Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking something is wrong with mine. There's literally no difference between tour mode and sport mode. The ride and the handling is exactly the same. I thought this is because of something wrong, but the dealer can't find anything.

When I first got the car I seem to remember it was a night and day difference between the two modes. Now, nothing. Anyone else with the same experience?

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Nope, there is a clear difference between the two modes. It was the same in my V sedan after 45k miles as it was when I drove it off the lot.

In Sport mode, the steering is tighter and the ride is firmer. In the turns, there is noticeably less body roll (to me).

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible
102 Posts
In Sport mode, the steering is tighter and the ride is firmer. In the turns, there is noticeably less body roll (to me).
I don't believe steering effort is affected by the suspension mode switch. Steering effort is increased by turning Stabillitrak to sport mode or off.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
76 Posts
Drive over your FAVORITE bumpy road and change the setting. You should be able to feel the suspension stiffening up as your ride comfort will definitely decrease.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I don't believe steering effort is affected by the suspension mode switch. Steering effort is increased by turning Stabillitrak to sport mode or off.
Steering sure feels tighter to me in both Vs I've owned.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I notice the steering changes by turning Stabilitrak to sport mode or off as well.

----------

Drive over your FAVORITE bumpy road and change the setting. You should be able to feel the suspension stiffening up as your ride comfort will definitely decrease.
I did this with a bumpy road close to my house and there was no difference. I've even enlisted family members and friends to ride with me thinking maybe I'm just crazy.... but they can't tell a difference either.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe
205 Posts
I can feel the difference -- but I can honestly say after a few seconds it is hard to tell -- but definitely stiffer in sport mode

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I'm on my 2nd V and I agree there is little/no noticeable difference in feeling of ride between sport and tour mode.

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon
1,348 Posts
Wow, I can every little bump in the road in Sport mode, in touring mode it's a pretty nice ride. I'd think the dealer could hook the tech 2 test tool up the OBD port under the dash and hit the sport/touring button on the dash and verify the system is ok and it's going into sport mode. Ask the Service Manager at the dealer if they will do this for you, especially if the car is still under factory warrantee.

·
Registered
'13 V
379 Posts
There is definitely a difference, but as some have indicated it can be subtle. It is not (for me anyway) night and day. And i second that the steering gets stiffer when the stabilitrak is in competition mode, not with sport vs touring magnetic ride changes.

·
Registered
Black Raven 2012 CTS V Sedan Thundar Gray 2007 STS V Sedan
98 Posts
If you put everything in to sport/competition mode and one at a time put it into touring, you will see the difference. The car feels stiff to me. There is a freeway off ramp the is quite sharp (25 MP ) suggested speed :cool2:. I drive it often. I have taken it at 50 and the car does well, and i feel I should not push it... I turn on competitive mode and WOW!!!:worship: I have been way past that and the car gripped the road and no body roll...I love this car...

·
Registered
2009 CTSV bone stock
627 Posts
Go check your shocks, maybe they have leaked fluid and lost some damping ability.

12,778 Posts
Vettegirl, if you're still experiencing concerns and would like to involve your dealership, please let me know. I'm happy to investigate further for you and check for any recalls that may be open on your V. Feel free to email me anytime at [email protected] for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
On a smooth straight road you might not notice any difference, but hit a turn aggressively and you will notice better steering response and a more buttoned-down feeling.

Jud

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
I just went for a drive at lunch (75º in Vegas today, windows and sunroof open), and switched the suspension from tour to sport and back a few times on different road surfaces to see how noticeable it was. It was pretty noticeable, even on smoother roads. In tour it soaks up bumps and minute surface changes real well, but it definitely hardens up in sport. In sport, even on what seemed like pretty smooth roads, I could still feel little bumps and undulations in the pavement that I couldn't feel in tour.

So if you really can't feel a difference when going to sport mode it might not be a bad idea to get them looked at for leaks and for a diagnostic. I think the difference is pronounced enough to say you really should be able to feel it.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
^^^ - +1 and, I can feel the stiffer steering in competition mode as well.

Rob

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
^^^^
+2 and I knew I wasn't hallucinating about the steering, among other items.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Yeah, and you guys that use the "V" as a track car, you're the best because GM will use your experience. Racing always improves street cars; but remember that we're driving luxury cars. Ha haa!

Jud

1 - 20 of 27 Posts