Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CTS V Coupe - 2011
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed on my 2011 V-Coupe, and the dealer informed me that (at 67k miles) -- my rear shocks are blown. One seemed to have been leaking pretty bad as well. I'm obviously not happy about this, but I cant say the car has been handling poorly. You would think this wouldn't happen on a relatively new $70,000 car.
Was just wondering if anyone has gone through this, and if it is an immediate issue (if the car still seems to be handling ok) -- and also if the rear shocks from a v-sedan or even a Corvette with be compatible. --- and where might be the cheapest place to get an oem replacement? -- Thanks

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
67K is a lot of mileage on shocks IMO. The rears all weep enough to wet the outside of the shock but not enough to drip. My rears were dripping at 35K with LOTS of road racing. I went ahead and replaced all 4 and definitely noticed an improvement in handling immediately. I think with shocks, the performance degrades so slowly you don't notice because it is so gradual. Given the pounding I have given my V I also did not feel too bad replacing them at that mileage. Plus I like the added insurance for when I'm doing 160mph in the straights :)

·
Registered
CTS V Coupe - 2011
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, where did you get the shocks and how much were they?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)
710 Posts
Thanks, where did you get the shocks and how much were they?
IIRC rockauto. I thought the rears were 275-ish each and the fronts were $330-ish. They were the cheapest by quite a bit when I bought them about 8 months ago.

Had great luck with other stuff from Luke so definitely check with them.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Yes, happens regularly. I had 3? sets within the warranty but now they've held up pretty well.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
831 Posts
You are crazy if you think fancy shocks on a track oriented performance car are going to last 70,000 miles...

On the plus side they only cost $300 or so each which sucks but at least they are not some crazy $1000 per, and are easy to replace yourself in the garage. And when I say easy, this coming from a person without much wrenching skill or tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts