Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CTS 3.6 with 34,000 miles. I brought it to the dealer yesterday with a rattle coming from under the hood. It turns out that the engine only had 1 quart of oil in it. There was no check engine light and no oil light. Dealer kept the car and took a look - no sign of leaks or indication of oil loss. I provided receipts from my last 3 oil changes (private garage not the dealer) and the dealer contacted regional Cadillac rep. Yesterday and today, tests were done to determine "internal engine failure." Here's the rough part - they asked me to authorize them $1000 to tear down the engine to determine extent of damage and whether this is a warranty. How does the extent of the damage have anything to do with whether it's a warranty? If it's $50 repair, it's covered, but if it's a new engine it's not covered?!! What part of this situation looks to be anything but a warranty item? Obviously, I did not authorize and I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to the service manager.

I am looking for advice and opinions from people who may have had similar problems or from Cadillac employees with their point of view. I just want to know what kind of battle I am in for with this nightmare....

Thank you for reading my rant.....

Eric

·
Registered
CTS
2,557 Posts
Where do you get your oil changes from? I heard that Jiffy Lube was pulling some shady stunts..... When do you change your oil? Every how many miles?

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
dude due a search here om forum there has been at least 3 similar cases and they all got their engines replaced, i`ll still try to find you someting

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Ask the dealer for mere details ... if they open the engine up what are they looking for that will determine if it is a warranty claim or not? The facts are that they already know there was only 1 quart of oil remaining (which in most engines is probably still enough to prevent major engine damage, at least in moderate service). Do they suspect the lack of oil is a symptom or the cause? If it's a symptom then I see no reason why they should ask you for $1000 to find & fix the problem. If they feel it is the cause then why do they need to open up the engine to tell you that it is not a warranty claim?

-GT

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Talk with service mgr. Hopefully, you have been a loyal customer over the years. Bring your garage receipts with you. They will be important. I recommend that you go to your local garage and get a copy of all oil receipts. Hopefully, these receipts have documented mileage. Certainly, dates should work also.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
I guess I am wondering how they sold a car with one quart of oil?

Most dealerships that I have seen that sell used cars usually advertise some sort of "certified" used car. They advertise so many point checks. You would think one of these would involve checking the oil.

I have a feeling they may already know or have a very good hunch as to what is going on with the engine.

Me personally I would put more oil in it and see where it goes. It has got to be going some where. Assuming an idiot did not just put one quart of oil in it at the last oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of you are asking the same questions that I want answered. I have provided receipts for my oil changes. I do not understand why the extent of damage has any bearing on the warranty whatsoever. I will be going to the dealer this morning to talk to the service manager....but I have a feeling that will not help. I'll just keep going up the ladder until I get to Lutz....

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Tell them to contact GM TAC and inquire about oil consumption issues with this engine.
I don't know the specifics but I know they have cases of this on file and should be able to help the dealer proceed in the right direction. Make sure to remind them that this car is supposed to let you know when the oil is low and it didn't. Tell them to start the engine low on oil and see if the light comes on. (it probably won't)

Call Cadillac Customer care, explain that you are maintaining your car as you should be.
The only issue you might run into is that the owner's manual might state that you should check the oil level regularly. I wouldn't authorize them to tear it down until someone from GM tells you it won't be a covered repair. I am sure if there is internal engine damage it will be costly to repair. If you always had oil pressure it should be okay.
You have been using Mobil 1 right? If not then you might have a problem.
Dino oil doesn't meet the manufacturer's specification for that engine and they will have you over a barrel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, I received zero help today. The service manager gave me the "It's not our policy, it's Cadillac corporate" line. So I called Cadillac customer service, and after a half-hour phone call was left with the same problem. Cadillac's position is that the engine needs to be dissected to see if the oil consumption was due to an internal problem with the engine or if it is just normal consumption. If they cannot find a part problem, they will leave me responsible with the assumption that I need to verify my fluid levels, regardless of the $40,000 worth of technology in my CTS that should have given me a warning light. Everyone agrees that the car issued no warning, and that I have maintained the car properly, but Cadillac will stand behind the theory that it is up to the owner to verify fluid levels. I am hoping for a miracle that the dealer will find a problem....

...on a side note, I was very disappointed in the attitude of Cadillac customer service....they even had the nerve to end the call with the corporate line: "Cadillac is committed to 100% customer satisfaction. Have we met all of your customer service needs today?"

I just laughed out loud and asked if I really needed to answer....I can only imagine the GM service if I had bought a $10,000 Aveo instead of a $40,000 CTS....

Unfortunately, this will definitely be my last GM vehicle...I have had many nagging issues with GM vehicles in the past, but this car takes the cake....

Sorry for my rant....thanks for listening.

Eric

·
Registered
77 Posts
Moonstone -
This is exactly what happened to me except that my dealer (whom I DIDN'T buy the Dadillac from) took 2 days to determine that they would replace the engine for FREE. Here's the kicker, I was OUT of Warranty! I have a post detailing this issue. PM me if you want some offline support.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
my 05 is in service.... my tail pipes had black soot on tthem right after I washed it. I called cadillac and told them this problem and also that my garage said I would fail inspection.... also mI had to add 3 quarts of oil into the damn thing... it turned out that the 02 sensor was fine but the car was eating more gas that it should be (which I had taken in 3 times prior and was basically told I was nuts) and they need to replace the main gasket and update the software on the car.... apparently oil was seeping out.. I guess I caught it in time.. but the gas issue im pissed about and feel I should make something off of this....

·
Registered
309 Posts
a couple of points and a question: when was the last time (mileage and date) you checked the oil level after the last oil/filter change?

it's important to remember not to deal with the dealership on awarranty item that is under "review" for lack of a betterterm. remember, the dealership is a private business...only indirectly associated with the manufacturer. the very first thing to do on any warranty item (and this is a warranty item) is to call the 800 number and start a case file on this particular problem. get the name and number from the rep at the 800 number or from your dealership for the area service rep and schedule a meet at the dealership regarding the problem.

finally, the question i first asked is of major importance: the owner of the vehicle is responsible forperiodically checking the oil, brake, and coolant levels on a regular basis. this is the reason that the question of warranty coverage has been raised. oil level is definitely something that can void the warranty...just ask a toyota owner that didn't change their oil on a regualr basis or didn't keep an eye on the level of the oil.

i hope that caddy steps up to the plate and covers the engine for you.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Ok, so let me see if I have this right ...
- you brought the CTS in for service because of a rattle
- they found you were very low on oil
- they agreed that your car has been properly maintained
- it is still under warranty

Top it up with oil and ask them to fix the rattle. They must fix the rattle as this is a warranty item. If their is an oil consumption problem you only have to document it (i.e. how many miles until you have to add another quart). If the consumption falls outside of the acceptable range they will need to fix it, and if this requires them to perform $1000 of exploratory work then so be it - it must be done at their expense. If you are unwilling to drive it and document the oil consumtion then I could understand why they want to charge you $1000 to take a look, but otherwise I see no reason for you to be responsible for paying for diagnostic work if your car is under warranty.

-GT

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
well here is the point you should bring up to cadillac.... tell them to read the computer..... tell them that the computer will show the engine light never went on and the oil light never went on... this should help get them to warrenty you... esp if the oil read "80% oil life left" etc..... all they have to do is see that your computer warnings never came on .. and if they dont come then you should be safe..... see what they say to that.. the car has a computer system that reads your fluids and is suppose to tell you when a problem occurs

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
I can't believe there is a controversy here. The low oil level system didn't work and the low oil pressure system didn't work either. What the hell do they expect the owner to do; get out and check the oil every 25 miles? It never ceases to amaze me that a business feels they have something to gain by idiotic attempts to screw over the customers. The dealer ought to be begging for forgiveness.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I recommend that you start visiting the bigger GM dealerships in your geographic area and talk with a variety of service mgrs, asking them for advice on what to do next, or who to contact at GM. Locate a srvc mgr with some gray hair.

Also, sometimes it helps if you can locate a small Caddy dealer where the srvc mgr will introduce you to the owner. GM and Caddy do have a customer appreciation program, where the dealer can sometimes convince GM to make the repairs. That might involve YOU VOLUNTEERING to share some of the expense with the dealer.

I had a rear end (Trans Am) replaced by a small pontiac dealer when car was 5 years old with 51k miles on it. I was original owner; car was well maintained, and I paid about $300 plus burgers, fries, ice cream, etc for a $2500 job.

Just need to keep asking questions until you locate right person who might empathize with you.

GM is much more likely to do this than Ford. Chrysler, from what I have heard, will not talk with you if you are one day out of warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to pass along an update to this neverending situation....last week the dealer determined major engine damage and Cadillac would not honor the warranty as "fluid levels are maintenance issues and the responsibility of the owner" (never mind the consumption of 70% of the engine oil or the mystery oil warning lights). I made a few more calls to Caddy Corporate and spoke to multiple robots who insist there was nothing wrong with the car. So the dealer gave me two choices - the expensive option (engine overhaul) and the obscene option (new engine), both on my dime. I told them to fix as quickly and cheaply as possible (using duct tape where applicable). Then I filled out BBB online form, and received a call from Cadillac's legal department within 48 hours to verify my situation. This was Friday.

My car was finished last night. Cadillac legal received the final invoice today. I am expecting a call from them either this afternoon or tomorrow morning with their "resolution." I do not want to lay out the money for the car until I resolve this, so the car sits at the dealer. At this point, GM has exhausted most of the fight out of me. I am hoping for a cost reduction (parts vs labor?), but who knows. If I am still unsatisfied with the "resolution", I can proceed with my BBB claim, though that could take weeks....and I really want this car and GM out of my life as soon as possible.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts