Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of want to put new mufflers on my car (1996 STS) but I don't know which brand carries the best mufflers for our Northstars. Here's what I am looking for:

The mufflers need a nice performance sound when idling and revving, but when I am driving along at 70-80 MPH on the highway I want to be able to hear the radio without much interruption from behind.

Any suggestions? I also want to keep the stock tips, so the mufflers will attach to them. Should I get a new pipe too or just the mufflers?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I also searched some videos to make a comparison a few hrs ago . My thought flowmasters for big bodies , magna for FWD Caddies

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.
Below is a video I pulled from YouTube. This '97 STS has Flowmasters. These are the first I have heard but they sound nice. I also saw them on a 98+ STS and they sounded like one of those old trucks. I tend to agree with 'CadillacBoy' on his theory...

Good...

Bad...

Edit: maybe they're BOTH too truck-like...

·
Registered
873 Posts
That first video doesnt sound bad. CadillacSTS2003 has a couple vids and in one the exhaust sounds real nice. I think it was on his ETC.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You're welcome ,glad to help you

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, but it's a custom system.

That first video doesnt sound bad. CadillacSTS2003 has a couple vids and in one the exhaust sounds real nice. I think it was on his ETC.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
A couple of Corsa and a couple of a Ferrari 355 muffler on a Northstar

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
flow and mag are the biggest wastes of money PERIOD
look up xlerator performance exhaust by goerlich http://www.goerlichs.com/product_sub_pages/products_PERxlerator.asp
same performance at HALF the cost
they were ACTUALLY being sued by flowmaster because the mufflers look EXACTLY the same
i have a set on my STS, and if the damn thing would decide to run right long enough to stay outta the friggen shop id shoot a vid of it
my ETC has Jones Performance Exhaust, Full Boar Series http://www.jonesexhaust.com/
and yes as my ETC my STS has 3 inch pipe into a 2.5 inch Y, you can get universal mufflers with a 2.25 in and out for a direct fit into the stock exhaust, for 93-97 STS with N* you need offset offset, 98+ offset center

you can KIND of hear my exhaust at idle here
and at wot here when the tranny finally catches in gear

obviously the only vids i have of her is when shes acting like a who*e to prove to the dealer im not crazy when they say they cannot reproduce the problem...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
lol
my etcs that quite believe it or not
also remember i removed the resonator as well as added 3 inch pipe

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. I'll look at the Xlerators when I go in for an estimate. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... tomorrow I am getting Flowmaster's 40 Series installed. Not too loud and not to quite... they should be a fair choice for the Cadillac.
I am shooting video of the stock mufflers today and I'll shoot the Flowmasters tomorrow after they're installed (45 min install).

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know what this red SLS has for exhaust? I actually REALLY like that one. That's about the most muscular-sounding Northstar exhaust I've heard yet.
Those are Flowmaster 40's...I like the series 50 a little more though:yup:, little quieter inside the car. When do my exhaust Im gonna go with 2.5" from the resonator all the way back to the tips with the series 50s in the mix.
I cant wait!!!:lildevil:

series 50...

series 40...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts