Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add. My question to you guys, I've purchased a 2014 CTS 3.6 Luxury Collection AWD it has 104,000 but the car is flawless, it has been serviced every 5,000 miles by dealer, looking or advice from other owners with high mileage cars, can they be reliable for many miles.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,155 Posts
Underhood checks, clean oil & filters, routine maintenance are keys to any motor vehicle's longevity.

Later 3.6 engines with VVT are not noted for long term reliability. Study the forums with the VVT 3.6 in them. Timing chains and cam phasers are the first suspects.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,051 Posts
You need to hook up with the Genll CTS forum. Tons of info over there and the guys know their stuff. See you over there, tcwarner. Welcome to the forum.

CTS Genll

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,051 Posts
As I mentioned these guys know their cars. We have a lot of fun, too.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,473 Posts
Thread moved from the CTS-V forum to the CTS forum. Your fellow V6 and AWD owners can give you better advice than the CTS-V owners, since the V has a completely different powertrain.

I've also updated the thread title to something more descriptive, since "Mileage" sounded to me like a thread about fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,350 Posts
Replace the struts now, and timing chains by 120K miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the add. My question to you guys, I've purchased a 2014 CTS 3.6 Luxury Collection AWD it has 104,000 but the car is flawless, it has been serviced every 5,000 miles by dealer, looking or advice from other owners with high mileage cars, can they be reliable for many miles.
Try the Motorkote all seal! Your pour this additive right in to the oil and let it do it’s job! Awesome stuff for cars with high miles. Order it from ebay

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
Good call! Thread moved yet again. :)
I have a '14 wagon. I wasn't thinking (or obviously remembering) that the new Genlll sedan debuted in' 14. Or maybe it was late in the evening when I read this, lol.

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (102k miles)
1,299 Posts
Replace the struts now, and timing chains by 120K miles.
The chains need to be replaced even if not causing any problems? I thought only belts had to be regularly replaced but chains last forever

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
No,no,no, chains wear out, too. They will definitely last longer than belts, but they do need to be replaced on a maintenance schedule.

Reactions: ornery

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The chains need to be replaced even if not causing any problems? I thought only belts had to be regularly replaced but chains last forever
To be blunt, you thought wrong, although many people suffer from the same misconception. What is your definition of "not causing any problems"? Rattling at high RPM, or at engine start-up? Extreme death-rattle at cold start because the cam phasers have failed to properly lock at engine shut down? Loss of fuel economy, power, and deteriorating throttle response? Hesitation at throttle tip-in?

Or were you going to wait for the engine to skip time and/or the CEL to light?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,155 Posts
A primary cause of timing chain problems is actually worn out tensioner and guide slippers. Made of nylon, they have a finite life

See all the amber and green colored stuff? That's slippery nylon......... but it does wear over time - just like anything else in the engine. Engines are NOT forever and over 100,000 miles is "high miles" so maintenance increases.

Timing_Chain_Installation.jpg

Calculate piston travel in feet per mile and then calculate how many times that piston has been around the world in 100,000 average speed miles.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
A primary cause of timing chain problems is actually worn out tensioner and guide slippers. Made of nylon, they have a finite life

See all the amber and green colored stuff? That's slippery nylon......... but it does wear over time - just like anything else in the engine. Engines are NOT forever and over 100,000 miles is "high miles" so maintenance increases.
Every engine design is different. In the case of my particular GM high-feature V6, there was no visible wear on the guides (replaced anyway, they're cheap), but the chain had clearly worn, and the phasers had failed to lock at shutdown on at least one occasion. I'm unsure if the hesitation at throttle tip-in was due to slow phasers, excess timing chain slack to be taken up, or both.

On the 4.6L Ford DOHC V8 guides definitely do wear, but the design is different.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Replace chains at 120k? I haven't seen anything on the owner's manual. My friend's Camry has like a belt and its gone over 120k without issues. So shouldn't a chain last longer?

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
How many miles do you have, Bob?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

1 - 20 of 35 Posts