Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the STS. Unfortunately, the nearest Cadillac dealer is about 50 miles away from where I live. Can any GM dealership perform scheduled maintenance on this car or should it be done at the Cadillac dealership?

Same question regarding stuff above and beyond scheduled maintenance, i.e., warranty, repairs, etc.

In addition, should I expect more perks when taking a Cadillac to the dealership, such as a loaner car for the day?

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
Maintenance can be done anywhere by a dealer or local mechanic, or even yourself! It's repairs that must be done at a Cadillac dealer. I tried at the local Buick dealer and they wouldn't fix my STS.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It depends on the dealership.

We have the ability now to do what we call 'crossline' warranty work. (there was a day when you HAD to go to the dealership for your car make)
The only trick is that the shop has to have a tech that is certified on stuff to be able to backup their warranty claims. Technically if a tech is what we call "100% STS" he should be able to work on it. A lot of guys are unfamiliar with Cadillacs that work for other carlines. Your best bet is if someone in the shop just came from a Cad store, they might take on your car.
The managers can authorize crossline but sometimes they have to get permission from their area rep. The reps usually prefer that it goes to a dealer that has the parts and the techs that are used to your carline.
Parts might be another problem you run into. There are a lot of unique parts for your car that another dealer won't have. They'd probably have to go get parts from the farther away dealer anyway.

I agree maintenance shouldn't be an issue and in an 'emergency' the other dealer should be able to handle it. If you have a warranty issue you might just take it to the other place.
Bottom line is, have a talk with your closer dealer to see if they want to help you out. It's really their decision.

HTH

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
malatu said:
In addition, should I expect more perks when taking a Cadillac to the dealership, such as a loaner car for the day?
Yes. Most dealerships have a Cadillac loaner car program but it is up to the dealer.

By the way, where do you live that the nearest dealer is 50 miles away? The moon perhaps?

Mark

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We have an enterprise office right in our main building.
They hand out rental cars all day long if you drop off your car for warranty

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ewill3rd said:
It depends on the dealership.

We have the ability now to do what we call 'crossline' warranty work. (there was a day when you HAD to go to the dealership for your car make)
The only trick is that the shop has to have a tech that is certified on stuff to be able to backup their warranty claims. Technically if a tech is what we call "100% STS" he should be able to work on it. A lot of guys are unfamiliar with Cadillacs that work for other carlines. Your best bet is if someone in the shop just came from a Cad store, they might take on your car.
The managers can authorize crossline but sometimes they have to get permission from their area rep. The reps usually prefer that it goes to a dealer that has the parts and the techs that are used to your carline.
Parts might be another problem you run into. There are a lot of unique parts for your car that another dealer won't have. They'd probably have to go get parts from the farther away dealer anyway.

I agree maintenance shouldn't be an issue and in an 'emergency' the other dealer should be able to handle it. If you have a warranty issue you might just take it to the other place.
Bottom line is, have a talk with your closer dealer to see if they want to help you out. It's really their decision.

HTH
Thanks, very helpful. I appreciate the reply.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You are quite welcome, and thank you for such a nice response!
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts