Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 CTS AWD with about 95,000 miles. Normally, I get a new car around 75,000 miles, but it wasn't in the budget last year. It is this year though. Car is at the shop now for special warranty timing chain replacement. I have been given the following suggestions for maintenance and repair.

Misfire on cylinder 6: suggesting replace coil and sparkplug. But, due to mileage, may as well replace all spark plugs.

Coil: estimated cost $550
6 spark plugs: $400

Neither of my rear door locks work anymore. Suggested replace latch on each: $675

Daytime running light out: $300

I know I am not going to do the door locks, been living with them like that for a couple years already, I'm use to it.

Estimated value of car around $12,000. Decisions, decisions. Call it a day with the timing chain and trade it in or do the coil and plugs and trade in sometime later on this year. Any thoughts?

I found a few decent deals for new and low mileage 2014 CTS out there....

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
Well, if you fix everything but the door locks, you're into it for $1250. How much would a new car payment be? $400/month? If you keep it for three+ months you're breaking even. Trade-in value will decrease the longer you keep it, but still, if you hang on to it another six months it's not that bad a deal to fix it now.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Depends on how motivated you are to get into a new(er) car.

From the tone of your post it doesn't seem like your in any rush to sell right now. If that's the case, fix what needs to be done and start advertising your car as a private sale. It is more effort and will probably take a little time, but you'll get more $ out of it. Certainly more $ than a dealer would offer.

Comparatively, your vehicles value is pretty stable right now whereas a 2014 CTS (for example) will only become less expensive as the year goes on.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
Presumably you had check engine light for the chains? Did you notice any driveability
issues or check engine light for the misfire before that? $950 is a lot for 1 coil and 6 plugs.
If you're for sure going to trade it in this year, why not just do the chains and then see
if it needs more work (i.e. plugs & coils - maybe finding a lower quote).

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
If you have the budget to trade it in NOW, I would fix what needs to keep the car running in decent shape and get rid of it for something that has some kind of warranty left.

What kind of unexpected issues do these cars have at high mileage? The last thing you want is spend money on random repairs that come up towards the very end of the ownership.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Holy Crap you are getting taken to the cleaners!! Coils and spark plugs for 1100??? I did my 2 rear door locks myself for 150 bucks.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
The OE coils can be had for $350 or so - That is the bulk of the cost. The plugs are less than 10 bucks each. Here is a how to on changing the plugs...coils can be replaced as part of this process.

Here is a link to "how to" on changing the spark plugs
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/252622-how-change-your-spark-plugs.html

Here is a link on changing the rear door actuators -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/528185-2008-cts-rear-door-locks-intermittent.html#post13149794

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
Do a search, the daytime running light is also a cheap fix, just need to release the bumper enough to get to the light. There are references to the process on the board here, and I think a couple videos on youtube. I did mine, $30 for 2 bulbs and called it a day.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
You can find non OEM ones on eBay for as little as $14ish each. There is always a more economical choice than your dealer.

Marv

PS - I found your wallet and used the rubber!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts