Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Crystal White Polished Wheels Sunroof
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather has been beautiful for the last few days so after receiving my car on the 12th
I could not stand to see it sitting in the garage any longer and took it for an easy 60 mile ride.
I have officially named it GREAT WHITE as it even has a dorsal fin on its roof,lol.
I have always loved the look of the V-Coupe and said to myself if I ever bought one it would be
white or gray with Recaros, moon roof and a manual transmission. I sold my 2008 Ferrari Scuderia and set out
to buy a V and a new Viper.
I started out looking at 14s with autos and then said to myself I must have a manual trans. in this car and
why not get the 15 thats fully equipped. I was lucky to find a 15 in white with manual and the moon roof at a good
price but it was in PA. Yes I had to pay shipping so I went with Intercity as I have used them before
with good results and they came through again with my V.
I had pretty high expectations about my V after reading lots of forum and internet information. One thing I was NOT
going to do was compare it to my scud. First off Iam very happy I got the manual trans. This car is a blast to drive
with it and the feel of the shifter is very good. I have not had a MT car in awhile and I did not realize until
I drove this V on how much fun I have missed out on especially the interaction between car and driver.
Iam sure some will disagree with me but the V and the Viper are just being used for fun, car club, rides and
canyon runs. Neither car will be used as dailies nor see dragstrip duty.
In my short run I find the power comes on very linear some what like my old 599 which I called
the locomotive,lol I will be sticking to the manual which states to not rev. it above 4K for 1.5K miles.
Thats going to be hard to do,lol..The steering seems a little heavy to me but I actually like it especially
when speeds increase. The car is very quiet(read no wind noise) with the windows up and so far
the control seem to be placed well.
One small feature I really like is the blind spot indicators in the side view mirrors as it seems that people love
to ride in your blind spot here in Utah,lol. I have not really used the radio or nav so I cant report on
that yet. I do like the rear view camera as the rear window is like looking out of a WW2 bunker.
Love the Recaros and the many settings for them and the interior in general.
Some small nits are I wish it had power folding side view mirrors and park assist up front as the hood
really drops off.
All in all Iam very happy with everything about this V and I like the fact that Iam back in American
metal with this car and the Viper.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it might steer someone who is on the fence to buy one of these
crazy Caddys.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Congrats! That car looks great! Enjoy it! It really is an awesome car and the last stealth fighter looking Cadillac. The manual really makes this engine feel aggressive. After having an auto V Coupe and then my current manual V Coupe, I can definitely say that the manual gives you a ton more control over the power band. I know they say to go easy on the car during the first 500 miles, I went pedal to the metal from day one from the dealer showroom with 5 miles on the odometer. The car is a beast now at almost 9K miles. Break it in right! Baby a GM vehicle and it falls apart. Beat the crap out of it and it will be solid!

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Nice write-up. As others have said, the car is a blast.

To manage your expectations, the car's weakest link is the infotainment system. Don't get me wrong, it works well enough, the sound is OK, the HDD is my favorite part, but the Bluetooth is a bit laggy and the NAV functionality is a bit outdated compared with what's out there. By comparison the system in my previous car ('06 Acura RL) was worlds better, and that car was introduced in late '04.

Having said that, that's where the comparison ends, I love my V-Coupe.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
You will enjoy this car. I'm still learning mine and lovin' every minute of it. You have a beauty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Whats the general consensus on break-in, manual says to stay below 4K rpms for 1.5K miles.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I drove from Ann Arbor Michigan to Jacksonville Florida with mine. I was going absolutely bonkers driving at different speeds in different gears to vary the RPM. Getting passed by a Prius is humbling. I paid attention to what the manual said.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
Congratulations on your new coupe. I was lucky enough to find a 2013 sedan, manual a few weeks ago. The only thing I would like added to the car would be front parking sensors.
Tom

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
Wait until you get to really "drive" your car "in anger". I did for the first time this weekend. Speedometer? Who can look at the speedo to see how fast you're going at triple digits? The mph readout in the DIC helps a lot, as do the red repeater lights in the speedo and tach. I also thought our cars had a great suspension, and they do. At speed, again, I can see the need for a more firm suspension. These cars are an absolute dream to drive at speed. Now I have to find a track to really have some sane fun.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Whats the general consensus on break-in, manual says to stay below 4K rpms for 1.5K miles.
Some stick to the manual, others begin flogging their V's immediately. I went pretty easy for about the first 1k miles then couldn't hold back any longer, and have no troubles @ just under 12k miles. :)

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
I think the general consensus with this car is to go by the break-in procedure in the manual. There's still some disagreement on whether the engine really needs to be broken in like that, but there's a pretty strong case to drive relatively gently for the first 1.5k miles for the sake of the rear diff. It has a tendency to go bad if not broken in well before thrashing it. That's less of an engine rpm thing, and more of a driving gently in general thing. Personally I recommend just taking it easy for the break in period, for that reason. It's only 1500 miles, just take a couple road trips.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the general consensus with this car is to go by the break-in procedure in the manual. There's still some disagreement on whether the engine really needs to be broken in like that, but there's a pretty strong case to drive relatively gently for the first 1.5k miles for the sake of the rear diff. It has a tendency to go bad if not broken in well before thrashing it. That's less of an engine rpm thing, and more of a driving gently in general thing. Personally I recommend just taking it easy for the break in period, for that reason. It's only 1500 miles, just take a couple road trips.
I have also heard the same as you mention above. I was told its better to let everything seat itself and for the rear diff. gearing
to have time to mesh well. I have no problem in following the manual, my problem is I dont put on a bunch of miles per year but
I can see I will with this car so 1.5K should be no problem. Between this and the Viper I will be having a bunch of seat time. Thanks again for your reply.
Kevin

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
Between this and the Viper I will be having a bunch of seat time. Kevin
There certainly are worse things in this world, lol! Oh, the pain and suffering!!!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Break in procedure is not for the engine...it's for the automatic transmission and rear diff meshing together under weight and load of the car for the first time. The engines are run WOT before they even make it into the car at the assembly plant. I ran my car hard from day one, but made sure to change the oil out early and go to Mobil 1 and I also made sure to swap the rear diff fluid early on to get all the break in materials out and also to make sure the diff was full. Manual transmission doesn't need much break in. Automatics seem to need more of a break in. Piston rings take a good few thousand miles to seat nicely as well. My engine seemed to stop consuming oil. Assuming the rings are finally seated.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
...I also made sure to swap the rear diff fluid early on to get all the break in materials out....
Good point about changing out factory fluids early. I did the same. Cheap insurance IMO.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What specific fluids would you have changed out and at what mileage? I will be talking to a Caddy dealer in my area today and will make sure I ask if they have qualified techs to work on the V.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts