Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current V-Sport owners:

I'm considering purchasing either a used V-Sport or a used BMW 335i...in either case, with adjustable dampers. I realize GM's MRC is primarily about suspension management during cornering/road condition events (quickly adjusting to changing conditions), but how good is it on a daily basis as far as a perceptible ride quality adjustment? In other words, does it create a meaningful change in ride quality when in Touring (softer ride)? I've test driven both the CTS and 335 with adjustable dampers, and on short drives, honestly it's hard to tell a significant difference in ride between the settings.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport white tri coat/cashmere interior
291 Posts
Usually I have a hard time telling the difference. But today as I was driving in track mode, I noticed the cracks in the road quite a bit. Put it in tour and the road smoothed out. I wish it was softer/smoother in tour, but that's the nature of low profile tires.

The VSport rocks! You won't be disappointed if you get it!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually I have a hard time telling the difference. But today as I was driving in track mode, I noticed the cracks in the road quite a bit. Put it in tour and the road smoothed out. I wish it was softer/smoother in tour, but that's the nature of low profile tires.

The VSport rocks! You won't be disappointed if you get it!
I'm a current 2006 330i owner...my head keeps telling me to get another 3 series, but every time I test drive a V-Sport, I'm just blown away. I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but the V-Sport just puts a smile on my face!

p.s. Back seat room is deplorable though.

·
Registered
2014 CTS V sport (Trifecta tune, hold on!)
95 Posts
I'm usually in Tour mode. Not that different from Sport mode. Track mode is noticeably harsher. Interior is very luxurious and comfortable. Plenty of room in back seat for adults. With the aftermarket tune it is a beast. Also tunes the tranny. Eliminates tranny "searching" and holds the gear better when in Drive mode on a mountain road. Shifts are quicker also. A true four door hot rod. I've had mine since August and have about 11,000 miles with zero problems. No trips to the dealer. I average 21mpg.

·
Registered
CTS Vsport
61 Posts
Go for the Vsport! :). I've owned almost a dozen bmw's in the past 22 years....from 3 series to two M5's, to two 7 series, to a 6 series. The Vsport has something special about it. I liken it to a 4 door hot rod. I absolutely love this car. I'm sure you will too. Plus, everyone and their mother has a 3 series ;).

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Phantom Gray Performance
45 Posts
I tried it with both stock Pirelli P Zero and Sottozero (both run-flat). Conclusion: worry more about the tires than about the suspension setting. Stock tires are too firm to drive everyday in Sport mode.

Winter tires are more comfortable - you can drive in Sport mode comfortably.

I keep watching Motor Trend reviews of various recent cars...They all make me wish for my Vsport...I am so happy I got one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I came from a 2014 335i m sport that I bought in April '14. In August '14 I decided I wanted something a little bigger and more comfortable because I go back to my hometown about once a month (250 mi) and the 335 would get a little uncomfortable after so long. It's not like I'm a big guy, 20 yr old 6'1 , like 180 lb. Anyway in august I was cross shopping a Maserati Ghibli and a Cls550 UNTIL I drove the V-Sport. Wow the car drove better than any of them , I've drove the previous generation V and the V-Sport stI'll blew me away. The easiest way to put it is not only is the MRC the best in the business. It is a natural athlete so don't expect a pillow like ride but I have to say it's the BEST possible median between sport and comfortable on long trips. The system reacts SO fast to bumps (exp. At the beginning of a train track you might get a decent bump within a couple inches literally it's full soft and feels great)

I put some Michelin Pilot Alpine snow tires on (in Chicago) this past winter and frankly , was outperforming SUV's in the snow.

This past week I put some Michelin pilot super sports on and took it for some limit driving in the back curvy roads in IN. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE CAR!!!!

Having had both of the newest iterations of the cars listed in one calender year I can without a doubt tell you that you'll be more happy with the V-Sport. IF you're ready for a much more serious driving experience , the V-Sport has much higher limits than the 335. The better performance along with the MR and literally every tech option under the sun make the V-Sport the winner in my book. With all of that said, the 335 was still one of the funnest cars I've owned, so easy to drive at its limits but damping system couldn't stop the F30 body roll on the edge of control. I had the fully loaded 335 and still doesn't compare to.the additional options you get in the caddy.

ONE LAST THING

I need to notate in this post thaty insurance went down over $100 per month gping from the 335 to the v sport. This is going to vary per case however the main reason is because the cts was ranked the safest sedan of 2014.

Hopefully thus helps with your decision!

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
CadillacVic said:
I tried it with both stock Pirelli P Zero and Sottozero (both run-flat). Conclusion: worry more about the tires than about the suspension setting. Stock tires are too firm to drive everyday in Sport mode. Winter tires are more comfortable - you can drive in Sport mode comfortably. I keep watching Motor Trend reviews of various recent cars...They all make me wish for my Vsport...I am so happy I got one!
I just installed a set Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead of the stock Pirelli run flats. Wow! What a difference! They handle better, are more compliant, are quieter and ride smoother. I support your point: worry more about the tire than suspension setting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came from a 2014 335i m sport that I bought in April '14. In August '14 I decided I wanted something a little bigger and more comfortable because I go back to my hometown about once a month (250 mi) and the 335 would get a little uncomfortable after so long. It's not like I'm a big guy, 20 yr old 6'1 , like 180 lb. Anyway in august I was cross shopping a Maserati Ghibli and a Cls550 UNTIL I drove the V-Sport. Wow the car drove better than any of them , I've drove the previous generation V and the V-Sport stI'll blew me away. The easiest way to put it is not only is the MRC the best in the business. It is a natural athlete so don't expect a pillow like ride but I have to say it's the BEST possible median between sport and comfortable on long trips. The system reacts SO fast to bumps (exp. At the beginning of a train track you might get a decent bump within a couple inches literally it's full soft and feels great)

I put some Michelin Pilot Alpine snow tires on (in Chicago) this past winter and frankly , was outperforming SUV's in the snow.

This past week I put some Michelin pilot super sports on and took it for some limit driving in the back curvy roads in IN. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE CAR!!!!

Having had both of the newest iterations of the cars listed in one calender year I can without a doubt tell you that you'll be more happy with the V-Sport. IF you're ready for a much more serious driving experience , the V-Sport has much higher limits than the 335. The better performance along with the MR and literally every tech option under the sun make the V-Sport the winner in my book. With all of that said, the 335 was still one of the funnest cars I've owned, so easy to drive at its limits but damping system couldn't stop the F30 body roll on the edge of control. I had the fully loaded 335 and still doesn't compare to.the additional options you get in the caddy.

ONE LAST THING

I need to notate in this post thaty insurance went down over $100 per month gping from the 335 to the v sport. This is going to vary per case however the main reason is because the cts was ranked the safest sedan of 2014.

Hopefully thus helps with your decision!
Great feedback! As a current 2006 E90 330i 6-speed manual owner, this is very helpful. The big criticism of the current F30 335i is that it's abandoned its heritage as a driver's car by way of disengaged electric steering and significant body roll. Consequently, most of the F30 reviews tend to be underwhelmed, while the CTS V-Sport reviews tend to be the opposite. Clearly the CTS V-Sport is substantially superior dynamically, however I do tend to like the teutonic, tight, sporty look of the 335, though I realize these are in two different classes. Did your 335i have the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) with the adjustable dampers? I've read that is a MUST HAVE to achieve anywhere close to an engaging driving experience in the 3. What are your thoughts about the relative size comparison on a day-day handling? Does the CTS drive like a much bigger car?

p.s. I found a used CTS V-Sport premium with 15,000 miles for approx. $44,000. I'm thinking that's a deal.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
Looks wise the CTS V-Sport is kind of a sleeper. The front looks nice and pretty distinctive with lights but the rear end is kind of bland to me. Very few people on the road know what a driver's car this is and how quick it is, however I have been "challenged" a few times by BMWs, maybe they saw the red V on the trunk. I absolutely love driving this car. Even though it was Motor Week's Car of the Year in 2014, it never has gotten the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks wise the CTS V-Sport is kind of a sleeper. The front looks nice and pretty distinctive with lights but the rear end is kind of bland to me. Very few people on the road know what a driver's car this is and how quick it is, however I have been "challenged" a few times by BMWs, maybe they saw the red V on the trunk. I absolutely love driving this car. Even though it was Motor Week's Car of the Year in 2014, it never has gotten the attention it deserves.
I agree with your sentiments about the bland rear-end. The front is very aggressive (swagger), and in profile, elegant...but that rear. Rental car. I had read that they toned it down for the Chinese market. Who knows. The ATS certainly looks aggressive from the rear, but the CTS' sloping tailgate and wide, bulbous tail lights are a real letdown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I did have the (DHP) I also ended up getting the MPK as well. You are right in one respect , the 335i does look BA. Specifically the one I had in Estoril Blue with the Black Kidney Grill and the LED lighting package! The CTS is a more Elegant design and surprisingly looks more expensive on the road. ALL of the size and weight goes away once you get behind the wheel of the V-Sport , no its not as EASY to toss around a corner as the 335i but again thats largely due to the much higher handling limits. The V-Sport has made me a much better driver, the Electronic Diff is just AMAZING! For the first month after the trade I had a little bit of buyers remorse not gonna lie, was it the size, brand, transmission. Its hard to say what made me feel that way, I think it had something to do with the whole 20 yr old driving a beamer, or 20yr old driving a old man caddy thoughts but once I realized everything that i have in the car and the BEST possible median between luxury and full blown performance car I was permanently content with the V-Sport. In a straight line the cars are equally as fast , start going around corners and you can see the clear winner. Also on long trips the CTS's AC seats and adaptive cruise control just spoil the shit outta you!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I did have the (DHP) I also ended up getting the MPK as well. You are right in one respect , the 335i does look BA. Specifically the one I had in Estoril Blue with the Black Kidney Grill and the LED lighting package! The CTS is a more Elegant design and surprisingly looks more expensive on the road. ALL of the size and weight goes away once you get behind the wheel of the V-Sport , no its not as EASY to toss around a corner as the 335i but again thats largely due to the much higher handling limits. The V-Sport has made me a much better driver, the Electronic Diff is just AMAZING! For the first month after the trade I had a little bit of buyers remorse not gonna lie, was it the size, brand, transmission. Its hard to say what made me feel that way, I think it had something to do with the whole 20 yr old driving a beamer, or 20yr old driving a old man caddy thoughts but once I realized everything that i have in the car and the BEST possible median between luxury and full blown performance car I was permanently content with the V-Sport. In a straight line the cars are equally as fast , start going around corners and you can see the clear winner. Also on long trips the CTS's AC seats and adaptive cruise control just spoil the shit outta you!
That's quite an automotive repertoire at age 20 I'll have to say, and since it so very well parallels my interest, I don't know if that makes me 20 or you 46! Ha! Anyway, I suppose with the MPPK kit (+30HP) on the 335i, it may have closed the gap, but my admittedly seat-of-the-pants comparison between the 335i and the V-Sport is that the V-Sport felt quite a bit more powerful. IRONICALLY when I test drove a V-Sport on Friday, a 335i M-Sport got on my tail on the freeway, and I just downshifted the V-Sport and pulled away (though I really don't know if the 335 was at WOT). Part of me also wants to wait for the LCI (mid-cycle update) info on the 2016 335i, which is becoming the 340.

By the way, below is the link to my original posts both here and on Bimmerpost comparing/considering the 335i and the V-Sport. Since you're probably one of the few with such intimate experience with both, feel free to peruse and add any further comment. Thanks again!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-v-sport-general-discussion/579130-current-bmw-3-series-owner-considering.html

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034997

·
Registered
'14 V sport
88 Posts
Well, my experience is slightly different. I went from a 135i sport pack to a Mustang GT to a V sport. The 135 was definitely the stiffest ride of the 3, although the Mustang was jumpier when hitting really harsh stuff (as you'd expect from a live rear axle). What I notice most about the V sport is that it drives like a much smaller car. Going from the 1 to the mustang made me feel like I was driving a car twice the size. The CTS actually feels smaller than the Stang. It just shrinks around you, especially the more you push it. The body control is superior to the 135 while providing a more compliant ride. As for power, all 3 are pretty damned close (I was running a tune, downpipe, and intake on the 135), but my backside tells me the V sport is still a monster at high speeds while the Mustang and 135i both ran out of breath at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-VSport Premium
159 Posts
When I first drove the VSport I was amazed at how "light" the car felt when driving it. I remember taking a test drive at the dealership and my plan was to keep my cards close to the vest so to speak as far as my reaction to the car, but when I test drove it and the salesman said "go ahead, push it a little" I had the biggest grin on my face. I have let two of my friends drive the car and their first reaction was "wow, this is a V6?" and "man this car feels so light for a 4000 pound car!". Cadillac really did their homework on this car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
FWIW, The 2002.5 and 2003 Seville Touring Sedan (STS) was the test mule for the GM/Lord/DELPHI MRC suspension system. After the prove period the system went into Corvette and some Ferrari cars. Later, it went into Cadillac and GM upscale models. My F55 STS has anything BUT a "Cadillac ride". Having grown up on MG, Austin Healey, Jaguar and Ferrari I like the ride/handling. Cadillac mushmobile fans would not.

For background, Google "gm lord delphi magnetorheological suspension system".

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+lord+delphi+magnetorheological+suspension&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
...but every time I test drive a V-Sport, I'm just blown away. I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but the V-Sport just puts a smile on my face!

p.s. Back seat room is deplorable though.
Didn't you start a thread last fall about the same thing, lets do this already! :) Isn't being "blown away" enough to get you to sample this fantastic vehicle? Don't be a brand whore, get the Vsport. By the way, I'm 6'-3" and fit in the back seat just fine (when the driver seat is adjusted for me), so maybe its not spacious, but not deplorable either...and it can't be any worse than a 3 series.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Phantom Gray Performance
45 Posts
I put my summer tires back on last week and, man, I have been missing so much this winter. I put it in Track mode and just drive.
I don't care about pot holes in the road...I just LOVE the feeling of it.

It reminds me of an Equus review in Car and Driver from several years ago that said something like: "In a BMW, there is certain comfort in knowing you are driving over rocks".
I can't agree more. Yes, I feel every bump and I LOVE it!!! It's not harsh and I might even hear it more than I feel it. And it never throws the car off-course, so who cares?

There are now officially 2 things I REALLY hate about this car: winter and traffic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't you start a thread last fall about the same thing, lets do this already! :) Isn't being "blown away" enough to get you to sample this fantastic vehicle? Don't be a brand whore, get the Vsport. By the way, I'm 6'-3" and fit in the back seat just fine (when the driver seat is adjusted for me), so maybe its not spacious, but not deplorable either...and it can't be any worse than a 3 series.
Ha! Very true...only 2 things holding me back:

1. I can get a (roughly) equivalently loaded used 3-series for about $10,000 less (admittedly, a 2013 335i M-Sport vs. a 2014 V-Sport...of course, there's no 2013 V-Sport) - maybe if I can hold out another 2-3 months, I can find one for about $40K (I'm only considering a Premium model)
2. My wife doesn't like it

p.s. I'm 6'-6"...and I'm all torso (and so are my growing boys), so headroom in the back is the issue...and it's actually WORSE than the 3 series

1 - 20 of 21 Posts