Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
The picture may be just a little misleading. The major share of cylinder wear occurrs at the very top of ring travel not the bottom which is shown in the photo. I would be interested in seeing and measuring the ring ridge before passing judgement.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The picture is not misleading at all. The discussion was about the original hone marks being visible @ well over 100K miles. Granted, the most wear does occur @ the top of the cylinder, but your looking at over 1/2 of the piston travel here as the piston is bottomed on the head. I hardly think your going to see these hone marks where they are and have a ridge at the top.

·
Registered
1996 Deville 4.6L
2 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Thanks for finding the way to resurrect the original article. I'll sticky this thread in Northstar for reference.

Please note that the original linked article in Post #23 was NOT written by GM or Cadillac so there may still be errors and subjective presumptions present.

FWIW, some of the longer replies in this thread were posted by a former GM Northstar Systems powertrain engineer.

Here's a more recent picture of a Northstar cylinder wall at 171,000 miles - top of the liner.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.