thinking that I had driven Camry's nicer than this! :) So....probably it is their best seller and probably is a good car......just was a surprise to me, never having owned a Caddy before this Escalade,and had this image of ALL Caddy's being quiet, comfortable and swamped with comfort!!
Had a new, 110 miles showing, '15 Premium as my last loaner. Considering how well equipped it was--auto hi beams, turning HIDs, ACC--surprised it had a manually adjustable steering wheel.

My biggest complaint was the amount of road noise from the tires. Serioulsy. Considering the amount of noise, expected Goodyears. Really surprised it was shod with Michelins.

Guessing you probably have a bad control module as everything is controlled electronically.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The seats are ridiculously uncomfortable on the SRX. I would never buy one of these.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are replacing the entire transmission and sending the trashed one back to Cadillac for quality inspection.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol...exactly. I'm afraid I'll never get to learn the exact cause of the failure. Does anyone know a way to find out since the transmission will be evaluated at Cadillac and not the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts